FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last

Thread: ADD 2E ruleset

Blog Entries
    I forgot to include that character saves are modified by level as well. Still, all the best in getting a 2e ruleset done.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

This ruleset would be great news. Cheers
    "We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
    M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
    J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring

"It emerges that physics is basic but inessential; that is the crucial fact."
    Wolfgang Smith

So what would be considered the best ruleset base to develop 2E from?

Honestly, I could make ADD2 work, but the lack of multiple attack forms on the CT is a bit unfortunate. It certainly has that classic AD&D look to it, which gives that warm, fuzzy feel of going back in time. Trying to find the code where I could fix that particular problem has proved challenging, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    So what would be considered the best ruleset base to develop 2E from?
    If the ADD2 ruleset is 60-70% there I'd say use that. Of course, this means that the ruleset will be static - i.e. it won't benefit from updates to CoreRPG in future. However, if there are just a few things missing in the ADD2 ruleset it probably better getting that going rather than trying to start from scratch with a ruleset that isn't similar enough for 2E.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Well, in looking through the code, I did figure out at least how to get multiple attack options. It uses OR and AND to separate weapon attacks, so that's a start.

I must say, the organization of the latter rulesets is pretty nice. It's taken a bit to sort through the scripts to find which contain the functions called by others. Obviously, a lot of hard work went into preparing these rulesets - that's easy to see when perusing the code. It probably could use an overhaul, but I can see why there's some hesitancy involved. It does look like some time and effort would have to be taken,

As someone said earlier, that hard part is deciding to dedicate time to the coding side when that could be spent playing or, as crazy as it sounds, enjoying the company of family, friends, etc. :P

Still, there is a bit of an itch to dive in some and take a crack at it. The main worry is seeing it through to the end. I am not sure there's enough of a AD&D community out here to make it worth while or to pick it up or aid in the process should the initiator waver. I know, personally, how hard it is to stay on track with long projects where there are plenty of distractions out there in life to pull you away, especially when there's a low motivation index for it.

Blog Entries
    ShadeRaven your last paragraph is part of the reasons I keep suggesting that people look at C&C - spend your time gaming not coding, with the possibility of never finishing, and a really small target market so to speak.

Don't want to rub anyone the wrong way; AD&D and 2e content converts 90% or better without much alteration.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

Your input is honest and straight forward, John. I know I take no offense to it. That said, you know how us D&D geeks are - we tend to be very enthusiastic about our current endeavors. It's hard to be close but not quite there when it comes to our RP. It's why we love house rules and option books so dearly.

10% might not seem like much... and it isn't... but I know I tend to be detailed oriented and sometimes that 10% is the itch between the shoulder blades that drives one to distraction.

Blog Entries
    As has been said on other threads coding a ruleset - even one built on CoreRPG is a significant venture (I know you know this ShadeRaven but some other readers might not) and will usually take upwards of 100hours of solid effort and that is a big commitment. It can be rewarding personally - and that is the only reason I would take on a project like that - if I personally wanted it enough.

Blog Entries
    I hear that.

- John Diefenbaker

I'm trying to modify the 2E ruleset based on the Psicodelix work.
    Unfortunately many issues as come to light.
    The GM rolls are always visible to player.
    There's very few option.
    I tried party sheet and calendar, but maybe I'm not able to understand how they works.
    The table doesn't work. I can populate it, but when I roll the dice, nothing appear on the chat. (see attached file)

Thread Information