DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture View Post
    Here's an article you might find helpful: Converting D&D/AD&D/D20 System to Castles & Crusades.

Have fun!
    Hola good Doc!

Hello gents. If by "back you mean haunting the forums as time allows, then that's me... but sadly still not active. Glad to send a link along to a new C&C GM, tho.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture View Post
    Hello gents. If by "back you mean haunting the forums as time allows, then that's me... but sadly still not active. Glad to send a link along to a new C&C GM, tho.
    Ahh, so tis a Lurker you've become - ye be warned ye young Noobs: watch out for the Lurkers - Evil follows in their wake and they seduce ye into blasphemous rites and rituals - also knows as Castles & Crusades

Me, on the other-hand, will seduce ye with bright shiny Extensions that will draw you in and weed their tendrils into your campaigns until they become impossible to do without - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Last edited by dulux-oz; September 3rd, 2015 at 07:01.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    watch out for the Lurkers - Evil follows in their wake and they seduce ye into blasphemous rites and rituals

A-yup.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Thank you all for the tips. particularly the bit about converting AD&D to C&C.I am thinking of going with a pre made mod to start with, then build off that. I've read good things about Shadows of the Halfling Hall as a good beginners adventure.Using the classic adventures like I mentioned before sounds like a blast, but I do worry that the folks who'd be most into playing C&C would most likely have also played them. Then again, those early adventures left a lot of room for GMs to get creative. I've GM'ed a good number of Pathfinder mods over the years, and I almost never followed the scripted adventure 100%. Any opinions on some of Troll Lord's actual settings for a campaign or series of adventures? I gather Greyhawk is pretty popular here, which is why I'd be more inclined to use a different setting. I've been reading up on The Haunted Highlands and the general setting for Aihrde, but can't decide.
    Fan of Castles and Crusades/Savage Worlds, just about any rpgs.

I am in Eastern time zone and am fairly open most play times, but do prefer Evening or late night games.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if this might be a good place to start your characters... https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...?id=TLG8507FG2
    I have the physical book but have never even peeked inside so I cant vouch for it either way....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I wonder if this might be a good place to start your characters... https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...?id=TLG8507FG2
    I have the physical book but have never even peeked inside so I cant vouch for it either way....
    I have this module in PDF format, as well as the FG version. I would say it is a nice resource for laying out a decent sized city which can be adventured in.

ToK gives a summary of major NPCs and some insight on how PCs might interact (run afoul) with them. As with all/most C&C content in FG you're going to have to do some work to make ToK playable in FG (IMO anyways).

This has nothing to do with the FG conversion; it is faithful to the original document (S Ferguson did a great job converting it). What you are going to need is supplemental maps for city streets, taverns, sewers, etc... all the usual areas that you might expect to require an encounter map in FG you will need to source yourself (or, keeping with the b&w style, perhaps draw and scan in yourself). There is a large scale map of the city, but it isn't something you can put tokens on and use for encounters.

TLG seems to take a minimalist approach to stat blocks so you may find yourself having to fill in some blanks if necessary. The one very nice thing in ToK from my perspective is that the major NPCs you might have PCs encountering are of a power level that is reasonable; you will not worry about the 25th level Captain of the Watch and how he relates to a 2nd level group.

I would say that ToK gives a CK a good sandbox base setting, and then you can go and add your own content for adventuring, either within the city walls or outside in the wilds beyond. It's interesting to compare ToK to another C&C city setting in Free City of Eskadia, which is sadly not available in a FG conversion. I would say that FCoE is a better sandbox product which gives the CK more to work with to hit the ground running, including reasonable city quarter maps and sewers that you can actually screenshot from the PDF and get a resolution reasonable for a battle map in FG. The down side with FCoE is that since it hasn't been converted to FG, you still have to do some upfront work before you start playing.

If you want any C&C related information, please feel free to PM me.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueshaft View Post
    Thank you all for the tips. particularly the bit about converting AD&D to C&C.I am thinking of going with a pre made mod to start with, then build off that. I've read good things about Shadows of the Halfling Hall as a good beginners adventure.Using the classic adventures like I mentioned before sounds like a blast, but I do worry that the folks who'd be most into playing C&C would most likely have also played them. Then again, those early adventures left a lot of room for GMs to get creative. I've GM'ed a good number of Pathfinder mods over the years, and I almost never followed the scripted adventure 100%. Any opinions on some of Troll Lord's actual settings for a campaign or series of adventures? I gather Greyhawk is pretty popular here, which is why I'd be more inclined to use a different setting. I've been reading up on The Haunted Highlands and the general setting for Aihrde, but can't decide.
    Hey Trueshaft... just wondering how it's going so far.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

To be honest I haven't gotten very far. My attitude about playing soured a little bit. Joined a campaign a few months ago, and things were going good. I was slowly learning the ins and outs of FG. Then the group changed their playtimes because of another players situation. Problem was, the whole group fell apart ( including me) after we changed game time. People started missing sessions, it seemed like we were always short a player, then I started doing the same. It kind of reinforced some things I learned when I used to DM table top games.
    Always have more people than you need, because you always have no shows and dropouts, at least at first.If you need at least 4 players, try to recruit 6,etc..
    I also think I may try just running a game every other week, maybe not. My old table top group would meet every other Sunday back in the day, and once we finally got a core group of people regularly, things were fantastic
    Set your playing time and stick with it. If a player's availability changes, work with them if you can, but if their change is permanent then you have to replace them, not ask the whole group to change their times.

Anyway, the whole thing was kind of discouraging. I still have ideas of what I want to do and plan to move forward eventually with some C&C related gaming. I might hold off till after the holidays to get rolling, though.I do plan on using ToK as a resource.

I do have a question about group size for C&C. I've seen talk of groups of 10 players or people actually running a couple characters. Is C&C geared towards that? I was thinking 6 player would be the optimal size ( 8 if I allow for the inevitable dropouts and last minute plan folks)..
    Fan of Castles and Crusades/Savage Worlds, just about any rpgs.

I am in Eastern time zone and am fairly open most play times, but do prefer Evening or late night games.

Blog Entries
    heya Trueshaft. I ran C&C fortnightly for about 4years. I think that covered three campaigns.
    We played the same time (give or take - we originally started later to support the US guys but eventually brought it back to AUS times) every other week. If we had a week off it still stayed on teh same fortnight.
    The first campaign was my first time GMing in about 25years. First real use of FG. Big learning curve - Im sure it was pretty rough at times.
    Anyway - the group morphed a bit over time but it still plays every other week (but right now Im a player in a 5e campaign) - in fact most of them play the opposite week too and another group member is currently running Star Wars.
    Ok, lots of side tracking going on.
    It takes time to build up a group. Sometimes its a struggle to recruit. If you can keep a couple of good gamers who are reliable and enthusiastic you will eventually build a stable group. There are a lot more players today than there were 4 years ago.

Definitely pick your time and day ad stick to it. Strongly encourage your players to be committed and be there every session. How you deal with absences is up to you. I still ran the session if I had two players or seven. It actually runs faster and more smoothly with less players. Have them pick up essential characters if required or scale the adventure or send them on a side quest. Or even run a one shot of something different - or have one of them run the one shot.

Our group currently has a Kiwi (Ross stays up till 3am), an American (Ted gets up at 430am), a Dutchman (Tim gets to sleep in and have a lazy afternoon playing) and 4 Aussies. When you have a pretty stable core group of players recruiting a single or even two players is less stressful and in fact is easier - the players will often introduce another player to the group.

I think 3 or 4 players is really your ideal minimum and any more than 6 the game gets bogged down. But as I said above - if two players are available I would still run the session. It helps keep the commitment/discipline/continuity going.

Thread Information