DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    I thought one gets the converter when downloading FG classic? So, it might be worth a try, just download (and maybe install) FG classic, get the converter from the utility directory and then you can just uninstall FG classic again
    Yea, you do get it. But the converter is so old and unmaintained I doubt the xml it creates will be compatible with current FGU. And the reason it got dropped in the first place, if I remember correctly, was that HL was changing their character format so often that SmiteWorks gave up on trying to keep the converter up to date with all the HL changes.

In short, the old converter is extremely unlikely to work with the new HL and new FG formats.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Some time ago I started a thread about this asking if there was any chance that SmiteWorks could release the code of the converter so that hopefully updating/maintaining it could become a community project. Unfortunately I got no answer on that specific question, although it was in the busy days following the release of FG 4.6. Maybe we'll have better luck here.

I think HL classic is barely maintained now that they have switched to HL online. On the bright side, I imagine the HL classic character format is unlikely to change any further.

I did download FG classic looking for the converter but I think I could not even find it - and I don't think I can launch FG classic at all without a lot of effort with virtual machines and such.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snupy View Post
    Some time ago I started a thread about this asking if there was any chance that SmiteWorks could release the code of the converter so that hopefully updating/maintaining it could become a community project. Unfortunately I got no answer on that specific question, although it was in the busy days following the release of FG 4.6. Maybe we'll have better luck here.

I think HL classic is barely maintained now that they have switched to HL online. On the bright side, I imagine the HL classic character format is unlikely to change any further.

I did download FG classic looking for the converter but I think I could not even find it - and I don't think I can launch FG classic at all without a lot of effort with virtual machines and such.
    I suggest you submit a ticket via the Helpdesk. Ask for a copy of the converter as it was and if the code can be released to the community.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I suggest you submit a ticket via the Helpdesk. Ask for a copy of the converter as it was and if the code can be released to the community.
    Just done, will post when/if I get an answer.

Given the state of the code as well as the licensing/support issues and time to manage/setup, I wouldn't feel comfortable with releasing the source code, nor do I have the bandwidth to do so. However, I can easily provide the XSLT sheets and XML templates as a starting point for a community project. (attached)

From there, I suggest someone start a separate community project to build the HL import as an extension for release on the Forge. With the File.openTextFile and Utility.decodeXML APIs currently available in FGU, this could now be built as an extension.

Regards,
    JPG
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information