Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

what about GURPS?

I just downloaded the demo and I have to say this program rocks! I wanted to ask what do you think about a GURPS ruleset customization. Do you think it would be very difficult to create a ruleset for this game? Certainly nothing comparable with your huge d20 work. Just a usable little set to handle HP, modifiers, etc.
    I'm seriously thinking about buying your program, but I'd like to use it with GURPS possibly without spend all my time creating a ruleset.
    What are your thoughts about it?
    Thank you very much!

The main thing you need to have a working ruleset is the character sheet, and NPC sheets.

It's not to hard to create, but you might have some trouble, if you aren't familiar with XML and don't have access to a decent graphics program to make the character sheet.

From what I recall of GURPS there is no special dice mechanics that would make it tricky to use.

I considered doing a GURPS Ruleset once I get done with the AD&D 1E one I'm working on now - but I doubt I will. I know that SJG would be very sticky regarding distribution of a ruleset based on the GURPS rules (even if you did 3rd Edition and not 4th).

If you plan on doing a ruleset for yourself (non-distribution) - you will still need to spend time deciphering the XML and figuring out what you want to go where.

I personally use Dreamweaver and Paintshop Pro to do my stuff.

Keep in mind though that you will need the FULL Version of FG in order to test/use any ruleset outside the d20 one that is built in.

Actually I don't think Steve Jackson could do anything to stop you so long as all you did was a character sheet, and npc sheets. You don't need to provide the rules as part of the ruleset, and the character sheet would be your own design. I think the only way you could get stopped is on a trademark violation if you used the term GURPS.

I've been putting together a ruleset for Mutants and Masterminds. Its based off of d20, but there are significant differences. I think Ive had to go in and touch every line of code for the character sheets. I think I'm up to about 20 hours that I've put into my conversion.

It would be possible to convert to GURPS, but it does take time and effort. But so does doing anything worthwhile. The devs and the people on the boards here are very helpful, and you'd be creating something that many other people would use and enjoy. I'd encourage you to give it a shot.

that's a bit sad, but somewhat prefigured-out. For what concern with gurps rules, I know that licence policies are quite stringent. As well as are non-OGL pieces from WOTC, for example. Anyway. Thanks for your very quick and very good answers!

a little question: also players need the GM version to use a ruleset I have created?

No, just a lite verson should be fine for them.

rv

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lips
    I've been putting together a ruleset for Mutants and Masterminds.
    Mr Lips, if you would not mind I would love to get a copy of the rulesets you are working on? I am running D&D but have been considering M&M too.

Cheers,
    BTS

I'm planning on making my mutants and masterminds conversion available to the community. It will be posted in the Armory. Hope to be done in the next few weeks.

Thread Information