5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Effects the Complete Paladin Package

Another of the short tutorials on setting up effects this time for the Paladin Class. The file attached to this post contains a level 20 Paladin with all of the effects in the actions tab. In order to get the best out of the character you should have access to the Player's Handbook or Core Class Pack to view the links. The notes below are meant to compliment the character.

A word on Spells: At the time of writing virtually every spell can be dragged and dropped into the actions tab and will create a suitable effect (if one is needed). The only things you will want to check are that the correct ability score is entered into the spell Power Group so that Saving Throw DCs and attack rolls are correctly computed, and that the duration of spells has been correctly updated in the effect.

Divine Health – disease isn’t a recognised condition so this effect is just a reminder
    Divine Sense – no effect but we need to track usage.
    Divine Smite – drop on Paladin just before damage is rolled. Extra damage lines can be added to cover all possible spell slot levels.
    Improved Divine Smite – can be permanently applied; alternatively add the extra damage to all melee weapons in the weapons section. The effect is easier though.
    Lay on Hands – You can work this in various ways but 5 hp for the healing and set the number of uses equal to the level works well. 5hp also equals one cure disease or neutralize poison so is a nice number to work with. At very low level you can just use 1hp.

Oath of the Crown (Sword Coast Adventure Guide)
    Turn the Tide – Can’t set up an effect to test how many hp the target might have so will have to manually decide if the target has fewer than ½ hp.
    Note: Put all Channel Divinities into one power group to handle usage more easily; set the spell DC and uses in the Power Group dialog
    Divine Allegiance – Can’t set an effect for this. You can CTRL-drag the damage back onto the initial victim to ‘heal’ it and then drag the same damage onto the Paladin from the chat output.
    Unyielding Spirit – Can’t set an effect to test for a particular condition such as paralysed so this will need to be done manually – the effect here is just a reminder

Oath of Devotion
    Sacred Weapon – Note that this effect cannot test to see which weapon is being used and so the effect as it stands will apply the bonuses to any weapon used.
    Turn the Unholy – You can’t test for creature type before forcing a save
    Holy Nimbus – Can’t test for spells cast by specific creature types (nor actually for spells) so the second part will have to be done manually.

Oath of the Ancients
    Aura of Warding – There’s no test that can be made for spells so this effect can’t be placed all the time since it would give resistances against every source of damage. Place it just before characters are about to take damage from spells.
    Undying Sentinel – Can’t automate this but the entry is here so that usage can be tracked
    Elder Champion – Can’t create an effect which can test for the conditions needed, so the only option is to place this effect on NPCs just before the paladin forces the saving throw.

Oath of Vengeance
    Abjure Enemy – The ‘IF’ effect isn’t really necessary, but if you want to use it place it on the enemy just before the saving throw is forced. Otherwise it’s easy enough to handle the disadvantage manually.
    Vow of Enmity – SHIFT-drag this effect onto the target so that only the Paladin gets the attack advantage.

New file uploaded with corrections 12/5/16 - (prev views 238)
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; May 12th, 2016 at 15:52.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

EDIT: Disregard. I downloaded the xml again and there was no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Divine Smite – drop on Paladin just before damage is rolled. Extra damage lines can be added to cover all possible spell slot levels.
    I noticed that the syntax might have changed for damage formulas since this was created. Extra damage wasn't being added as expected. As built into the template, smite damage is:
    • DMG: 2d8+[CHA] radiant; IFT: TYPE(fiend,undead);DMG:1d8+[CHA] radiant

The actual formula that's working for me in 3.1.7 is:
    • DMG: 2d8 [CHA] radiant; IFT: TYPE(fiend,undead);DMG:1d8 [CHA] radiant
    Last edited by TheSlowestZombie; March 12th, 2016 at 23:30.

I believe that you may be seeing things

First; you don't get a CHA bonus to Divine Smite. As written in the character Divine Smite is as follows: DMG: 2d8 radiant; IFT: TYPE(fiend,undead);DMG:1d8 radiant

If you wanted to add a CHA bonus to that then neither of the examples which you show above work. The correct syntax would be: DMG: 2d8, [CHA], radiant;IFT:TYPE(fiend,undead);DMG:1d8,[CHA],radiant.

Note the commas after the 2d8

And a belated welcome to FG and to the community.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Downloaded again and sure enough everything was working as intended. Not sure how that stat got in there before - I don't know enough about paladins to think to add it myself or to recognize that's not rules as written. Must have failed a sanity check recently. Thanks for the welcome!

Edit: Sanity restored. My player was experimenting with multiclassing a warlock using a pact from Unearthed Arcana and that was giving him the CHA bonus.
    Last edited by TheSlowestZombie; March 12th, 2016 at 23:51.

Jolly good. Not too sure how the stat could have crept in there either, but at least it's all sorted now ��
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; May 10th, 2016 at 16:35.

First off thank you for all these great templates! So very helpful.

On Divine Sense, how can I set/edit the number usage ticks?

Click on the word next to 'Mode' down the bottom left hand side of the actions tab until it says 'preparation'. That will expose a number of dialogs down the left hand side where you can enter the number of uses and when the uses return (i.e. short/long rest etc).

Great job Zacchaeus!

DM-Kevin - Current campaign running: D&D 5.0 Tomb of Annihilation -

Thanks - I would have never found that!

Quote Originally Posted by jwrightFANTASYG View Post
    Thanks - I would have never found that!

Yes you would have because you would eventually have got around to reading this

Thread Information