STAR TREK 2d20

Hang my hat in Texas, currently overseas.

GURPS Take on Heinlein's classic Starship Troopers

Hello world! First off, obligatory "I'm a FNG! this is my first post!" warning. New to FG, former old hand at GURPS. So, I was wondering if any of you out there have ever done a take on Starship Troopers, either as a Player or GM, and if so, if you would be willing to help a fellow out. I've been kicking this idea around for a while now, and have come to a point where I'm ready to start working on it. Looking for help and advice on getting the basics down, developing the world, etc., and anyone with former experience with this universe would be a big help. Thank you much, in advance!

-Tanen

Blog Entries
    Hola Tanen Jaricha of Texas.
    I have seen some of the Savage Worlds GMs running some Starship Troopers but I havent seen any GURPs doing so.
    Would you like me to try and dig up the GM names who ran those?

Oh... and I still cant work out FNG....

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Term for a newbie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FNG

Hang my hat in Texas, currently overseas.
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Hola Tanen Jaricha of Texas.
    I have seen some of the Savage Worlds GMs running some Starship Troopers but I havent seen any GURPs doing so.
    Would you like me to try and dig up the GM names who ran those?

I would like that very much! Thank you!

FNG - F***ing New Guy

I read the novel and played the Avalon Hill 1976 wargame. Both were gripping. (When I read the novel as a kid, much of the social commentary was above my head, but the combat scenes and rough-and-ready infantrymen were the best.) The modern movie was quite good, in many ways, although not really the same thing. (Too bad they didn't jump from orbit in the movie; I bet they could pull off those special effects today.)

The board game (based on the novel decades before the movie) can be seen here: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...rship-troopers
    There is a nice write up to get you into it, and I remember playing the combat scenarios with my older brother--just great stuff, smashing the Skinnies at first, and then switching sides and playing the Bugs and plotting secret tunnels with nuclear mines to trigger under his Terran jumpsuits... I thought better than any game I've played since, that captured the feel of secret movement and combat surprise in a two-player game.

Although the board game is strategy and combat, it could help you get some flavor. For example:

'Since this is a story of future wars and future advances in technology, much is changed in the fields of weaponry and tactics and strategy. One thing remains the same, however; the fighting still rests on the shoulders of the individual infantryman. Although great starships has shuttle men between the distant solar systems and the power of individual weapons has risen to awesome heights, wars still cannot be won unless men venture onto the face of alien planets and fight the enemy on their home ground. As Juan Rico, the protagonist of the novel, relates:

"We are the boys who go to a particular place, at H-Hour, occupy a designated terrain, stand on it, dig the enemy out of their holes, force them then and there to surrender or die. We're the bloody infantry, the doughboy, the duckfoot, the foot soldier who goes where the enemy is and takes him on in person."'

Ha!

I'm also an old GURPs player (still have all my books) and would be interested in sitting in on your session if it comes together.

P.S. Was FNG used in the book? Long enough ago that I don't remember, but seems like it might have been. Either way, welcome!
    Last edited by Hector Trelane; January 10th, 2016 at 06:42.

Thread Information