FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Hey again HalC - have you seen or played Dungeon World or Apocalypse World? Quite light on in terms of rules but the the framework is quite encompassing and really allows - more than that - it encourages players to think in role playing terms rather than what the rules might say you can or cant do. Hopefully by the end of the year we might have a good DungeonWorld ruleset here on FG too.
    Without GMs there is no hobby, and GMs definitely vary greatly in style (and ability) but GMs that just piss their players off like that do so much damage.
    In his defense, most GM's require seasoning. No person who starts off as a GM is gifted enough to start perfect from the get-go. I cringe to think of the mistakes I made as GM since 1980 onwards. But, each year's worth of gaming gave me that much more capacity to work almost instinctively towards working with my players to get a story going. Case in point? In one campaign, I started off with a set of NPC's whom I knew I'd need. I tossed in a one off NPC named Lady Clariese. She was the daughter of a knight, and was quite the willful woman, whose appreciation for the classic definition of a "Lady" was a mite lacking. Rather than ride side saddle, she'd ride like a man. Rather than be modest, she'd be forthright and adventuresome. Ever the graceful dancer, she even publically declared in front of an Earl that she could make even the most lacking of a Knight look good on the dance floor. Not amused, the Earl cut her down to size in front of the entire feast/party/dance and indicated to the young woman that if her manners most suited stable boys, perhaps she should dance with them. Her journey to recovering her sense of propriety resulted in her learning all over what it is to be a woman whose concerns were not self centered, but centered on those she cared about. Long story short - later in that campaign, my wife was heard to remark to another player (and this only three sessions after I had decided how this ad-hoc NPC woman felt about the player character in question) "You idiot, can't you see she's in love with you!". Here I thought I was being subtle Darn it! It was also the campaign where my wife's character was approached by a young artist who bashfully asked "My Lady, if it pleases you, might I have permission to paint your likeness? A Noble born man has already paid to have it done if thou wouldest consent." Little did I know, that "seed" of an encounter would later result in my wife some 10 sessions later, require me to "fade to black". When I asked her why she did that, she said "He had me with the request for the portrait."

It is the little touches that breathe life into the characters. And if you have a good enough crew, they breathe the real life into the stories. It isn't about the body count. It isn't about the magics (although that can be fun in a Fantasy campaign!). It is about how the players feel about their characters and the NPC's. Both the good players and the Good GM's can become synergist to the extent that the story told is better than any one person could have told on their own.

When you get right down to it, that GM didn't destroy my passion for Role Playing, just for D&D. Ironically enough? The ONLY D&D campaign I tried to run for my players with my wife participating, stopped being fun for my wife when her third level fighter could level any 0 or 1st level Fighter. She asked "What's the point?" A skill 12 fighter in GURPS should usually lose to a skill 22 fighter in GURPS - but that doesn't always happen either! Oh the stories I could tell!

One last thing and then I'll bring this to a close...

If you ever want to get the blood in my wife's eye if she's playing a female warrior/knight...

"Lass, it no be meet that you be playing at being a man. Get down from the saddle lest I paddle your behind with the flat of my blade." THAT is sure to get her in a fighting mood

Ah well. Take care Gentlemen. I'm sure we'll meet in the future (at least on the forums or during a game to be sure).

Hal

My group has been using FG to run GURPS for 5 years now, without any real issue
    It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by HalC View Post
    If the players don't make the Referee scramble - they're not doing their job correctly.
    One of us!

Well, the old GURPS rules is a little finnecky. It was done way before the CoreRPG ruleset, and therefore lacks some of the stuff that rulessets based on Core. And even though the potential of FG is huge, I actually don't think a ruleset needs more then it has. Well, ok. It would be nice is all skills, ads, disads, items, are treated as items, so you can write desciptions in them and stuff like that.
    I am at the moment playing a GURPS Traveller with the GURPS ruleset.

/H

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop playing!

Now running the first installment of Horizons of the Vast, a Starfinder Campaign, and Kingmaker 2nd ed.

Hey HalC!

Somehow you managed to post on a day when most of the GURPSers were absent!

Gurps in Fantasy Grounds is great! There's the old rulest which works well, and soon there will be an updated version that is compatible with CoreRPG which should allow us to use some of the base extensions that some of the other rulesets are enjoying.

You'll do have to do a bit of work to set it up, and then you'll need to practice to get things moving smoothly. The combat tracker is very useful in keeping track of PCs and NPCs in a fight.

NPC blinded for three rounds? Put on a "blinded" effect with a 3 round timer to keep track of it for you.
    PC is loading his crossbow with a crank? Put a 30 round timer on him and it'll automatically let you know when he is loaded.
    NPC has his left arm chopped off? Put on a crippled left arm effect on him.
    PC is now aiming at an Ogre's (+1 larger) head (-4) after aiming his braced (+1) crossbow for 3 rounds(+6) at a range of 30 yards (-7)? Click on those modifiers to automatically tally them up and apply them to the to-hit roll.

The ruleset comes with hit location tables, critical hits and misses and a few other handy calculators.

The sort of things that you got used to doing by hand in PnP, can be done quicker and with more consistency using the GURPS ruleset with FG2.

Well guys - it would appear that there will be another GURPSite here (if that is what a person who uses GURPS is called). For the moment, it is a matter not of cash, but of time. Knowing that I have to learn to use Lua (a new language) means yet another session of self-training *rueful grin* in an effort to make certain that if I want something that isn't there, I can make it myself. The older version of GURPS with FP2 sounds like it is functionally capable of running a GURPS style game over the net, having seen more than a few posts to that effect (thanks guys for chiming in).

Now, in no particular order...

Finish staining cabinets, varnish cabinets, rip out old linoleum flooring, build new framework on the floor for raising the cabinets a couple inches higher (we be tall people my wife and I), getting a new floor laid in, then setting up the cabinets. Continue learning about SQL for work, continue learning to program with VB.NET and Access. Then there's work, keeping the lawn in decent shape, and all that fun stuff. I think I can squeeze in the learning on how to utilize FP2 ohhhh, sometime around October or November *teasing grin*. Seriously though... You guys aren't making it easy for me to NOT pick it up now and lose an hour or two nightly. Got a guy I want to try a GURPS AGE OF SAIL one on one I'd like to try, then there is perhaps a GURPS HARN. Rest assured, I've not stopped thinking about it. Even told a co-worker about it and she thinks its awesome. Of course, she's not a gamer and all...

To quote a really bad Austrian accent...

I'll be Bach.

Blog Entries
    LUA is only going to be required if you want to edit some automation (naughty naughty ). If you are wanting to make changes to Character Sheets etc then XML might suffice!
    Also there is the ongoing development of a new GURPS ruleset to look forward to.

Hi Guys,
    I finally bit the bullet and purchased the license. Now all I have to do is head over to the house of healing and find how to port forward so that I can get the "test" to come back something other than "failed". I will also need to know how to get the GURPS module, and all that fun stuff.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Hal

Blog Entries
    HalC - if you get stuck on the networking side send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    HalC - if you get stuck on the networking side send me a PM.
    Folks. I'd like to take a moment to say "Thank you" to damned. Without his kindness and patience, I seriously doubt that I would have had my copy of FG2 up and running so quickly. Now, like a noob, I'm going to have to learn to "crawl" before I can learn to walk relatively speaking where it comes to DF2. Each day that I can work with this, and find out what it is capable of, will be another day closer to when I finally gather the nerve to offer my services as either a GURPS player or as a GURPS GM. Take care everyone, and a special thanks to damned for making it easier for me to get some sleep tonight.

Thread Information