DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Effects the Complete Sorcerer's Package

Another short tutorial on setting up effects this time for the Sorcerer Class. The file attached to this post contains a level 20 Sorcerer with all of the effects in the actions tab. In order to get the best out of the character you should have access to the Player's Handbook or Core Class Pack to view the links. The notes below are meant to compliment the character. The Sorcerer doesn't have many abilities that an effects can be created for or that needs an effect so the list is quite small.

A word on Spells: At the time of writing virtually every spell can be dragged and dropped into the actions tab and will create a suitable effect (if one is needed). The only things you will want to check are that the correct ability score is entered into the spell Power Group so that Saving Throw DCs and attack rolls are correctly computed, and that the duration of spells has been correctly updated in the effect.

Font of Magic – no effects can be set up but this is needed to track sorcery points.

Storm Sorcerer (Sword Coast Adventure Guide)
    Heart of the Storm – Note that there isn’t a way to deal half level damage via a damage effect. It is possible to add half level damage as an effect but that would only work against a main target, not peripheral ones. It will be necessary therefore to revise the damage on these effects every second level.

Draconic Bloodline
    Draconic Ancestor – The Cha check should be applied just before any check is needed, the circumstances are too narrow to create a more complex effect.
    Elemental Affinity – You can’t ‘test’ for a particular damage type so all you can do is add the extra damage effect onto the character just before the correct damage type is rolled.

Wild Magic
    Tides of Chaos – the effect isn’t really necessary but since an entry is needed to track usage we may as well create it.
    Wild Magic Surge table – there’s a host of effects that could be created for this and if you wanted to do so you certainly could. However it’s an awful lot of work for something that might never happen.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

hi Zacchaeus. what would be the best way to add this to the sorcerer? I"ve been tinkering with leveling a wild magic sorcerer and just been trying to add the effects to the actions page manually (and in several cases I'm not sure i've done it right).

Have a read of this here first of all.

The way I do it is first to drag the ability into the actions tab; this won't necessarily create the effect but it will create a power if one doesn't exist or it will create a new line in an existing power. It also gives you a link to the source material which is handy for reference purposes. Once you have that you'll need to edit the power using the instructions in the Wiki article. You should be able to copy/paste the effects from that character I posted into the effects dialog of the one you are creating. It's just as easy to type them in however
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

yeah it's mainly the syntax of the effects that I"m not sure I got right. It's not so much an issue with spells since they copy in directly (I caved and got the basic FG license and PHB on the steam sale). The examples on the wiki are a bit limited.

now just a quick 5E question for Tieflings. with Infernal Legacy granting Hellish Rebuke at level 3 (cast at 2nd level) and Darkness at level 5, each cast once per day, am I correct in assuming that these uses of the two spells would not take a spell slot?

Quote Originally Posted by Couvs View Post
    now just a quick 5E question for Tieflings. with Infernal Legacy granting Hellish Rebuke at level 3 (cast at 2nd level) and Darkness at level 5, each cast once per day, am I correct in assuming that these uses of the two spells would not take a spell slot?
    That's right.

Indeed, you are correct. These would be regarded as innate spells which don't use spell slots; your Teifling might not be a spell caster after all. The limit is the number of uses per day rather than slots.

Is there a way to automate rolling to see if there is a wild magic surge when a leveled spell is cast?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhitneyy2k View Post
    Is there a way to automate rolling to see if there is a wild magic surge when a leveled spell is cast?
    No. One reason is that the wild magic surge rolls are only made when the DM decides they are, and not everytime a spell is cast.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I am the DM and generally roll to determine if there is a surge each time the player casts a leveled spell.

"Wild Magic Surge
    Starting when you choose this origin at 1st level, your spellcasting can unleash surges of untamed magic. Once per turn, the DM can have you roll a d20 immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher. If you roll a 1, roll on the Wild Magic Surge table to create a magical effect. If that effect is a spell, it is too wild to be affected by your Metamagic, and if it normally requires concentration, it doesn’t require concentration in this case; the spell lasts for its full duration."

Problem is we often simply forget to roll it! The sheet I was using in Roll20 let me add a d20 roll every time a leveled spell was cast. So if the DM wanted to do it is there a way to add such a roll? Not on the effects table- but just to see if a roll needs to be made on the table.

Ad LE says there isn't any way to force a table roll from an effect or from an attack roll or any kind of roll really. Tables are something which are separate and need to be rolled on as a separate and distinct choice to make the roll.

The only thing I can suggest is to create a dummy effect (Wild Magic Roll or some such) and place it permanently on the player. This will show on the Combat Tracker and possibly serve as a reminder to make the roll.

Having said that it is also as LE says a matter for the DM to decide whether a roll is needed or not. It isn't something which needs (or should) be made every time a spell is cast, so forgetting to make the roll every so often is perfectly acceptable.

Thread Information