Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Multiple laptops thru a hub

Haven't tried this out, was wondering if it's possible to take multiple laptops and plug them into a hub or switch and all connect to the host without Internet?

You can do that if they all have Standard or Ultimate licenses. Demo licenses require an Internet connection.

Make sure to use the internal IP address for the GM machine.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    if you do have Demo licenses on the network they will need internt access on attempting to connect to the ultimate and then you can disconnect the internet.

Don't use a hub (too many packet collisions) - use a proper switch
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Don't use a hub (too many packet collisions) - use a proper switch
    I dont think anyone actually means a hub when they use that word... its very hard to buy a hub these days.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I dont think anyone actually means a hub when they use that word... its very hard to buy a hub these days.
    Yeah, but the word "hub" was actually used, as in "hub or switch", and one think I've learned over the years is "don't assume"
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Blog Entries
    Yeah, but the word "hub" was actually used, as in "hub or switch", and one think I've learned over the years is "don't assume"
    Well... in reality with an estimated 6 computers performing FG amounts of data transfer the only time that you would likely experience any noticeable performance hit is when players first connected to a campaign. Organisations used to run many, many computers on collision based networks...

FGDaze! 4 – Saturday January 9th 2016 - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ncement-thread

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Well... in reality with an estimated 6 computers performing FG amounts of data transfer the only time that you would likely experience any noticeable performance hit is when players first connected to a campaign. Organisations used to run many, many computers on collision based networks...
    Only in many, small, router-separated networks within the larger whole - if you check the Ethernet specs (802.3 - and the Token Ring specs (802.5), and the Token Bus specs (802.4)) the recommendation is never run them more than about 75%-80% "saturation" which translates to about 25-30 PCs. While you might - might - get away with running 6-8 FG PCs on a hub the data-transfer hit is more than you'd expect (I know, I've measured it - I have no life) - because its not just FG, its all the other things that'll run at the same time (hello packets, etc).
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Blog Entries
    Only in many, small, router-separated networks within the larger whole - if you check the Ethernet specs (802.3 - and the Token Ring specs (802.5), and the Token Bus specs (802.4)) the recommendation is never run them more than about 75%-80% "saturation" which translates to about 25-30 PCs. While you might - might - get away with running 6-8 FG PCs on a hub the data-transfer hit is more than you'd expect (I know, I've measured it - I have no life) - because its not just FG, its all the other things that'll run at the same time (hello packets, etc).
    Generally with a collision based domain you reach saturation at closer to 35% utilisation which on a 100mb hub is still 15x faster than the upload speed on my internet...
    Token Ring can be utilised at 100% as there is no collisions and Im fairly sure that Token Bus was also not collision based....

Thread Information