Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Deasile

It's not complicated. As said above by others, do what you want but you then have to connect to your hosting computer via a screen share/control application like RDP.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

There are other Tabletops that you can set a dedicated server for both windows and linux. As the GM you connect to the dedicated as well with an admin password so it knows you are the GM. The players have a separate password to connect to it. You can do the GM stuff right from your desktop without needing to use RDP. For me though, before I seen an option with this in FG. I think there are bigger things for the team to work on, especially with FGU than adding true dedicated mode.

There is in relative terms if networking is understood by the person deploying the services little issue in setting up a remote server, however these are often not free and may cost more than leaving your own secure PC turned on.

Those thinking there is some major difference or reason a DM cant run a game like this are mistaken there is little difference than running the server on your own equipment at home other than the DM /GM is connecting to the server via the network, wan themselves.
    I will note of course it is dependent on network speeds the clients connections the DM connections and the server resources.

At present unless the FG software is changed and multiple live sessions for different games e.g. many DMs may like to run a dedicated server for different sessions live and as a permanent process, but doing so would be more complex and not for those with limited networking skills, so I have to say for most this is not at all viable or even sensible at present.

What would be nice to see is the ability to host multiple games on different ports on one host, yes the home host at present and that would mean the GM could leave his PC on with the services running for the player base, e.g Mondays Dungeon crawl, Thursdays starfinder, Sundays vampire session ect all live at the same time.

However even as described above at present this could cause issues for those not locking the games down and one could find players cause more issues than needed having access to the system being on all the time.

Hopefully one day someone will take the time to look at these and other comments and realise actually the system could be much more, but add at present it solves the requirements of most other than the professional GM's amongst us and even then its not the end of the world.

I run a not for profit, fun website, look us up we are slowly integrating other services and hope to soon have a pro DM system much better than others to compliment FG we have the support of many of the industry leaders in our efforts for the communities and you can find us on Discord as well.

www.boardgamer.games
    Board trans 2.png
    Last edited by Daro Syko; November 21st, 2021 at 12:23.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    You could do that with FGC - Ive not tried it with FGU...
    Hmm i was not aware of that and will look closer, thanks.

Thread Information