DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Been Looking for months for a game

As the title says, been looking for a group to play some 5e for months now and still no responses. Calendar always has the same games posted with little GM activity. I don't know if DM/GM's are just playing with the same people all the time or what. I would really appreciate if DMs got new players into there groups instead of playing with the same group across different games. I also understand some newer folks are sometimes unreliable, but not all of us are like that. I've made every session in my offline group.

My hungry for a game is real, and not being able to find a game is really turning me off on playing DnD

Maybe I just need to DM some stuff, make some friends, then I can get into a game and play.

Anyone else having this same issue or is it just me?

Blog Entries
    Have you applied directly to games posted in the LFG forums by DMs?
    I suggest you come try out a game or two at FG Con 7 next month (link in my signature). Best place to meet DMs and get some groups going.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Well if you're looking for a long boring read of stuff I wish someone had told me when I was new to FG :P

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...new-FG-players

You joined back in July it looks like so you're a veteran of 3 months but... well, here's my experience with FG over the years (I mention a lot of this in the thread above but will do a brief recap here)

- You gotta' try, try and try again ... it is a HUGE pain in the butt finding a reliable GM sometimes.. not that I blame them! When you have players who show up for a few game sessions then bail w/o bothering to inform the GM and the GM gets burned again and again, I don't blame GM's for giving up in disgust... it WILL happen eventually however if you PM any GM's here the moment a new game shows up then just try and try again until you find a campaign that actually lasts longer than a month or two .. it's been my experience if you put some thought into your character from the role playing aspect.. a brief (maybe 2 paragraph or so) backstory that shows you're really interested in "breathing life" into the PC... I find that's catnip to most GM's, they appreciate players who will try to bring their PC to life during game sessions in a way that makes the game fun for players and GM alike

- are you sure it has to be 5th edition D&D? I will admit there is a LOT of love for 5th edition I'm seeing on here... but what if someone was running a 4th or even 3rd edition game? Or Pathfinder? Heck, straying away from D&D (or pathfinder which you have to admit is like " D&D plus " :P) what about Savage Worlds or other game systems? You've already noticed how hard it is to find a GM ... it's been my experience that if you're willing to do other game systems that helps a LOT as far as finding a good group of players/GM to hook up with.. it's also been my experience if you're respectful to the GM for all the hard work s/he is putting in and make that obvious to the GM by doing your best to be pleasant and polite to the other players and GM (both "in character" and "out of character") .. and you combine that with putting some thought and effort into the RP aspect of it.. GM's are more than happy to overlook whether or not you're new to the rules of the game in question... I learned Shadowrun on the fly, did fine and still had a lot of fun with that campaign ... also learned D&D 3.5 on the fly way back when and also had a blast with that, GM didn't have a problem with me being a newbie either

And yes, YES by all means, DM some stuff! The more GM's on here the better ! ... I totally agree, GM'ing stuff will introduce you to various FG players you're running the game for, and if you let them know you're also looking to game as a player and they like your GM style then they'll recommend you to GM's running a game ... Be patient though when DM'ing as far as the flakes you will almost invariably run into that will abandon your game after a few game sessions (rolls eyes).. try, try and try again and eventually you'll come up with a group of reliable players who can be counted on to show up for game sessions ... if you're willing to run pre-published/pre-written modules that helps a lot far as making things easy for you and you'd be surprised how much tolerance there is for that sort of thing on here .. sure you have the players who turn up their nose at such things and sneer " No way, open sandbox campaign or nothing! " .. but there's a lot of players and GM's on here too who are married, have kids, work and so forth, and who understand just how hard it is to write up all that campaign material from scratch when you have so much real life stuff keeping you busy.

So that's been my experience anyways over the several years I've been FG'ing (mostly as a player and twice as a GM), not sure if that helps you at all ?

West Virginia (not the redneckish part), USA
    I'm thinking about a Wednesday night EDT game, I'd rather play but I can DM if really needed, I DM LMoP on Tuesdays, so I'd like to not DM in a game.If you find something let me know, if not I might think about doing a homebrew, I have a bit of one started, but enough to run yet. Look into FG-Con, Zacchareus ran a great game last time. If you can jump into his game, do it
    No matter where you go, there you are !!
    Ultimate License

Blog Entries
    Hi Daemini - sometines it goes like that. I absolutely recommend that you log onto these forums daily and use the New Posts link top left and you apply for games directly. Most games fill up quick. Most games dont need to recruit all that often. No GM is going to kick out a good regular player to make room for someone new. Try playing some one shots. I know you are after a campaign but you will meet people and you will meet GMs and you might find some other systems that you enjoy which will increase your chances of getting games.

And of course - the other way to find a group is to become the GM and build your own. Over time you can swap that role around. Thats what I did... there were not too many Aussies playing when I started so I started GMing...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazoodust View Post
    I'm thinking about a Wednesday night EDT game, I'd rather play but I can DM if really needed, I DM LMoP on Tuesdays, so I'd like to not DM in a game.If you find something let me know, if not I might think about doing a homebrew, I have a bit of one started, but enough to run yet. Look into FG-Con, Zacchareus ran a great game last time. If you can jump into his game, do it
    Zacchaeus is running 2 sessions at FG Con. There are tonnes of different and interesting games to choose from.

Thanks for everyones advice, I've decided to just DM a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemini View Post
    excellent always do with some more DMs!
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Blog Entries
    Good idea - hosting a few games is another strategy that can lead to opportunities as a player down the road.

You can also post in a thread or PM a GM that isn't necessarily looking for another player if it looks good to you. Sometimes, GMs will take another player even if they aren't actively recruiting.

If this helps any just to get your feet wet

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...=WOTC5EDDEX301

looks like you can purchase the module for just one dollar from the FG store if the dollar is a donation to the Children in Need fund they mention... anyone know if everything would be "pre-set" in the module as far as flavor text already preloaded and ready to display, maps included, stats for the monsters already entered into FG and so forth?

Otherwise for $35 there's this one which takes PC's from levels 1 to 15

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...?id=WOTC5EOOTA

In my case I found when I purchased pdf's of modules (that is, modules not from the FG store) the "control c" and "control v" functions were my best friends.. I would just copy the descriptive text from the module pdf and use "control v" to paste it into FG ... also it was usually possible to capture an image of the maps from the module and import it into FG.. having to type the creature and NPC stats into FG and create custom tokens for 'em took a certain amount of work but certainly do-able..

This is all assuming you're okay with pre-published/pre-written modules not sure if you want to go the open sandbox route? There's GM's and players with strong "sandbox or nothing!" feelings while other players are more like " meh, if I'm with a good bunch of players and a good GM I don't really care if the module is pre-written " (or players who simply realize the GM is too busy with kids, spouse, other real life stuff to write his/her own modules from scratch and are just grateful to have someone GM'ing in the first place ! :P )

Also not sure if you're a fan of having a forum for your campaign? Being huge on the role playing/getting into character side of things for me I found a forum was lots of fun .. even if the player and GM are not so much that way however it can still be useful for other reasons... posting xp and treasure and magic items and deciding who gets what (my previous experience on FG has been players who are so noble that no one ends up accepting the magic item the GM put out there for the players. " You take it ! " " No man, that would be greedy of me, you take it ! " " No man I couldn't do that to you, you take it ! " :P ... if you have a forum to hash it out among the players I found that helps ) ... players can also post whether or not an emergency came up so the GM knows at least and the GM isn't left there hanging, which does happen from time to time ( " Last minute work stuff my boss won't let me leave argghhh ! Sorry guys! " ) ... and players who take the time to do so can post a description/pic of their PC so other players have an "easy reference" which is always fun .. for players like myself who really enjoy the RP side of things you can also post "in character" conversations between interested players that take place during "downtime" in the modules, when the PC's are sitting around the campfire or what not (strictly "soap opera" stuff that has no real practical in-game impact but makes for fun RP'ing ) ... my Shadowrun GM back in the day came across this website which I thought was a lot of fun , free to use too ...

www.epicwords.com
    Last edited by Andrepartthree; September 27th, 2015 at 17:26.

Thread Information