5E Character Create Playlist

New Game Sword Coast Legends Offers D&D Play Around a 3D Table Top

So for those who don't know, Wizards of the Coast has partnered with game developer n-Space to create a new D&D game called Sword Coast Legends.

The game offers a DM Mode where you and 4 friends can play in live action or pause-and-play style campaigns designed by your DM. With hundreds of monsters, dozens of maps and hundreds of placeable objects, your DM can create quests, NPCs and all sorts of things that bring D&D to life with beautifully crafted maps, objects and token models.

Check it out for yourself here, https://swordcoast.com/.

You can even share your modules and download other DM made creations for use with your own campaign and weekly gaming group.

Woohoo!

Fun game! I would not call it a 3D table top engine by any stretch of the imagination, though. It's just another D&D video game, somewhat Diablo-ish in gameplay, with more storyline. They will need to keep pumping DLC for it, or it will end up being a flash-in-the-pan. It's certainly no GTA5 (which has its own problems, but replayability isn't one of them.)

Blog Entries
    This offering pales in comparison to Neverwinter Nights and NWN 2 in everything but graphics. Good for the ADHD crowd and the masses.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    This offering pales in comparison to Neverwinter Nights and NWN 2 in everything but graphics. Good for the ADHD crowd and the masses.
    Agreed, 100%. This is what stopped me from having a look at this; and also the fact that it wasn't turn based.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I've been pimping the hell outta FG on the SCL forums, so I was just trying to be fair.

There is a few SCL users who are modding the core game to make it feel more like 5th Edition. But yeah, the out-of-the-box game is a lot lacking.

It's a temp fix while we're all waiting for our next FG session.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jajen2003 View Post
    I've been pimping the hell outta FG on the SCL forums, so I was just trying to be fair.

There is a few SCL users who are modding the core game to make it feel more like 5th Edition. But yeah, the out-of-the-box game is a lot lacking.

It's a temp fix while we're all waiting for our next FG session.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    Its always good to see more D&D being played and talked about - in whatever format it is - even if its just Adventure Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Agreed, 100%. This is what stopped me from having a look at this; and also the fact that it wasn't turn based.
    In pause options, you can check "at the start of a turn". I like it.

Now it goes without saying that it covers a different niche than Fantasy Grounds or tabletop roleplaying. Unless you have tons of free time (and cash)!
    Last edited by demonsbane; November 26th, 2015 at 13:25.
    "We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
    M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
    J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring

"It emerges that physics is basic but inessential; that is the crucial fact."
    Wolfgang Smith

I was really disappointed by that game. It's OK for what it is, I guess. It's not D&D though, except for branding. Sure you see D&D names of spells hovering around but that's really the limit of the connection to D&D. Doesn't play like D&D at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I agree, Neverwinter Night has still not been surpassed, and Sword Coast Legends PR seems to ignore the existance of NWN - especially the DM mode, which SCL uses as its big "original never done before" feature. At the moment it is a big let down.

Blog Entries
    Man I still have NWN on my computer and a huge campaign set in Greyhawk just sitting there... was over 1300 areas IIRC. Good memories.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information