STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

How might one work cursed items so that users are affected by them unknowingly?

I have been using a random loot generator and it generated a Ring of Protection + 3 (D&D 3.5) that is cursed to actually do nothing. I think this item would make for some interesting mayhem. If a player character puts this ring on, they would normally expect to go to their character sheet and add the AC bonus. How as a DM would I play this without alerting them to the situation outright? Go in after they add the AC and remove it on their character sheet without their knowledge? Is there some way to nullify the AC that the item gives so that it APPEARS to give a bonus but does not in fact?

Snowhawk

If you're using hidden GM rolls (which is kind of a necessity if you're going to "lie" to your players on a regular basis) just tack on a +3 modifier to attacks vs his AC.

I am using hidden GM rolls and that is not a bad idea. I may need some way to remind myself of that (I have a party of 8 PCs and encounters are looooong so I am starting to need a lot of little reminders).

Kill his character and have him make a new one. Fixes all those awkward issues.

On a more serious note, you're a brave man running an eight man party on a regular basis. I try to avoid anything over five aside from convention one-shots. Good luck with that.

Been running this one for 8 sessions now. I am starting to get the hang of things. I am customizing creatures to be tougher in the damage taking sense, without increasing their damage dealing. This allows me to use fewer enemies (making battle faster) while still keeping the challenge up, and without making enemies routinely capable of one-shotting characters.

Blog Entries
    hidden effects?

If I create a hidden effect (using the effect dialog and ensuring that the eye icon is hidden) and add it to a character they will not see it anywhere?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowhawk View Post
    If I create a hidden effect (using the effect dialog and ensuring that the eye icon is hidden) and add it to a character they will not see it anywhere?
    Open up a second instance of FG on your GM machine. Put in a different username and connect to localhost and then you can experiment. Clear the owner on the character in question and you can work on the real thing and test some options.

OK, hidden or not, the assignment shows up in the players chat alerting them to the fact that something is going on behind the scenes. In this case I saw the following on PC's chat:

Effect;'AC Curse; AC:-4;'] [D:1] -> [to Rorick Iron-splinter]
    Ideally I would like a PC to pick up a cursed artifact, and see the artifacts stated effect applied to them, but NOT see the actual effect applied to them. So a ring of protection which raises your AC +4 (but is cursed to have the opposite effect would have two effects. Shown: Ring of Protection; AC:4;. Not shown: Ring of Protection; AC:-8;.

The visibility setting in the effects window does not seem to have any effect beyond not showing the PC the effect in that window. Applying the effect still shows up in chat and the combat tracker. Additionally I found a setting in the options dialog under Combat (GM) called Show Effects. Setting it to off does not SEEM to do anything, but I did not do extensive testing.

Snowhawk

Blog Entries
    In the RoP case, just add +8 to your rolls against the character. Although, what you suggest would be nice.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information