5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

5e Character Generator

Moderator. This module has been removed because of copyright violation

This module is a collection of tables that are used to randomly build a character. The only table that should be actively rolled (with one exception) is titled "1 - Character Generation". This will automatically select character race, class, background, two traits, a bond, a flaw, an ideal, and any other random extras from the background. The player is left to decide ability scores, skill selection, gender, equipment, and spells known (if applicable), to name a few. The exception mentioned is that there is a chance the same Trait will be rolled twice. In this case, the player should reroll on the relevant trait table. Currently, the player must also determine physical attributes (height, weight, etc.), but this may be incorporated into the module in the future. Suggestions for other additions are appreciated.

Occasionally, there will be links connected to the results. If the DD PHB Deluxe is owned and open, these links will be active and can be dropped onto the character sheet. However, some things may be missed, so it is ultimately up to the player to make sure that everything is in order on the sheet.

Thank you, and enjoy!

UPDATE 4/11/2018

Hey all! So I finally got around to updating this thing, and boy is it a doozy! Character generation is done entirely through a Story Template named "[First Name] [Last name]". Open the template, hit "Generate" and have fun reading!

Updates:
    • Added character name generation
    • Added gender determination
    • Added ability score rolls
    • Added links to Elemental Evil Companion races
    • Added Xanathar's Guide to Everything material, to include:
      • Class training & feature detail generation
      • Origin generation
      • Family generation (parents & siblings)
      • Upbringing (lifestyle, home, etc.)
      • Age & Life Events
      • Background decisions

• Edit display formatting via Templates
    • Grammatical fixes

I really hope you guys enjoy this thing. It uses a ton of interconnected tables, but my goal was for the user to only interface with one (the Template) and then get a really nice, readable story as a result. I cut a lot of links since it messed up the story display. Essential things, like class, race, and background, are still linked, but other stuff like ideals no longer are. You'll just have to copy and paste into the character sheet.

Let me know your thoughts, and feel free to leave a wish list if you're so inclined. I'll try not to wait two years to update again! Thank you!
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; June 4th, 2018 at 18:05.
    Running on pure Plot Devicium since 1986.
    Like D&D Actual Play podcasts? Check out mine! It's called Shocking Gasp. Enjoy!

That's a fun mod
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Blog Entries
    Well done Hecklerus Prime

Being new to FG, I figure out where to roll the die on the first table but it appears I could use a bit more guidance on how to use this module fully.

Quote Originally Posted by ctcharger View Post
    Being new to FG, I figure out where to roll the die on the first table but it appears I could use a bit more guidance on how to use this module fully.
    That's pretty much all there is to it. Roll on the first table and it will roll up a random character. I'd suggest that you change the 'output' to Story (at the top of the first table, click on 'chat' until it says 'story') and it will give you a clearer result. It doesn't fill in the character sheet for you or roll stats, select skills etc. You'll have to find whatever results it comes up with in the PHB, 5ESRD or basic rules and drag/drop those into a character sheet.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

PS Hecklerus Prime. I Missed this first time around but I've linked it to the resources sticky in the 5e forums.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Got it. Thanks for the help, I will do that.

@Hecklerus this is so good, thanks so much for making this!

First off: I love this mod. I haven't had the chance to use it in my campaign yet, but I certainly will!

Secondly, I would like to ask your permission to use parts of your generator in a mod I am working on to generate random merchant shops. Your work could help me generate some details for the shopkeeper which would really flesh out the shop descriptions for the GM!

Thread Information