5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Blog Entries
    I wish I could be of more assistance, but after reinstalling Fantasy Grounds I have been unable to consistently repeat the behavior. Here is what I have discovered though. I hope this is of some help.

I have several campaigns that I have been editing (adding new pages and adding text to some existing pages). An example campaign of mine is called “Shackles”. I examined Security Properties of the C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds\campaigns\Shackles folder. There are five Group and/or User names with defined permissions: (1) Creator owner, (2) System, (3) Thomas, (4) Administrators and (5) Users. “Thomas” is my login account name, with administrator privileges. If the Thomas name is defined then I have no problems editing and saving the story line. If the Thomas name is missing from the list then I will have problems. The console window will pop up and I will receive error messages in the console stating permission denied. By the way, if one Creates a New Campaign in the Fantasy Grounds Launcher, and then examines the new campaign folder’s Security Properties all five Group and/or User Names are present. I have no idea how the one user name gets dropped.

Secondly. I was editing a campaign story, will say “Campaign1”, and it was exhibiting the inability to save (due to permission denied). I closed Fantasy Grounds down, relaunched it and created a new campaign, say “Campaign2”. I was then able to edit both campaigns without failures. After a few edit sessions, Campaign1 started to exhibit the defective behavior again. I was only able to observe this behavior once, and I have tried numerous times to repeat it. Also, I did not look at the number of Group and/or User Names in the Security Properties during this time. I was not aware of the odd missing User name behavior until much after this “new campaign” behavior.

Please recall I have been working with two PCs, both were exhibiting the undesirable permission denied behavior. Using Menu | Run… I uninstalled Fantasy Grounds on one of the PCs using “C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe” –u Then I deleted the app folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds and the data folder: C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds This to get a relatively clean install of v3.1.6. After reinstalling Fantasy Grounds (v3.1.6) to my “clean” PC I have not been able to repeat the permission denied behavior. I went to the second PC, ensured that it was exhibiting the undesired permission denied behavior, and it was. I then repeated the uninstall and reinstall to a clean PC scenario. On the second PC I have been unable to repeat the undesirable behavior. So as near as I can tell the undesired behavior is never present on a new install (of v3.1.6).

I really apologize for not being able to provide you with more concise data to effective troubleshoot this issue. I will keep attempting to reproduce the issue and provide you with more information. Hopefully I haven’t just muddied the waters. Thank you for your time and efforts, I really do appreciate and enjoy Fantasy Grounds.

Blog Entries
    Oops. I just saw the "help wanted" post. I'd be more than happy to assist, if you like.
    Two Windows 7 PCs.
    (One concern: I was never able to repeat the behavior with clean or new installs - so that's a bit disconcerting. But I'll give it a go.)

Blog Entries
    I think I know how to reproduce now...

Close FG. Delete 4E.pak, run FG and then run the Updater. This will Invoke the installers permissions.
    Create a new campaign and create a story entry.
    Close FG.
    Run FG and try and save some changes into the new campaign.

If that is right the reason it hasnt been seen a LOT is that it would only affect campaigns that were created on the same session as you ran the updater and even then some people with elevated User permissions wouldnt be affected either.

Blog Entries
    This is consistent with my "non" observations. In both cases I rebooted after install (old habit from early PC days). That would kill the session.

have done these steps and changed permissions However i am still receiving the Error

Runtime Error: Unable to save file (C:/ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds/GlobalRegistry.lua) - Error (13): Permission denied
    Database Notice: Campaign saved.

any other things to try

I am using windows 10
    Eastern Standard Time zone: fun loving player that doesn't take a lot serious

Quote Originally Posted by Zzclown View Post
    have done these steps and changed permissions However i am still receiving the Error

Runtime Error: Unable to save file (C:/ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds/GlobalRegistry.lua) - Error (13): Permission denied

any other things to try

I am using windows 10
    To take ownership of a file or folder
    Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.
    Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
    Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

I would also recommend printing the file causing the problem and jumping on it.

VR Gaming on I9 9900K RTX 3090 ( 4k on the go on I7 6700HQ 965M )
    Fantasy Grounds Ultimate in HD
    member_gqwebb

any other things to try

I am using windows 10
    Saw the same problem for one of my players who is/was running the Demo version. We just shifted the data directory to one directly under the root. "c:/fg" to be specific. Problem solved, and then we just copied all the files from the old data directory there.
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

See the solution in post #3 here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...mission-denied
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information