5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Monster Packs vs. MM.

My question is..does anyone know if there's any difference between the two once you own all ten packs vs the Monster Manual? I ask because I'm a little strapped for cash, but want to pick up the DMG. The MM also looks good, but if I can pick up maybe three or four packs instead and not lose out on some tables or anything in the end once I buy them all, that'd be nice.

Also apologies if this isn't the correct forum to ask such a question in~

Blog Entries
    Same content. One module open vs 10.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I picked the MM up when it first came out, I don't know about each pack but each Module has the monster included. And that is my problem with the monsters spread out everywhere. and monster hunting here there and everywhere. If you and looking at getting a module then get it before you decide about the monster packs. That is my 2 cents. Cheers
    VR Gaming on I9 9900K RTX 3090 ( 4k on the go on I7 6700HQ 965M )
    Fantasy Grounds Ultimate in HD
    member_gqwebb

Also what you could do is use the Basic Rules, and purchase gift certificates as you can then redeem them for the whole books at onces.

Welcome Skyquake to Fantasy Grounds and to the forums.

If you are going to be purchasing any of the adventures then you won't need the Monster Manual since all of the NPCs will be in the adventure that you will need. Also FG now comes with quite a few monsters built in so it will depend on which ones you need or want whether the MM becomes a 'necessary' purchase.

Each pack of NPCs comes with all of the information needed to 'run' that pack so you won't miss out on anything by buying them all separately.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Beautiful, folks. Appreciate all the answers and information. Made my life a whole lot easier in deciding how to go about it.

Blog Entries
    Id buy the MM over the DMG. Buy the DMG when you have saved enough

I agree with damned on the order of purchase. I'm running just fine off of PHB and MM, with DMG a planned purchase for the future, but not necessarily a priority.

Of course, if you're not generating homebrew encounters or adventures, you may not need MM at all, since as others have said the pre-written modules come with their own monsters and NPCs statted out in them already.

Plus, you don't *need* the MM - you can always enter the monsters you need into FG manually. Tutorial video on this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-POluSDHAc

Of course, if you're entering a lot of creatures and/or you want to have the creature art, then buying the MM will save you a lot of time and provide the artwork too.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi, I bought Humanoid Monster Pack, for 4.99. Will I have a Discount if a I buy MM? Is it possible like D&D beyond? Thanks

Thread Information