5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    The fun, and the power, of the wild magic sorcerer is in those effects! By RAW, they only happen 5 percent of the time when a leveled spell is cast. That isn't much to begin with! Forgetting to roll for that 1 in 20 chance is a big hit to the player.

Blog Entries
    I would have to just try to get the Player to remember to roll. You could create an action for it. Not sure. As the DM you have lots to remember, and since I can't think of a way to get FG to do it, I'd put the responsibility on the player.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I don't know. The wording says the DM 'can' ask the character to make a roll which suggests that it isn't automatic nor even necessary. I can see the OP's point of view in that the only reason to take the wild magic sorcerer is to have the chance to cast some free spells at the risk of wiping out the entire party with a misplaced fireball. So I think the onus is on the DM. That doesn't mean that the player can't suggest that the DM allows a roll, but I think it's the DMs resonsibility.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    The DM should roll a couple 20d20 before game time and make a note of the outcome. Perhaps the 3rd, 11th, 17th and 28th spells cast in the session pull wild magic.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    The DM should roll a couple 20d20 before game time and make a note of the outcome. Perhaps the 3rd, 11th, 17th and 28th spells cast in the session pull wild magic.
    Not a bad idea, JohnD!

As the GM I have a "character sheet" with some effects set up. I could add a spell counter for the Sorcerer and track it that way... ie... keep rolling d20's till I get a triggering event and set up the number of "charges" to equal however many rolls it took me to get to a triggering spell... then when he triggers it, do it over again and modify that count to reflect the next trigger.

[*][*][ ][ ] Verucian's countdown of Doom!
    Last edited by Gix; March 30th, 2018 at 15:46. Reason: add a little example

What in the world do I do with this thing for my Mac. I was just hoping for a quick way to make my Sorc (Divine) work easier, Metamagic included

Quote Originally Posted by mshow1323 View Post
    What in the world do I do with this thing for my Mac. I was just hoping for a quick way to make my Sorc (Divine) work easier, Metamagic included
    Welcome to the forums!

Download the XML to your computer. Load up Fantasy Grounds in a 5E campaign, then from the characters screen import the character - a dialog box will open to give you access to the file system to select the XML you've downloaded.

Info on the character management screen here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ter_Management

Once you've imported the character you will be able to look at the PC in FG and see all of the example effects/actions.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I think I got it, thank you.

I was hoping there was a was to click a metamagic,, like: click Distant spell, click firebolt, then have FG automatically calculate and restrict the distant as necessary. Same with Twinned, click twin then firebolt, and have FG automatic throw atk dice, then damage for both....I guess that's asking a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Download the XML to your computer. Load up Fantasy Grounds in a 5E campaign, then from the characters screen import the character - a dialog box will open to give you access to the file system to select the XML you've downloaded.

Info on the character management screen here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ter_Management

Once you've imported the character you will be able to look at the PC in FG and see all of the example effects/actions.
    Last edited by mshow1323; June 6th, 2018 at 00:23.

Hello Zacchaeus. I have a player that loves the subclass of Wild Magic Sorcerer. He is only level 5 right now and we just barely adopted FG. He is also an eladrin elf which means he also has those funky fey step abilities (this will be relevant in one second... promise).

With his fey step ability, I was able to add a Power Group on the actions tab that has 1 use per rest which allows him to use his fey step abilities and I created a different power for each season and grouped them. This allowed him to track if he had used the ability as well as know the effect it produced depending on his "season" personality. Some had an effect or damage and some only had a description but they all needed to be tracked so he could count whether or not he had used the ability yet or not.

This differs from his Font of Magic feature of being a sorcerer. This ability also needs to track the sorcery points so it has a number of uses per rest as well. Is there a way to change the number of uses in this power group (Font of Magic) from having to be an actual number that you have to manually change versus being equal to the variable [SORCERER] so it can track automatically and update every time he levels up? Also, metamagic is intimately related to his tracking of sorcery points but when you create power groups you cannot combine items that track things like points and other items that are simply descriptions (more like spells). You have that ability up in the weapons section where you can have ranged, thrown and melee where the melee is a description and the others have ammunition counters. Am I missing something about power groups where you can combine items that track/count uses and other abilities that do not?

WMS.png

I also don't know if I am missing something else when it comes to power groups: when you add an action you can choose between damage, heal, effect, and most importantly cast but you can't ever use roll table. This is related to Wild Magic Surge table... I created a new table that rolls the d20 and on the roll of 1, references the Wild Magic Surge table so with one roll it does both rolls - the d20 to determine if it occurs and the d100 if it does in fact occur. If nothing occurs, I wrote the table so that it just spits out into the chat "Regular Spell Effects."

WMS Roll Table.png

Is there any way, I can make the power group have an Add Action option where I can click a button and it rolls a table rather than having my player keep that table open or on his quick start menu on the bottom so that he has to reference that every time he casts a spell? I'm basically trying to figure out how to embed it directly into the actions tab of the character sheet.

If that functionality could be added to the character sheets - the ability to have a 5th option on Add Action to be Roll Table, this would not only solve the problem in regards to the Wild Magic Surge but also for the Tides of Chaos issue as well. Plus, I am sure there are other classes and subclasses that have a similar issue.

WMS Tides of Chaos.png
    Last edited by Shireling; August 29th, 2019 at 08:37.

Hi Shireling welcome to FG.

No there isn't a method by which you can automatically update the number of uses per day or whatever. You have to tell FG these things since it doesn't know why you are setting up a number of uses, just that you are doing so.
    Tracking the number of uses can be done in a number of ways but if you have a bunch of options that the player can use and each one is in the same power group like Sorcery points or the Monk's Ki points then you need to set the limit in the Power Group itself (click the magnifying glass on the power group line). If you have things which have differing numbers of uses then you can have them all in the same power group but use preparation mode to adjust the number of uses individually rather than doing that in the power group.

You can't relate a dice roll to a table except in the specific case of critical hits and fumbles. Also wild magic only happens if the DM says so, not every time so you wouldn't want an automatic roll anyway.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information