FG Spreadshirt Swag

Attack and crit Chart automation?

I am curious as to why the attack roll to charts was never automated? Seems like it should have been possible, or am I wrong in my understanding of how FG works?

Sure would speed up game play, if the attack roll automatically produced the chart results, rather than the GM still looking them up?

The RMC ruleset does look up the results if you are rolling the attacks from the combat tracker. You can also drag dice results from the chat window to a table in the table resolver and it will go to the appropriate column. It definitely speeds up game play. Combats tend to take a fraction of the time they used to when I did it the old fashioned way.

odd, In te two games I have been in with Hawkwind.. It seemed like we would use the combat tracker to roll.. then he would do something (likely drag and drop the die result onto the chart) to produce the result on his end... which seemed to take as long as looking it up manually... Though to be fair, last session the Program was lagging up quite a bit...

If it is possible for it to do it all by the Players Roll with the GM dragging and dropping, It seems that would be quicker, but has me wondering why hawkwind wasn't using that method... Is it more resource intensive on the System/Program?

There are still a few things that can slow it down. Since you've played as a PC, let me give a brief explanation of what happens on the GM side.

1. PC rolls the attack.
    2. Table Resolver opens if it isn't already open and the attack is added to the Table Resolver Stack. Multiple items can be in the Stack.
    3. The GM right clicks on the item in the Stack and selects Resolve from the radial menu. This fills in all the modifiers in the Modifiers list, the attack roll with the total roll with modifiers and the attack table with the result selected.
    4. The GM can then drag the result from the attack table to the defender's Name or Hits field in the Combat Tracker to apply the damage. (The current beta version allows dragging the result to the defender's token if the attacker targeted the token.)
    5. The GM then right click on the attack result to resolve the critical. This radial menu has the selection for the critical from the attack result and options for the Large, Super Large, and additional criticals.
    6. When the GM selects an entry from the attack result radial menu, the bottom right of the Table Resolver displays the critical table with the appropriate critical column selected. (It splits the table resolver to show both tables.)
    7. The GM has the player roll the critical roll (1d100).
    8. The GM drags the results d100 result from the chat window to the critical table in the Table Resolver. The critical table will automatically select the appropriate column.
    9. The GM drags the critical results to the defender just like the attack results to apply the critical.

There are a few places where it can slow down for me as a GM. Just off the top of my head:
    * If I am not clearing out the stack as I go it can take some time tracking down the appropriate attack. There is a preference to automatically clear the stack when you resolve an attack which I use so I don't have this issue much anymore.
    * I like to review the modifier list to verify everything is included that should be included.
    * Sometimes I fudge the rolls by changing the initial roll, adding a modifier, or just selecting a different table result. This is usually to help someone that has been having bad luck. I don't like to pile on when things are going wrong since we are playing to have fun.
    * I use fate points in my game so I tend to read the critical result to the PC before applying it.

Hopefully that helps. For the most part it goes pretty quickly if the PCs are ready when it is there turn.

that does help, but makes me wonder, Are the Pcs and Npcs Tokens attached to their Info in the tracker?

If so, Could it not be set up to where the "Tables" are attached to each PC/NPC or more specifically, To the Weapon entry on the character sheet, or in the Tracker?
    So that you could remove all the dragging?
    At most, the GM would tick off on the Target or th Player on his PC, the appropriate Modifiers, Then the Player rolls and the Result is automatically created and out put by the roll, without all the dragging.

I have actually seen this done in another VTT program (have no Idea about the macroing involved in how it was done). But when the Token of the attacker "Targeted" the token of a defender and the the roll/Attack was made it did pop open an Option window for the Defender to choose what defending action they were taking, they checked the box and hit okay and boom the result of the attack was calculated and outputted to chat.

Is Something like that even possible with FG? Would it make things quicker and functionally smoother? Or would it bog the system down further?

Would be nice, even for Maneuvers, if the Skill was attached to the Maneuver table and you just ticked the difficulty. Player rolls and it auto spits out the result with the Gm doing any dragging.

Sorry if I am throwing Headache Ideas at you.... Just wondering what could make it quicker.

I am used to using the Combat Minion Now, which basically gives a 1 or 2 Click result.

Most of what you are mentioning is actually handled automatically now. It does include the attacker and defender in the roll so the Table Resolver can determine the appropriate modifiers. Occasionally someone will forget to include or remove something so I need to make adjustments but that rarely takes long.

Most of what I mentioned that can slow me down are just things that would be a part of my game even if I didn't use FG so it isn't really making it slower than doing it manually.

Automatically applying the attack and critical results to the defender hasn't been implemented yet. It is doable but creates a few potential issues. I have it on my list to include in the ruleset but haven't had a chance to implement it yet.

MM skills get added to the Stack in the Table Resolver.

No headaches. I think if you saw the GM side first hand it would help you to see just how much of it is automated. Keep the thoughts coming. I've implemented quite a few features based on feedback I've received.

well.. that is coming, son as I can save some spare csh.. hopefully this week. But hey, THank you for all the great work. so far, the character creation is pretty good and combat was great.

I play D&D 5E and am currently DMing Hoard of the Dragon Queen and I also have that problem. If my creatures or NPC's score a crit it does not double the dice rolled. I need to activate the extra dice accordingly.
    Patou a.k.a: Patmaster
    Challenging players since 1987
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    https://twitter.com/PatouLeFou
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

Quote Originally Posted by Patou View Post
    I play D&D 5E and am currently DMing Hoard of the Dragon Queen and I also have that problem. If my creatures or NPC's score a crit it does not double the dice rolled. I need to activate the extra dice accordingly.
    It does if you drag the tokens from the combat tracker to the map and then target by using CTRL-click.

But on topic, will a CoreRPG version be able to handle this sort of automation?

That's the plan. I just need life to provide me with more time to work on it.

Thread Information