DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Class Extensions

Can anyone point to documentation about how class implementations interact? I'm working in 5E, though I'm not sure it's an edition specific question.

While experimenting with the cleric class to add custom domains, I added a new base feature to the cleric class I created that is campaign specific. When comparing how Unity added a core domain and my campaign-specific variation, I noticed that the cleric class selected from the PHB added my campaign feature to the character. I realize I could tie it to the custom domains which should filter it from the PHB cleric, but I am planning on adding a large number of domains, and that is going to create a lot of clutter in the feature list.

On that note, is there a limit to how far you can extend a class like cleric? Should the approach be to divide this type of extension across multiple class entries? If so, how would you tie them back together? For example, if 10 custom domains are split across 2 cleric classes, can the domain selection be merged or would you have to know which class contained which domain?

I also am wondering how levels of the same class from different sources interact. Are they treated as the same class? As multi-class? In the case of clerics, is this going to break the domain ability progression if the domain isn't in both classes? Is is safe to add initial class levels from the PHB and additional levels from another source if the class ability doesn't appear until higher levels? For example, two levels from the PHB paladin and then a variant one form a source that provides a new paladin oath.

Moved to the 5E forum for better visibility.
    JPG

Here's a couple of videos which go into creating classes and archetypes https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Creation-Video

If those don't answer your questions then come back and ask.

As far as multiclassing is concerned the archetypes are given at the same point whenever the class gets it's archetypes - so a level 3 Fighter/level 1 Cleric would have the fighter archetype and a Cleric archetype since fighters get their archetype at level 3 and clerics at level 1. Abilities received via the archetype would be added at the level that is specified in the ability. So it's possible that, depending on how many levels that you take in each class, not all of the archetype abilities might be gained.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I've watched the videos. Some multiple times. They were quite useful and informative, but not remotely close to addressing the questions I'm asking here.

You example about archetypes is not what I'm asking about. I was asking about mixing levels from the SAME class using different sources.

Thread Information