5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: Quick NPCs

Quick NPCs

Hi all,

I'm new to Fantasy Grounds and learning how to use it. Its a great program, but could someone please tell me if there is a quick way to draw up simple NPCs for combat purposes, for example if I need a 10th level warrior or a 3rd level cleric? I was hoping to be able to go to the Monster Manual and find human, or elf, or dwarf, and add a class or level, similar to DM Genie a long time ago, but no luck.

In addition, I have a number of NPCs who show up again and again in my campaign, and wish to have them constantly available. I assume I do that under the NPC icon, but again, is there away to do a quick NPC there, or do I have to draw them up somewhere else and manually input the details?

Silversteel

Blog Entries
    Welcome silversteel
    Which ruleset are you using?
    Generally you will need to make these yourself.
    You can export them to a mod for later re-use in another campaign.
    You can drag something that is close to it into your NPCs window and edit there. You can then drag that NPC to a blank spot in the window and you will get another copy you can update.
    There may be some better ways depending on what ruleset you are using but this is how i do it...

If you're running PF/3.5 there are a number of modules available with mostly ready-to-go NPCs in them. The NPC codex and the NPCs from the GM Guide are both available in module form. Just go to the 3.5/PF forums, and look for the modules stickied post. These are free.

For 5E, you can pay to have access to the Monster Manual.

Not sure what is out there for other rulesets.

Thank you both. I'm using 5E, and have the Monster Manual, but it doesn't seem to cater for PC races to my disappointment. The previous editions did include PC races. Maybe the best way to draw up a quick NPC for combat purposes or otherwise is just drag x levels of the relevant class into the PC sheet and do it that way?

Blog Entries
    That would build them as PCs - which is fine - log in a second instance as a player and select these NPC characters so they are not available to the players to peek at.

Quote Originally Posted by Silversteel View Post
    I'm using 5E, and have the Monster Manual, but it doesn't seem to cater for PC races to my disappointment. The previous editions did include PC races.
    The base 5E Monster Manual book doesn't have any guidelines for customizing/creating monsters - other than a very short descriptive section on customizing NPCs in appendix B. 5E creature statblocks don't really show any class levels - take the 4 Drow from the MM as an example - the "Drow Elite Warrior" has no mention about what class it is, the two spell casters only mention "The drow is a 10th level spellcaster..." (required for game mechanics purposes).

Chapter 9 of the DMG has a section on creating monsters, but this really doesn't cover classes, as monsters/NPCs are hit dice based not class level based. There's a brief section on page 283: "Monsters with Classes" that mentions adding class levels - which gives the class abilities, but is still hit dice based.

Might the ability to add class levels to NPCs/Monsters within the FG 5E ruleset be available when the DMG is released? To be perfectly honest, I'd be surprised as it's a very small section of the DMG and would require a lot of coding to do it. But, don't take my word of it, I could be wrong...

Summary: Do what damned mentions above - create them as PCs, but hide them from the players.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

If you do look at the creatures in Appendix B: Nonplayer Characters of the MM you will see *all* of them are Medium Humanoid (any race). You can just use them and add race specific abilities as is mentioned on the first page of Appendix B. In many cases I have found the entries a good base to build on if you want something a little higher or lower in power. Just drag the base NPC into the NPC list and edit it - this is especially useful for spell casters if you are going to just change a spell or two.

West Virginia (not the redneckish part), USA
    Just a thought, but could there be a 'database' of NPC's that could be shared, or would this infringe on any licenses ? If so, could that be gotten around by requiring the PHB or class module to use them? I'd thing that a list of NPC readily available by class/race/occupation would be helpful to many a DM if it can be done without legal issues getting involved
    No matter where you go, there you are !!
    Ultimate License

Quote Originally Posted by Silversteel View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to Fantasy Grounds and learning how to use it. Its a great program, but could someone please tell me if there is a quick way to draw up simple NPCs for combat purposes, for example if I need a 10th level warrior or a 3rd level cleric? I was hoping to be able to go to the Monster Manual and find human, or elf, or dwarf, and add a class or level, similar to DM Genie a long time ago, but no luck.

In addition, I have a number of NPCs who show up again and again in my campaign, and wish to have them constantly available. I assume I do that under the NPC icon, but again, is there away to do a quick NPC there, or do I have to draw them up somewhere else and manually input the details?

Silversteel
    Here are some pre-gen Characters. They go up to level 10, the only thing is you have to enter the information yourself. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/fea...aracter_sheets Hope these help.

Thread Information