5E Character Create Playlist
Page 12 of 21 First ... 21011121314 ... Last
    Well a module like Curse of Strahd already has all the encounters prepared, but I make sure to prepare by reviewing all the areas I think my group will visit to get familiar with encounters, traps, role-play opportunities, etc. And I sometimes edit the encounters before dropping them on the CT if I think the encounter is too easy or too hard for my group. And yes I use the map for combat so it's easy for my players to say "I go up to this zombie and hit it with my warhammer" by pointing at the screen. I usually put the PCs on the map as well to have a clear image of positioning but sometimes I will just use a letter "P" token to represent the whole party. And creating simple encounters on the fly is easy too if the need arises.

My first session was entirely pen-and-paper and theatre-of-the-mind but perhaps I was having a hard time describing the locations they visited because the players kept getting confused about directions and when they showed me the maps they made as they progressed, they were completely wrong! So for the next session I brought my laptop and a monitor, showed them the map with fog-of-war, they loved it, and that's how we run now.

Quote Originally Posted by BgHurt View Post
    There was an issue with the Candara.ttf font due to an errant comma in the xml on this.

I tried to email damned, the original poster of this extension, but his inbox is full. So I just fixed it and uploaded it here. Hope that is "OK"
    Hi BgHurt, hope you read this. Tried this ext and so far is the best for the the clarity and size of fonts of all FG but i got an issue and maybe you have a solution:
    Last text lines on CT are Cutoff, dont know why:
    cutCT.png
    I really hope you can fix it.
    Thank you very much!

Hi All,
    I'm starting to look for a new laptop, and one of my considerations is to be able to smoothly run Fantasy Grounds out to a 43" 4k TV. Right now, if I move a map it's chopping and laggy, but fine once it's moved. My current hardware is a Dell Venue 11 Pro 7000 (Intel 620 Graphics)

First, are there any considerations I should have in mind for improving performance with FG while extending my screen to a 43" TV via HDMI?
    Second, what are the recommended hardware specs to have a good experience with this sort of set up, please? I'm specifically looking for requirements for a GPU, CPU, and RAM, please.

Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancekat View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm starting to look for a new laptop, and one of my considerations is to be able to smoothly run Fantasy Grounds out to a 43" 4k TV. Right now, if I move a map it's chopping and laggy, but fine once it's moved. My current hardware is a Dell Venue 11 Pro 7000 (Intel 620 Graphics)

First, are there any considerations I should have in mind for improving performance with FG while extending my screen to a 43" TV via HDMI?
    Second, what are the recommended hardware specs to have a good experience with this sort of set up, please? I'm specifically looking for requirements for a GPU, CPU, and RAM, please.

Thank you.
    Its possible that some of the lag may have nothing to do with hardware and be a limitation of the engine...

I have successfully used Fantasy Grounds at the table and it worked very well. I hooked up a big screen TV to my laptop as a second monitor and ran two copies of FG, one as the DM and one as a "player" on a local host. I used the "player" version on the TV to show maps (using the fog of war to uncover it as the player's went through the dungeon) and images (NPCs, monsters, landscapes, etc.). I would be tempted to even use the TV as a battle mat next time by laying it flat on the table and using the maps for miniatures (but I think I need to put a piece of plexiglass over the screen to protect it) as they can be easily zoomed in and out of.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
    There are no solved problems; there are only problems that are more or less solved.
    All the best,Liamos Diceus
    Last edited by Liamos; July 13th, 2018 at 12:48.

Welcome to the forums and FG Community Liamos!

Quote Originally Posted by Liamos View Post
    I would be tempted to even use the TV as a battle mat next time by laying it flat on the table and using the maps for miniatures (but I think I need to put a piece of plexiglass over the screen to protect it) as they can be easily zoomed in and out of.
    I do this all the time. Definitely get a plexiglass insert for the screen.

You'll also probably need this extension to help with map sizing: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-To-Face-games
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I do this all the time. Definitely get a plexiglass insert for the screen.

You'll also probably need this extension to help with map sizing: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-To-Face-games
    Trenloe's extensions are a must have to do this well.

Trenloe's extensions are a must have to do this well.
    Thanks!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi All,

Thank you.
    Any modern CPU and reasonable amount of memory (by today's standards, I wouldn't get anything with less than 8GB RAM) would do just fine. The CPU and memory are not very important, as FG does not push those hard right now. Avoid anything with an Intel GPU, as the current FG engine has graphical performance problems with those chips. While the Intel chips are pretty good for most purposes, and can drive a large monitor just fine, it seems like those chips are not optimized very well for DirectX9, which is what FG currently uses.

I have a pretty new (<1 year old) laptop with an Intel GPU that FG runs very choppy. I also have a ~7 year old laptop with an nVidia GPU and FG runs perfectly smooth on it by itself. But, the old laptop doesn't have HDMI or work well with my 4k TV, so it's not much help there.

All of this may (and probably will) change when FGU becomes available...

Thread Information