STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Effects The Complete Fighter Package

The next of the 'mini tutorials' this time showing how to create the effects for the Fighter class. The file attached to this post contains a level 20 Fighter with all of the effects in the actions tab. In order to get the best out of the character you should have access to the Player's Handbook or Core Class Pack to view the links. The notes below are meant to compliment the character. In order to keep things reasonably short I have not commented on many of the abilities where either no effect is needed or cannot be created.

A word on Spells: At the time of writing virtually every spell can be dragged and dropped into the actions tab and will create a suitable effect (where one is needed). The only things you will want to check are that the correct ability score is entered into the spell Power Group so that Saving throw DCs and attack rolls are correctly computed, and that the duration of spells has been correctly updated in the effect.

Action Surge
    – no effect needed but it’s here to track the number of uses between rests
    Fighting Style – no effects needed, everything is handled elsewhere
    Indomitable - again no effect but here to track the number of uses
    Second wind – drag drop will set up the effect but make sure you edit the number of uses per rest so that use of the ability can be tracked (see also Rallying Cry below).

Purple Dragon Knight (Sword Coast Adventure Guide)
    Rallying Cry - Drag/drop to set up. If set up as shown in the character only one tracking button is needed for this and second wind. Both could also be in separate groups and tracked individually.

Champion
    Remarkable Athlete – we can’t test to see if a proficiency bonus is already being given to a particular skill so apply this effect only when a roll is just about to be made that doesn’t use the abilities mentioned. The initiative part can be applied permanently.
    Survivor – there isn’t a way to test if the character is at 0 hit points so the effect should be removed immediately when that happens.

Battlemaster
    Combat Superiority – Put all the maneuvers in the same Power Group. Remember to choose which ability you want to use for saving throw DCs in the Power Group and also to edit the number of uses per rest.
    NOTE: most of the maneuvres allow the fighter to roll an extra dice of damage which changes at certain levels. Instead of, as I have done, have an effect under each one just have one to cover them all. That way you only need to change one effect when you gain higher dice values.
    Commander’s Strike – drag the effect onto your ally before they roll for damage
    Disarming Strike – drop the damage onto yourself before damage is rolled. There isn’t a ‘dropped’ condition so the effect is there just as a reminder.
    Distracting Strike – make sure that the advantage effect is placed on the NPC after the fighter has made all of his attacks otherwise they might get advantage when they shouldn’t.
    Evasive Footwork – the AC condition can’t take a dice as a parameter; only numbers. An effect can't therefore be set up for this.
    Feinting Attack – SHIFT-drag the advantage effect onto the NPC to ensure only the fighter gets advantage and not some other ally.
    Goading Attack – in order to fully automate the disadvantage, place the initial effect on the NPC and then SHIFT-drag (using the targeting reticule on the combat tracker) from the NPC onto every other target except the fighter.
    Parry – there isn’t a way to create an effect for this so add in your Dex modifier into the modifiers box, roll a d8 then CTRL-drag the result from chat and drop in your wounds to ‘heal’ that part of the damage. (Unless of course that would exceed the amount of damage done – in which case do it manually)
    Precision Attack – place effect on the fighter just before making the roll. If it’s decided to add the d8 after the roll is made then add in a d8 manually and ignore the effect.
    Sweeping Attack – you’ll need lines for each damage type your fighter can do to cover all possibilities; remember to include the magic type if you wield a magical weapon.
    Relentless – no effect can be created to recover superiority dice.

Eldritch Knight Archetype
    Eldritch Strike – You can’t use DISSAV with effect targeting so there isn’t a way to ensure that any disadvantage is only against the fighter. Therefore place the effect just before a save is necessary or handle it manually.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; December 18th, 2015 at 18:27.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Fighting Style – no effects needed, everything is handled elsewhere
    Would you please help me understand in what way fighting style benefits are handled elsewhere. At the moment, I am trying to figure out how the Duelist feature (+2 to damage for one handed melee weapons) should be handled. I realize I could modify the weapon's damage and put a +2 in the damage bonus. I would probably change the name to make it clear that this is ONLY when the Duelist feature is being used. Is that the best practice approach or is there something obvious I am missing?

Quote Originally Posted by TMO View Post
    Would you please help me understand in what way fighting style benefits are handled elsewhere. At the moment, I am trying to figure out how the Duelist feature (+2 to damage for one handed melee weapons) should be handled. I realize I could modify the weapon's damage and put a +2 in the damage bonus. I would probably change the name to make it clear that this is ONLY when the Duelist feature is being used. Is that the best practice approach or is there something obvious I am missing?
    No, you are missing nothing. You could create an effect DMG:2,melee but then that would add two damage to ANY melee attack so it could include attacks when the fighter is equipped with a second weapon, a two handed weapon or is using his bare hands or anything else which constitutes a melee attack. Having said that if the fighter takes this style it is very likely that he will always want to use it so it might very well be safe enough to create such an effect.

My personal preference would be to add the +2 into the specific weapon(s) that could be used with the ability but there would probably be no huge downside to setting an effect.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

First, thanks for the work on the classes. Its been a great help.

On fighting styles, I've been manually working with Great Weapon Fighting, rerolling manually when a 1 or 2 pops up. Is there any way to automate the rolls?

Also, on versatile weapons, do I just create a new weapon with the two handed dmg bonus or is there some way to automate switching back and forth?

Thanks,

Chris

On the Great Weapon fighting, in the weapon properties add reroll 2, ie the properties for a Greatsword would be: Heavy, two-handed, reroll 2

Be aware that there won't be a new dice animation thrown if the reroll is triggered but you can tell its working if you see something that starts [RESULT MOD D1=6,D2=2]. In this case a reroll was triggered on both dice with a 6 coming up on the reroll of the 1st die but a 2 coming up on the reroll of the 2nd die. Just a FYI, reroll isn't brutal its just one reroll if triggered so you can end up with 1s or 2s though they are less likely.

On versatile weapons, just making a new weapon is the easiest way.

nice, if you add this "reroll 2" then it automatically rerolls 1+2?

Quote Originally Posted by Kempest View Post
    nice, if you add this "reroll 2" then it automatically rerolls 1+2?
    Yes, as Griogre points out place reroll 2 in the weapon properties and FG will automatically roll any 1's or 2's that are rolled when rolling for damage.

thanks for this info, i took another fighting style because i hated how the fighter manually rerolled his 1 or 2 then manually changed the damage

but then i love it =)

thanks for the Package and this help!

Blog Entries
    When adding the "reroll 2", do I put this in the main halberd entry or can I click the magnifying glass on the action in the character sheet and add it in there in the blank properties field? If the main halberd, then I need to make a new item that is a copy of the original halberd but has the reroll 2 added? I cannot really test this as the reroll is not shown that i can tell.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

It needs to go in the properties in the action tab. It's not a property of the weapon but the character.

Thread Information