STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

manual entry dice dialog box, possible?

I have been using Fantasy Grounds to play with my groups in person and it works really well. It gets a lot of the cumbersome stuff out of the way, and as someone who as played D&D since 2nd edition I can really appreciate a session where the focus is on the decision, the action, the RP, the fun stuff...

But we all love dice... that feeling of holding the die and letting it roll on the table and the anticipation of the result really is an important part of the experience. To make FG perfect I want to be able to incorporate manual rolls into my in person sessions. I know I can always just do manual calculations as well and just use FG for reference and tracking, but the perfect solution would be to have a setting that would make every roll spawn a dialog box where I could input a manual entry to replace the result of the random function FG usually uses.

My question really is, is this possible? Could I change a ruleset? Make an extension? to make that dialog box system?

I've seen some people use some tricks with hotbars and what not and that is really not what I'm looking for, I would like it to be seamless.

Thank you.

Best,

DN

There's certainly nothing in existence that would do that and I'm not at all sure if such a thing could be done with an extension. I suspect that whilst it might be possible it would not be an easy task since you would need to access so much of the internal mechanisms of the software.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

See this post and he links thread for options: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post249456

Damage can easily be accomplished now by using the d0 option mentioned in the linked threads. Other rolls (attacks, saves, etc.) would need the individual action modifying as they are coded to automatically use the d20. You would head to make an extension that prompts the GM to enter a dice roll value that could intercept the specific action onDiceLanded event and replace the dice result with the number entered in the manual dice field.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for both replies.

Trenloe, thanks again for helping out, in your experience do you think this is technically feasible? It sounds like it might be too much of a pain to do it but most importantly to maintain it across updates.

If it's possible I might give it a try...

Attached below is a quick extension I threw together as a proof of concept and to get you going if you want to take it further. This is for the 5E ruleset. I've put some comments in the files in the extension.

There is a new window that allows the GM to enter the attack roll manually before rolling an attack, to open this window type /openwindow manualattackroll in the chat window. You might want to drag this to one of the hotkeys (you can see I've done this in the screenshot below). This is just for quick testing - you could easily make a button to open this window.

Operation

1. Open the "Manual Die Roll Entry" window with the chat command /openwindow manualattackroll
    2. Before you roll an attack, enter the result of the players die roll in the "d20 roll" field in this window.
    3. Roll the attack. The die will roll as usual (or two for a advantage/disadvantage roll) but the number entered in the "d20 roll" field will be used as the roll result. The field will be cleared to 0 after the roll.

The manual entry will only be used if the window is open and there is a number greater than 0 in the "d20 roll" field. If there is a 0 or the window is closed the normal dice roll will be used.

Example below - the dice roll was a 1, but his has been overridden by an 18 entered in the manual "d20 roll" field, which now shows 0 as it is cleared after each use.

Attachment 14188

Gotchas
    • This will only work for the GM as the /openwindow chat command only works for the host (GM) - it could be made to work for the players pretty easily by adding a button to open the manual die result window.
    • It only works for single attacks. If there are multiple targets, the first die to land will use the manually entered number and the subsequent dice to land will use actual dice roll. The code could be changed to cater for multiple die rolls with multiple "d20 roll" fields.
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 27th, 2016 at 15:03.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by davidnog View Post
    It sounds like it might be too much of a pain to do it but most importantly to maintain it across updates.
    Yeah, to do this fully for all possible dice rolls (FG "actions") would require changes for each action where a player rolls - of which there 14 different actions in the 5E ruleset (you could probably reduce this to 10-11 or less depending on what the players actually want to roll).

Each action change is done to the action manager script for each specific action. These can change with FG updates and so it can become a constant task to check for changes with each FG update and apply the extension code back into the effected action scripts. It's doable, just be prepared each time FG has a new version as not updating the extension could break base action operations (at worse) or miss out on new features/bug fixes (at best)!

Great Scott, Trenloe. You ARE the man.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I know it sounds terrible, but this would be very useful for when I need to pull punches if the party is close to a TPK >.<

Trenloe, you Sir are awesome.

I will for sure pursue this, thank you so very much for the POC, I cannot imagine a better way for me to get into FG extensions.

Can't wait to try this at the table!

Quote Originally Posted by spite View Post
    I know it sounds terrible, but this would be very useful for when I need to pull punches if the party is close to a TPK >.<
    Yep. This works for all attack rolls from both a PC and a NPC as they use the same FG "attack" action code, so you could preset some lower NPC attack rolls if you wanted to keep the poor lambs, err... I mean PCs alive.

Thread Information