FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thinking of getting started with some C&C games-Any tips or advice?

So just getting started here with FG. I think I've joined a group to play some Pathfinder but I am still interested in getting into and/or starting some C&C games, maybe a campaign at some point. I have yet to get to plat C&C at a table, but I bought the main books ( 5th editions ) a few years back at Gencon and really liked the simplicity of the system. Am wondering what I should start with besides the basic ruleset. Would you recomend the initial starter modules or something else?
    I also have a stash of some very old basic D&D modules like Keep on the Borderlands ( I wish I still had my original box set it came in ) and wondered how difficult it would be for me to convert it for play with C&C. I haven't messed with the FG tools much, but I see there are some good aids in creating maps, so I think it should be "relatively" easy to do things like that as well as create original maps for FG. But I figured I should probably start with a premade module like A0 or A1. Would those be the best way for a new CK and players ( assuming I can find some) to get started?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Fan of Castles and Crusades/Savage Worlds, just about any rpgs.

I am in Eastern time zone and am fairly open most play times, but do prefer Evening or late night games.

PM me your email address; I have a nice collection of effects / modifiers / tables for use with C&C. Also, I have an opening in my Tuesday night game if you're interested (8-11pm US/Central).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueshaft View Post
    So just getting started here with FG. I think I've joined a group to play some Pathfinder but I am still interested in getting into and/or starting some C&C games, maybe a campaign at some point. I have yet to get to plat C&C at a table, but I bought the main books ( 5th editions ) a few years back at Gencon and really liked the simplicity of the system. Am wondering what I should start with besides the basic ruleset. Would you recomend the initial starter modules or something else?
    I also have a stash of some very old basic D&D modules like Keep on the Borderlands ( I wish I still had my original box set it came in ) and wondered how difficult it would be for me to convert it for play with C&C. I haven't messed with the FG tools much, but I see there are some good aids in creating maps, so I think it should be "relatively" easy to do things like that as well as create original maps for FG. But I figured I should probably start with a premade module like A0 or A1. Would those be the best way for a new CK and players ( assuming I can find some) to get started?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Im not a huge fan of A0 and A1 but as they are pre-made they will make it easier on you as GM - having to learn the GM side, learn Castles&Crusades and preparing material.

I really enjoy C&C and the ruleset is good. It contains full Players Handbook and Monsters & Treasures resources.

You absolutely can convert your other D&D stuff over very easily. If you find during the game sessions that the players are finding it too easy - increase the HD of a couple of monsters (this also improves their attack rolls) and if they are finding it too hard, reduce the monsters HP or reduce the number of monsters. Do it on the fly - you will know if its required.

Id consider starting the characters off at least at level 2 - level 1 characters just die so easy and the wizard is sooo boring with such limited spells.

When recruiting - sometimes its more effective to say "old school D&D" or similar rather than Castles&Crusades...

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    PM me your email address; I have a nice collection of effects / modifiers / tables for use with C&C. Also, I have an opening in my Tuesday night game if you're interested (8-11pm US/Central).
    I play in Andraax's Tuesday game and would love to see another player join!! At least give it a try for a session or two and get a feel for the ruleset in action. Plus Andraax can give you pointers on being a GM. He is quite good at it.
    Ultimate License Holder--All can play in my games.

Need Help as a GM, PM me and I will give as much assistance as I can to get you started.

COMPLETED PROJECTS--Fifth Edition Foes (Frog God Games) 5E. Quests of Doom Volume 1 (Frog God Games) 5E, Quests of Doom Volume II (Frog God Games) 5E.

CURRENT PROJECTS--Quests of Doom 3 & 4 (Frog God Games) 5E.

Blog Entries
    Trueshaft I have a Friday evening game in Central time zone that is starting up again in a couple of weeks, there is one opening if you've still got an interest.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I appreciate the offer and I would be very interested, but on Fridays I don't normally get home from work till about 10 pm est my time, so not sure how compatible our times would be.But if that jibes with your schedule, great!
    I also appreciate the advice. I'm still looking at tutorials and have just played my first FG game. Still haven't decided on what mod to tackle for a first time C&C gm. Any recomendations on that? Eventually I might adapt a couple of those old school D&D mods ( like Keep On the Borderlands) for Castles and Crusades, but what about a good starter mod to get my feet wet?

Also is the basic C&C ruleset enough to get started with? I also have the actual books as well.
    Last edited by Trueshaft; September 3rd, 2015 at 02:27.
    Fan of Castles and Crusades/Savage Worlds, just about any rpgs.

I am in Eastern time zone and am fairly open most play times, but do prefer Evening or late night games.

Blog Entries
    C&C ruleset in FG gives you everything you need in most cases. The CKG is a nice add, as is Classic Monsters. I would not suggest most modules unfortunately, as the maps do not appear to have ever received necessary work to make them more useful in the VTT environment. Just my opinion.

If you're looking at conversion, I'd start with a combination of B1, B2 and the Shadowed Keep on the Borderlands.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Trueshaft the $10 ruleset contains everything you need to get started. There is other goodness in Castle Keepers Guide and Classic Monsters but these volumes were not even in existence for the first 5 or so years of Castles&Crusades in the physical format.
    Watch these videos - they are 2-7mins each - if you get a chance - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r6UcaaLvD7YlJd
    Poor production quality but they are all done using C&C and are all useful.
    Im not a huge fan of the official adventures but they are cheap and they are quick to get going so I would try one so as to ease your startup learning/prep time/effort.
    Ask questions - lots of advice and tips to be found here.

Here's an article you might find helpful: Converting D&D/AD&D/D20 System to Castles & Crusades.

Have fun!
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture View Post
    Here's an article you might find helpful: Converting D&D/AD&D/D20 System to Castles & Crusades.

Have fun!
    He's Back!!!
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz