5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: Release v3.1.5

Quote Originally Posted by brustmlj View Post
    Ok well I found the scrolls. I previously searched on spell instead of scroll.

Thanks I have a new question, or more observation. Staffs are not populating the actions tab on a character sheet properly. I have looked at the xml dropped onto the sheet and they have all the weapons attributes one would expect. I assume this is because they are of the type staff instead of weapon. It seems to me these should populate the actions tab since they are in fact weapons.
    Noted
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Actually, we're talking about this internally now, and staffs/rods/wands are not inherently weapons. My gut reaction is that these items are not usable as weapons, unless it specifically states in their description; as this is how the descriptions are written (i.e. that using this item as a weapon is an ability of this item). These items can also be used as an arcane focus (such as Rod of the Pact Keeper and Wand of the War Mage), which is why they show a bonus field. However, this bonus is not

Here are the items that specifically say they can be used as a weapon:
    Rod of Lordly Might
    Staff of Power
    Staff of Striking
    Staff of the Adder
    Staff of the Magi
    Staff of the Woodlands
    Staff of Thunder and Lightning
    Staff of Withering

We'll have to think about how to enable these as weapons that are added to the Actions tab, without interfering with the way the item forge works.

Thanks,
    JPG

On DMG pg 140 it actually says "Unless a staff's description says otherwise, a staff can be used as a quarterstaff." So for staffs they are almost always weapons. I am not aware of any of the DMG staffs saying they can't be used as a weapon.

Good point, I didn't see that. We'll take that into consideration.

JPG

It's probably not too big of a deal, but on most of the roll tables that roll 2d20 (Such as the Vicious Weapon table or the Weapon +1) have an option for 1 when rolling a 2 is the minimum possible result. It shouldn't pose a problem for the item forge, since they are individually listed in a different menu.

Although I tell my players if they are going to use their spell focus as a weapon, there's the slight possibility on a fumble that 'weapon' will break and will leave the character without a spell focus, which would require the characters to carry a lot of material spell components in exchange.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    On DMG pg 140 it actually says "Unless a staff's description says otherwise, a staff can be used as a quarterstaff." So for staffs they are almost always weapons. I am not aware of any of the DMG staffs saying they can't be used as a weapon.
    Thats correct but instead of adding something like 'this staff cannot be used as a quarterstaff' to those specific staffs that can't be used as weapons, Wizards elected to add 'this staff can be wielded as a magic quarterstaff' to those that can? This somewhat contradicts the general statements about staffs. Its for this reason I originally merged the magic staffs in which their descriptions explicitly state they can be used as quarterstaffs with quarterstaffs, and the remaining with a simple staff. However as the type of the magic item is staff the ruleset doesn't recognise it as a weapon (even for those that are), something JPG and I will fix for the next update.

So at the moment the description for the following staffs state they can be used as quarterstaffs.

Staff of Charming
    Staff of Power
    Staff of Striking
    Staff of the Magi
    Staff of the Woodlands
    Staff of Withering

As such, I interpret the remaining staffs are staffs and not weapons; Am I wrong to?
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by ianricks58 View Post
    It's probably not too big of a deal, but on most of the roll tables that roll 2d20 (Such as the Vicious Weapon table or the Weapon +1) have an option for 1 when rolling a 2 is the minimum possible result. It shouldn't pose a problem for the item forge, since they are individually listed in a different menu.
    Good point, thanks for reporting
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    So at the moment the description for the following staffs state they can be used as quarterstaffs.

Staff of Charming
    Staff of Power
    Staff of Striking
    Staff of the Magi
    Staff of the Woodlands
    Staff of Withering

As such, I interpret the remaining staffs are staffs and not weapons; Am I wrong to?
    I think so. I think the items that are called out all have a bonus +2 or better to hit and damage, except the Staff of Charming. For a magic staff without something specific I would treat it as a magic quarterstaff weapon +0.

The specific text for Staff of Charming puzzles me, though it's the first magic staff on the list so it might just be something they originally had in for every staff and took out when they added the general case for staffs and just missed taking out?
    Last edited by Griogre; December 10th, 2015 at 00:02.

Having an issue with the auto update to v3.1.5
    I get this error:

Fantasy Grounds Updater

HandleFile
    Unable to save file (FantasyGrounds.exe)

Thread Information