STAR TREK 2d20

Almost sold on this...

I have 2 concerns:

1) I keep hearing about crashes to desktop. Have these issues mainly been addressed or is this a real problem? There are few things more annoying than crashes to desktop... particualary if a DM crash knocks everyone off.

2) I noticed that there appears to be no way to track anything (like hp) on the tokens. I wasn't looking for a detailed stat list or anything but an expandable blank note would be nice to track damage and the like. This would mainly be for large numbers of the same monster type. Is this just missing in the demo and availabe in the real game?

I really like the open feel to the game. It feels like you're free to do anything you could at table and the interface is intuitive. That's important because I don't want my low-tech players to be intimidated by a difficult looking program. I looked at a competing program and I felt trapped by all the features that are geared toward specific game systems.

Chaindog

Re: Almost sold on this...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaindog
    I have 2 concerns:

1) I keep hearing about crashes to desktop. Have these issues mainly been addressed or is this a real problem? There are few things more annoying than crashes to desktop... particualary if a DM crash knocks everyone off.
    in my limited experience, i've had very few crashes or glitches. however, it seemed limited to my computer only, since the other players didn't say anything about it at the time. the 1 glitch that i have had, was cleared up when i restarted FG. the dm for our game did crash once, but he was running a whole host of other things too. i've seen his computer, and i'd bet that he was likely running several instances of Acrobat Reader, a media player, multiple (10+) IM windows, multiple IE windows, and more. frankly, i'm not surprised that he doesn't crash more often. we were able to restart right were we left off, since FG does autosave. frequently. repeatedly.

stormmaster

Re: Almost sold on this...

In my biased way of seeing it, we've been able to locate most of the crash bugs reported, and left none of them without special attention. I share your view on them. There are a couple more squished in the 1.04 patch coming out this week, but most of them are now really related to special scenarios such as extra huge images being used.

2) I noticed that there appears to be no way to track anything (like hp) on the tokens. I wasn't looking for a detailed stat list or anything but an expandable blank note would be nice to track damage and the like. This would mainly be for large numbers of the same monster type. Is this just missing in the demo and availabe in the real game?
    This function is really supposed to be covered by the combat tracker. As for automating this on the token level, I think you sort of answer it the way we see it:

I really like the open feel to the game. It feels like you're free to do anything you could at table and the interface is intuitive. That's important because I don't want my low-tech players to be intimidated by a difficult looking program.
    We didn't want to tie statistics to any particular token, or a token to any particular statistics. I know I run a lot of situations completely without a map of any kind. I also have tokens that don't have any statistics. (Player: "So if this is the guard house, are there any guards here?", GM, having forgotten to write up any guards, plops down a couple of tokens: "There, these guys look sleepy and a bit drunk")
    Tero Parvinen
    Fantasy Grounds Guru

Thread Information