5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Windows file access issues - can't update, campaigns not saving, etc. Fix options.

With a number of users experiencing changes/issues with Windows file permissions it sometimes becomes necessary for a change to make sure that Fantasy Grounds can update correctly, save campaign data, characters and player caches OK. The following info provides three separate fixes to file access problems on Windows PCs.

From Moon Wizards (FG developer) posted here:

There are 3 fixes to this issue:

1. [BEST LONG TERM FIX] Launch FG and click on Settings. Change the Data Directory to a folder other than "C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds", where your currently logged in user has full read/write permissions. (Such as "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds") Then re-run a Check for Update. You may need to move any campaigns from the old location to the new location after a change.
    2. Change the permissions on the C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds folder to allow read & write access to the currently logged in user (or the Everyone group).
    3. Change FG shortcut link to Run as Administrator. (Last resort if all else fails - but be aware that this might mean FG overrides other app functionality - like push-to-talk in TeamSpeak).

This [v3.1.7] update adjusts the installer to prevent the majority of the situations that would cause this error, but does not fix previous installations.

Regards,
    JPG

Cloud Sync solutions
    In addition to fixing file access issues mentioned above, *DO NOT* sync your FG App Data directory to the cloud using cloud sync solutions such as DropBox, Box, Google Drive, iCloud, etc.. These have been known to corrupt live FG data, so don't use these to do an online sync your FG data.
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 16th, 2017 at 02:00.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I just did all three things at once. I hope this fixed the sudden issues I have with my campaigns where every single thing in it, is sudden "public". I don't want my players to see my story notes....

Vires Animi

Quote Originally Posted by viresanimi View Post
    I hope this fixed the sudden issues I have with my campaigns where every single thing in it, is sudden "public".
    This issue is not caused by the file access permissions this thread is referring to. If you haven't done so already, please start a new thread related to your issue. Thanks.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information