5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    West Virginia (not the redneckish part), USA
    I was looking for something you could download, read and run was more of what I had on mind. I don't mind paying a bit for it simply because I lack the ability and time right now to learn create one
    No matter where you go, there you are !!
    Ultimate License

Blog Entries
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Quote Originally Posted by Wazoodust View Post
    I was looking for something you could download, read and run was more of what I had on mind. I don't mind paying a bit for it simply because I lack the ability and time right now to learn create one
    As Mask mentions, that scenario is a qood one for a one-shot. It's not in FG format, but won't take much to get the base stuff you need to run this in FG - assuming that you're running with voice.
    • The scenario comes with a player safe map (it's a large .PNG file, you'll need to convert it to JPG and make sure the size is below 1mb - loading into GIMP and exporting to JPG at 75% quality gives a 762kb file which is OK).
    • Most of the monsters in the scenario are from the Monster Manual. So if you already have the FG Monster Manual you can use these as-is. There are only three custom NPCs that shouldn't take more than a few minutes to copy/paste from the PDF.

So - you have your map. You have your NPCs. Create some encounters with the NPCs (and tokens if needed) and put a link to those on the map at the relevant location.

That's all you really need... You're now ready to run your scenario on FG, referencing the PDF for story, events, etc..
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't mind running something for 5E at FG/Con, but currrently lack the skill to create a one shot, and doubt I have time to learn it and create one. Is there anywhere that someone has built a one shot for sale that I could run. This could be something that might sell in the store as I have had several instances where people just get together here or on TS and want to run something quick for a couple hours. A small collection with pregens would be awesome ( I know I'm pushing it here ). Just my idea that could also help players and DM's get more familiar with things and possibly create some DM's as they get comfortable with running FG
    Hey Wazoodust I replied to a similar post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post228390

Mask_Of_Winter is very good at building a 3 encounter one shot often with a twist.

Looks like I may have to get my feet a little wetter sooner than I intended !
    Now to wake up that brain cell that does ideas ans reintroduce it to the other 5 that are awake
    Ultimate License

Getting ready for some spooky horror at FG Con 7: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...on-map-preview
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Looks like I may have to get my feet a little wetter sooner than I intended !
    Now to wake up that brain cell that does ideas ans reintroduce it to the other 5 that are awake
    If you stick to only 3 or 4 encounters and a fairly linear plot line you dont have to over think it too much. Try to add something other than straight hack and slash though to keep the players thinking and engaged. Some clues to find, some trap to avoid, some betrayal. You only have to aim to keep them busy for 3 hours so give it a go

Blog Entries
    If I may, here are a few tips for building exciting one-shot/convention format games.

Start in media res. This means "in the middle of things". Tell the players their characters were on the way to the macguffin (plot device, objective) and were attacked by brigands who were really interested in the map they have. Run the combat. Yes, start with action. You only have a couple hours. Nothing puts players in the zone more than rolling dice and having to make life saving choices. Once the battle or action scene is over explain to them how they met this dude who gave them a mission, what the mission is and how fat the purse he gave you is. Maybe their character wouldn't have taken the mission or have questions? Oh please, they're here to play D&D, of course their character took the mission. If they have questions, let them ask one question each, answer truthfully and move on.

Plan for 3 hours of game-play for a 4 hours session. I understand it's hard to know how long something will take. It depends on the rule system, the number of players and many other factors. It usually takes longer than anticipated to run something. Keep an optional scene in your back pocket just in case.

Pick three locations and find or make a map for each. Pick interesting locations with fun features like trees to climb, alcoves for cover, siege weapons to play with, well with a bad habit of spawning tentacles, ruined buildings, columns or statues that can be toppled over, carts full of hay you can jump down on, etc.

Keep it simple. There's no room for clever and intricate stories here. You have 3 or 4 hours remember?

Keep the players on track. When things stall remind them of their objectives and ask them questions. "Where were you going next again?" If they still stall trying to come up with a course of action where they expect the least trouble (boring) have the opposition come to them or spawn a random encounters. RPGs without action/drama are boring and with only 4 hours there shouldn't be any time wasted on making elaborate plans.

I could go on and on but this should give you some direction. I don't know how experienced a GM you are either. Designing a fun adventure suited for a 4 hours time slot is challenging. The more you run the better at it you get. Campaigns are rewarding but once you've run a successful one-shot game you'll find it exhilarating.

If any of you need help designing their one-shot I'm happy to help. You know where to find me.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

I just may take you up on that in a week or so, I've got my first LMoP to run Tues and 2nd AL encounters at the store Wed. I'm sure I'll be more comfortable after I get that under my belt.
    Ultimate License

I've been itching to run Escape from Mos Shuuta for a group of EotE newbies, but I'm iffy about being able to do 7 encounters in 4 hours. On the one hand, as a learning adventure, it's intentionally brief & linear. I think an experienced group of gamers could pull it off in 4 hours without too much trouble. But since it's designed for new players... therein lies my conundrum. Any thoughts on this from folks who may have played through it?

Thread Information