FG Spreadshirt Swag

Help w/ an Overview of the System

Hi friends,

I'm the advance guard from my group--I just bought a $39 license for FG, and I'm supposed to scope out how this would work for our group to run a 5E campaign (we have used D20Pro and 3.5 before). I saw that there are several guides in the sticky section, and I also there is a tutorial module I can download. That looks very helpful, but seems to be about the mechanics of the game--how you do various tasks within the system. While I will need that, what I would like help with now is the big picture: a system-level view of what I need to to run a group. Here's my current understanding:

• I already have a licensed copy of FG, and so I think that means I can host games for people who also have a license, either a purchase or subscription.
    • I think that copy has all the mechanics, but not the content. If I want to play 5E, or Pathfinder, or whatever, I either have to use my existing books (DM Guide, PHB, etc.) to build in content, or pay to get a sort of pre-loaded version of the books I own.
    • I think I can either by-hand build campaigns, or buy existing ones to run my players through.
    • I think my players either need to roll up their characters and let me build them into my game, or they will need to buy a PHB/Class-Pack and then send me their character some way.
    • I think that to minimize labor, I would need to a) re-buy all my books, b) my players would need to buy either PHB or Classpack + have a valid license/subscription, and c) I need to buy a campaign/dungeon.

Am I tracking? Thanks!

Welcome Mbando,

In order, quick answers:
    1) Correct. If you have a standard license then all players will need at least a standard (purchase or subscription).
    2) 5E, Pathfinder and 3.5E come with SRD (OGL) material library modules. 5E also has the D&D Basic Rules in a library module. There are also a lot of community produced Pathfinder OGL material available to download: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ist-of-Modules Outside of OGL/SRD material then you'll have to enter it manually or get some of the commercial products.
    3) Correct. If you run your games using voice (I'd recommend you do) the amount of data you need in FG is really: maps/images, NPCs (put in encounters), tokens, items/treasure parcels. The rest you verbally describe.
    4) Players can join your game (campaign in FG terms) - while in your campaign they have access to any material you have purchased and share with them, plus the SRD/OGL material you share. They can create their character while connected to your campaign - most people will do it this way. Or, if they can use their own FG products and create a PC themselves (in manage characters or their own PC generation campaign) and either email you the exported PC or upload it when they join your game.
    5) To completely minimise your labour, then you probably will want the PHB, MM and DMG; plus the scenario/s you plan to run. At a minimum the players will need a standard licence - they won't need any character related packs if you have the PHB (complete class pack) and they do character creation/maintenance within your campaign.

I'd recommend you activate the 5E SRD and Basic Rules library modules in a test campaign and see what they give you - they have a lot of spells, monsters and base character creation libraries. This will give you an idea if you want to splash out and get the full blown versions of the PHB, MM and DMG.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi Mbando,

Yes, currently you can only host games for other players who have paid copies of the game. If you want to host for players who have the free version, you'll need either the Ultimate license, $115 upgrade cost for you, since you already own the $40 version, or the $10/month Ultimate subscription. The Ultimate is nice since it allows you to introduce FG to new players who might not want to commit to the purchase, or are skeptical of how bad *** it is.

I highly recommend getting the sourcebook modules. It's WAY MORE than a digital book. The sourcebook modules (PHB, MM, and DMG) really take a lot of the manual labor out of building, running and maintaining a game. FG is a fantastic tool for game management and the digital sourcebooks really allow you to do it well. Namely, the drag-and-drop capabilities. Simple things like basic equipment, armor and weapons are all pre-built, so players can drag from the sourcebook, directly to their character sheet. And as the party advances in level, you'll be able to update gear, add notes and above all, provided consistency for your players.

As a long time FG DM, I do a mix of both pre-built published campaigns and custom ones. With the pre-built campaigns you'll have to review them just like you would a printed version. They're not always perfect and do require a little tweaking here and there. But Doug and Co. have gotten more efficient at turning out these modules, so it's getting tighter. I also build a lot of my own content. With FG's export capabilities, you can create a bunch of custom content for use with your group. And since you can export the content out as modules, you can use all or just parts of that content over and over again.

When it comes to character creation, players have two options: They can build their character in your campaign, or they can build it on their own, in their own copy of FG and then export it, only to import it once they've logged into your campaign. I have a separate campaign for each group I play with. And at the end of each session, I save the .xml character sheet, and send it to my players, so they always have an updated copy of their character sheet. However, if you have modules that your players do not, then a copy of their CS from your campaign, may not work the same on their version of FG w/o the same module. None of my players use modules on their own, they simply use the modules that I've purchased once they've connected to the campaign.

To minimize labor, then only you would need the sourcebook modules. You can buy them on your own, or have the whole group pitch in to split the cost. I think Doug and Co. have a bundle discount right now as well. Really, I wouldn't think about it as "re-buying" your books. Really what your purchasing is access to manageable and customizable content. There was a lot of coding and programming that went into those sourcebook modules so that automation and ease of use are archived. I initially tried to just use the print version of my books, but I soon found that I was manually typing in a bunch of information, over and over again. The money I spent on the FG digital sourcebooks was worth it since it instantly freed me from data entry and allowed me to start building adventures for my players. I still make some custom stuff, but really, I open a copy of something from a sourcebook and edit a new version of it. Bam, WAY faster while not losing any DM customization. As far as purchasing published adventure modules, that's up to you. All you're getting with the modules are maps, items, NPCs and monsters for the module itself.

There's also a program called PAR5E. It's not THE best, and it doesn't work at 100% efficiency but it does allow you to make additional custom content and is fairly simple to learn. But... because the program is what the current content creation is built on, it is a little gimped so as not to make the purchasable content on the FG store obsolete. If PAR5E worked like it used to, then there would be no need to buy anything from FG, since you could make it all yourself, so its wings have been clipped.

I hope this helps. I know Trenloe gave you the quick answers, so I wanted to provide a more in-depth look for you.

Best,

Jake

Blog Entries
    Welcome.

Absolutely start with the SRD and Basic D&D modules.
    I think far and away you are likely to buy the PHB as well once you have tried those.
    You will know if and when you want other add on products.
    There are some fantastic conversions of the official modules if you want to play those. These have the additional advantage of easing your learning and prep curve as the GM.

STOP!, and go and do the tutorial. 1st as an overview, and then 2nd as a lesson, then 3rd to capture those points that are so cool. Features that when you read it the first time caught your attention but complete forgot about because everything is a cool features and this is a run on sentence..... And when it CLICKS, Then you tell your group how you just drag the effect and BAM. Or that it calculates xp, automatically BAM. And that The entire module is All ready to go with more detail than a DM can ever remember BAM!!! Then you show the group!

Then Bam!

VR Gaming on I9 9900K RTX 3090 ( 4k on the go on I7 6700HQ 965M )
    Fantasy Grounds Ultimate in HD
    member_gqwebb

Sorry for not responding sooner--life and all--but thank you all for the detailed and thoughtful responses/suggestions. Ima play with the tutorial now

If you're poor/frugal, I'd suggest starting with the Players Handbook and a pre-built module, like Lost Mines of Phandelver. The module will have all the monsters/magic items that you need for that module.
    Of course, if you're going to create your own adventures/modules -- then getting the Monster Manual and Dungeon Masters Guide will save a lot of time.
    Also, you should play as a player at least once, so you can get an idea of at least one person's idea of what's easy, what's harder but worth it, and what not to bother with.
    When you start to GM, start with as few options as possible -- don't start a level 10 campaign. That way you can learn what you need as you need to -- asking here, reading there. Trying to learn the whole thing all at once is daunting.

Blog Entries
    I believe ffugita is spot on. I find myself in unfamiliar territory and now have to be very frugal. PHB does a lot of heavy lifting! Almost a must. Run the free (4e) Tales of Dinor module, and a couple of the Adventurers League campaigns (Harried in Hillsfar) are free or nearly so. These will allow you and your players to stumble through a few adventures as you ramp up on the FG learning curve, without a huge initial $$ outlay.

Being fairly new to Fg and having recently had my first experience as a dm in Fantasy Grounds, i would suggest keeping it as simple as possible for your first session.

DM-Kevin - Current campaign running: D&D 5.0 Tomb of Annihilation -

Blog Entries
    Keeping it simple is great advice.
    There is soooo much that can be done it is easy to be overwhelmed and not to present the game you wanted to in the end.
    Start with Story, Images, Maps, Combat (Combat, Combat , Combat). Get those right (particularly Combat!) and then when you are ready add in effects and other things.

Thread Information