5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Thread: Creating fonts

Creating fonts

Fantasy Grounds uses a custom font file format. To generate FG fonts based on any system font, there's a small utility program we have used in producing the files in the d20 ruleset, which you can download from the link below:

Fantasy Grounds font generator

It's a simple program with not much in the way of help files. To create a font, select it on the first dialog that you get running the utility, and press OK. Select a location to place the FGF-file (in your ruleset folder), and save. Use a font tag to use the file and to define text colors (see the d20 ruleset file data/bmpfonts.xml for examples).
    Tero Parvinen
    Fantasy Grounds Guru

Re: Creating fonts

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin-King
    Fantasy Grounds uses a custom font file format. To generate FG fonts based on any system font, there's a small utility program we have used in producing the files in the d20 ruleset, which you can download from the link below:

Fantasy Grounds font generator

It's a simple program with not much in the way of help files. To create a font, select it on the first dialog that you get running the utility, and press OK. Select a location to place the FGF-file (in your ruleset folder), and save. Use a font tag to use the file and to define text colors (see the d20 ruleset file data/bmpfonts.xml for examples).
    Looks interesting!. FYI...Is bmpfonts.xml a custom file? I don't see that file in my data directory.

Thanks,
    Matt

Re: Creating fonts

Quote Originally Posted by msd
    Looks interesting!. FYI...Is bmpfonts.xml a custom file? I don't see that file in my data directory.
    We're still investigating this, but you might get around it by using the utility mentioned in this thread.
    Tero Parvinen
    Fantasy Grounds Guru

Is there any way to use FG fonts in other programs? I would like to be able to choose the FG font in programs like Word or Gimp or any other program that lets you use custom fonts.
    Currently I am having to type what I want in a FG character sheet and then take a screen shot by push alt-printscreen. I then paste this into a graphics program and have to modify it to change the colors if I want it in another color. It would be so much easier if I could just choose the font in the program I am working with.

I don't have the bmpfonts.xml custom file either, and I did a full install of 1.03. I actually built a character sheet and need two different fonts on it, a larger and a smaller version, and I'm not sure what the parameters are to indicate which I want. I saw in another thread that there's a <font name="name"> thing you can do, but does that let you use full path information, or do you have to have the bmpfonts.xml file in the <include> section of the base.xml first?

Quote Originally Posted by Zane_Marlowe
    I don't have the bmpfonts.xml custom file either, and I did a full install of 1.03. I actually built a character sheet and need two different fonts on it, a larger and a smaller version, and I'm not sure what the parameters are to indicate which I want. I saw in another thread that there's a <font name="name"> thing you can do, but does that let you use full path information, or do you have to have the bmpfonts.xml file in the <include> section of the base.xml first?
    Try the utility in this thread to get the bmpfonts.xml file.

If it's more convenient for you, here's a snippet from it that shows you how to take fonts into use that you can place in any file you include into your ruleset:

Code:
    	<font name="chatfont">
    		<fgffile name="data\fonts\regular.fgf" />
    		<color value="#000000" />
    	</font>
    The color value is a code similar to the one used in html.
    Tero Parvinen
    Fantasy Grounds Guru

While I'm at it, I might as well reply to this one I missed for some reason. ops:

Quote Originally Posted by Cantstanzya
    Is there any way to use FG fonts in other programs? I would like to be able to choose the FG font in programs like Word or Gimp or any other program that lets you use custom fonts.
    Currently I am having to type what I want in a FG character sheet and then take a screen shot by push alt-printscreen. I then paste this into a graphics program and have to modify it to change the colors if I want it in another color. It would be so much easier if I could just choose the font in the program I am working with.
    Most windows fonts normal users have can't generally be distributed legally as such. The point of the licenses is usually to allow you to use them for a purpose, but not redistribute directly, which is what being able to use them in Word etc. would basically be.

For what it's worth, you can change the color of fonts used in the ruleset definitions.
    Tero Parvinen
    Fantasy Grounds Guru

i wanted to check out how this works. this is what i did:

- put the regular.fgf, regularitalics.fgf, regularbold.fgf, regularbolditalics.fgf, diemod.fgf, and diemodsmall.fgf in a new directory called "original_fonts".

- create the fonts using the fontgenerator app and saved them in the /data/fonts directory, replacing the exact ones that i moved into "original_fonts"---in essense, i've substituted the original fonts with the new fonts without messing around with the file names.

- place the bmpfonts.xml in the /ruleset/d20 directory---all fonts reference in this file point to the /data/fonts directory.

- launch fg.

now, in theory, i should see some changes in the fonts, right?

i don't. everything looks the same as it were set default. what did i miss, and where would i see the font change?

As I understand it, the /data folder isn't actually used, but a copy of the files contained in the resource-archive. To be able to use your custom fonts, put them in a sub-directory of your rulesystem instead and change bmpfonts.xml accordingly.

thnx for the tip, but it is not working for me.

has anyone got it to work? would you please give step-by-step instructions?

also, does the font format (true type, open type, etc...) have anything to do with it...i.e. does fontgenerator convert only a specific font format?

Thread Information