FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Seminars at the next FG-Con?

To ye unseen powers that organize FG Con (okay we have a good idea of several of you), here's an idea for the suggestion box (inspired by perusal of a con for Google Hangouts and a VTT-that-must-not-be-named):

Ever consider running seminars of various types at the FG-Con? These have become an increasing feature of face-to-face cons, I gather, and span many topics: "how to" tips; coming attraction announcements from game companies; and Q&A with designers, artists, and other luminaries. The FG community could easily supply speakers for these and perhaps could attract designers to speak from Smiteworks and from game companies who've licensed their IP for official FG releases.

Just a thought. Personally, I'd still prioritize running and playing games, but would enjoy the option of these seminars. But a broader array of offerings might attract a broader audience, and the "how to"-type seminars may encourage new and potential FG users to plunge fully into the pool.

Running: The One Ring and GUMSHOE--Esoterrorists (on hold); intermittently Fiasco and DramaSystem/Hillfolk
    Want to play: Pendragon, City of Mist, Dresden Files RPG, Orpheus, Changeling, Apocalpse World and more PbtA, Bluebeards Bride, Shadows of Esteren; anything by Bully Pulpit Games

Blog Entries
    Well met Hector Trelane,

The suggestion has much merit. It is the type of thing that happens at off-line cons too. One thing that helps their success at off-line cons is that attendees are there for the whole day (or longer) whilst online people often have other things booked (or demand their time) before and after their games. We are supportive of new suggestions and ideas and will assist with people wanting to do something like this - but we have limited capacity to take on the role ourselves.

Feel free to email me

Blog Entries
    I also like this idea, though I don't know how much attendance it would get, but such sessions should be recorded and posted for people to play at their convenience. Note that any of these would require a streaming or web conferencing application/service.

One of the things that had been mentioned before was to hold a "how to run a game at the con" seminar a few weeks before. I'm willing to help with this, so as things get closer, something to keep in mind.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Damian and I ran some for FG Con V and I think Hector ran one for FG Con VIII. They are up on the FG Con website now.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mask_of_winter View Post
    Damian and I ran some for FG Con V and I think Hector ran one for FG Con VIII. They are up on the FG Con website now.
    Ah ha! Yes you did. Never saw them before. Here they are: https://www.fg-con.com/latest-news/f...ut-recordings/

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Well met Hector Trelane,
    Feel free to email me
    Just PMed you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mask_of_winter View Post
    As usual, Mask is several steps ahead of all of us!

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I also like this idea, though I don't know how much attendance it would get, but such sessions should be recorded and posted for people to play at their convenience. Note that any of these would require a streaming or web conferencing application/service.

One of the things that had been mentioned before was to hold a "how to run a game at the con" seminar a few weeks before. I'm willing to help with this, so as things get closer, something to keep in mind.
    Google Hangouts could work for a streaming service, or just using FG itself. Repeat sessions of previous content are helpful, I suspect, since so many new players are coming on so frequently -- and some personalities are more likely to join a seminar with others than read a reference document, plus appreciate getting questions answered live.

Would people be interested? You never know until you try; a small-scale experiment may be worthwhile. Probably different topics attract different audiences and different numbers. "How to" tips is one category; "industry news" is another; "rub elbows with a designer or artist" is a third and might have some celebrity cache.

From my note to damned: I think this kind of thing can really build the hobby. Learning by inference from other cons--the industry news/tips/rub-elbows-with-luminaries seems to be of growing importance at the bigger cons. It's also where best practices spread virally and could be a lot of fun for your community members. Finally, it's podcasts that piqued my interest in certain games, and the podcasts are hosted by designers sharing their substantive discussion that functions also as a high-level marketing campaign that gives your fans a steady supply of meat to sink their teeth into.

Running: The One Ring and GUMSHOE--Esoterrorists (on hold); intermittently Fiasco and DramaSystem/Hillfolk
    Want to play: Pendragon, City of Mist, Dresden Files RPG, Orpheus, Changeling, Apocalpse World and more PbtA, Bluebeards Bride, Shadows of Esteren; anything by Bully Pulpit Games

Blog Entries
    jh79 used to run a DM'ing seminar on the weekends. I think it was always booked full when he used to run it. He may have content or a script that could be used if someone wanted to do the same. I could do something on module creation if people were interested.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I could do something on module creation if people were interested.
    My own two bits: this kind of thing is *always* helpful and never goes out of style.

I also want to make clear: these suggestions re: FG Con are indeed just suggestions. The Cons are going great as-is.

Blog Entries
    Or just Twitch livestream them that way you can people in chat who can ask questions, and the chat gets archived along with the video. Plus exporting the video (no chat) to YouTube easy.

Additionally I wonder if FG would consider attaching themselves to offline cons.

I just attended Hal-Con in Halifax NS and thought that a seminar on online tabletop gaming would be an amazing asset. I spoke to many people at the gaming room that have admitted that it is increasingly difficult to arrange face to face gaming around the table because of work, family concerns and just plain getting to game with new groups for a change of pace.

I thought that running through a few preset up laptops would be an excellent way to introduce both online gaming and 5e D&D to potential new players would be an amazing way to go. Maybe they could team up with WOTC to do it?
    Unlimited License and the Majority of D&D 5e content

D&D 5e - Eberron - Lies in Gold
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=3357

Thread Information