5E Character Create Playlist

Player can't connect now

Friend is suddenly having trouble connecting to me and getting the following error on the first attempt.

Script Error: [string "scripts/LauncherProperties.lua"]:171: bad argument #1 to 'startClient' (string expected, got boolean)

On the second attempt, it simply tells him he cant connect and to try again.

I am running under Ultimate License and he is using free.
    -We are both using the TEST selection for updates.
    -Both are at the same version.
    -Connection Test is successful on my end
    -Using pass phrase for connection

We've tried to uninstall/reinstall but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do that for this program.
    -There is no uninstaller in the program files folder
    -There is no entry under the control panel uninstall programs area
    -Putting -u at the end of the updater entry in the exe properties does not work

Thanks in advance.

As a quick check, try using live not test.

Also make sure there are no additional arguments added to the FantasyGrounds.exe startup shortcut.

FYI - I have an uninstaller in my Control Panel -> Programs and Features list. Perhaps the installation isn't completing fully?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on. All my other players tested their connection and it was fine. I changed to LIVE vs Test and it didn't change anything. We uninstalled/reinstalled and it didn't work. I had him use one of my Lite keys (even though I have the ultimate edition) and it didn't work. No additional arguments in the exe....

Quote Originally Posted by KhybersGhost View Post
    All my other players tested their connection and it was fine.
    Players don't need to run the connection test. Only the GM needs to do this.

How is the player trying to connect to you? Using an alias or your external IP address?

After the play has tried to connect to you, ask them to get the console.log file from their <FG App Data> directory. They can get to this directory by clicking the folder icon in the top right hand corner of the first Fantasy Grounds screen after starting FG. Post the contents of this logfile here so we can see if there are any issues raised.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

As Trenloe mentioned, can you get the IP address or alias and user name that the player was using to connect to your game?

I've seen this pop up very rarely, but haven't been able to recreate in my test environment. I just need to get an example that happens every time.

If it happens again, try having the player restart Fantasy Grounds, and enter the user name and server IP/alias again (i.e. don't use history list).

Thanks,
    JPG

Players don't need to run the connection test. Only the GM needs to do this.
    To clarify, I only meant I had my players test being able to connect to me to make sure it was only this player with an issue.

I've had him attempt connection via both IP and alias, with the alias changed and attempted again. The player is the only non-US player, connecting from Australia.

I'll look into the other suggestions once I'm home today. Thanks!

I wonder if his ISP is hoping through Asia or Japan and it started getting blocked.

Blog Entries
    I'm wondering if they have a firewall or antivirus program blocking the program's attempt to connect. It might be worth asking them to add Fantasy Grounds as exceptions to each of those.

Noticed this player is from Australia.
    Recently in order to combat piracy The government has introduced legislation that forces ISPs here to log, and keep IPs So that they may be requested by the copyright holders. Some people (not liking the idea that ISPs (btw the ISPs fought it) and/or the government are tracking thier IPs) have started using VPNs.
    Has this player starting using a VPN?
    Last edited by Willot; September 28th, 2015 at 23:00.
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Thread Information