DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

PFS Thornkeep #2: The Forgotten Laboratory (NORMAL, Levels 2-4, 3XP/4PP)

I will be running a 2nd group through Thornkeep: The Forgotten Laboratory. Time TBD.

Summary: Although much of the Accursed Halls was overrun by goblins and the undead remnants of recent explorers, the third level of the dungeon remains largely untouched. Back in the days of Nhur Athemon, the wizard used this layer of his underground complex as a laboratory for all manner of experiments both arcane and alchemical. Only his most trusted servants were allowed into this layer and beyond. Now, the sanctum known as the Forgotten Laboratory is home to new dangers. Vast rewards await those who can overcome the dungeon’s hazards, but the cowardly or incompetent can look forward to only a swift death—or worse.

Written by Jason Bulmahn

Calendar Link

Details:
    Event #: 63254
    Event Name: FG Online-PFS Thornkeep #2 (FL)
    Provisional Time: TBD
    Award: 3XP/4PP (module)
    Estimated Time: 1-2 session (1st group finished in 1 long session)
    Character Level: 2-4

Currently, I have invited 5 of you from the Accursed Halls session. There is room for 1 more (unless not all of those from the 1st session want to continue) and the party could use a divine type. Kyra/4 or similar might be a good choice, since this group has lost its cleric from part 1 (AxitMaster has already played Part 2).

Please post or send me the following info:
    - xml (please include pfs id and faction in the notes tab of your character)
    - portrait/token (150x150 preferred)
    - chronicle
    - tracking info (as available)

NOTE: I have an Ultimate license, which means that unlicensed Fantasy Grounds users can play.

Thanks.
    Last edited by HoloGnome; June 30th, 2015 at 02:18.

"cowardly or incompetent" that very much sounds like my run in with the purple mist. Anyways, I'm down to play the weekend after next (July 10-12). Going to be tied up watching someone try to blow up the sky this coming weekend. As for needing the divination type, it's not my cup of tea but if no one else wants to take the role I'll start looking into it.

I'm in and the 10th -11th would work for me as well. Would like to play G'Resh, but if you don't get a divine player. I would be willing to do the pregen cleric
    That which doesn't kill us shouldn't run as they will only die tired. EST-5. Veteran player new to FG

OK - sounds good. So far, only you 2 have confirmed part 2. Also, I have another game on the 11th, but might be able to do it in the early AM, or possibly on Sunday the 12th.

I would like to do a reroll on my char before it levels up to change it to a combat-medic paladin build if possible.
    That which doesn't kill us shouldn't run as they will only die tired. EST-5. Veteran player new to FG

OK - you don't have to "re-roll." In Pathfinder Society you can retrain your character any time during 1st level - different class, different stats, etc. If you need help, let me know. Also, let me know if you are selling gear that will need to go on your chronicle. As part of retraining, anything you sell back will be at 100% of its value.

Changed character

This is my change to my PFS character
    I still need to update with you as she is only level 1. Just let me know when is good for you.

OK - I'll look it over. You can also save the G'Resh build and work you did on him as another character. Just make another character at paizo.com and he will be -2.

Well if crusader is still planning on running a paladin to fill our void of divine characters I might swap over to running a swashbuckler/investigator to slide into the skill monkey/rogueish slot. I won't be hitting as hard for sure and have a few combats that I won't be much help in...I imagine. If you guys have any inputs I'm all ears. If not I'll continue try to get the backup character hashed out.

Edit: Actually, I have a bit of a burning question. When it comes to changing pretty much everything about a character before they reach lvl 2, how do prestige purchases work? Would I be able to resell for prestige points back or gold? Additionally, I did expend 1 use of wand of mage armor. I was wondering how that could be handled or if I could simply replace it with a different wand at 49 charges? It's a bit nit picky, but I don't want to cheat the system, I'm just unfamiliar with some aspects of it.
    Last edited by AznVille; July 10th, 2015 at 23:29.

Hi Azn - things you purchase with PP have 0gp value. You cannot sell them back for gold as part of retraining or otherwise.

Regarding your wand question, the spirit of the 1st-level retraining rules is that you should be able to change anything about your character at 1st level.

Quote Originally Posted by PFS Guide, p. 10
    At the start of a Pathfinder’s career, you are allowed to adjust your character before settling in for the long haul. Before you level up a character for the first time, you may change any aspect of it except its Pathfinder Society Number.
    In my games, I would allow you to change the wand for another 1st-level at the equivalent charge count, but expect table variation. Some GMs may let you modify PP-related items like wands in this manner and some may not. I personally don't care about this kind of stuff. However, in the strictest possible interpretation of the 1st-level retraining rules, it might be an issue. But, in the interest of fun and encouraging new players to delight in their characters and participate in and embrace the game, what is the point of allowing them to change anything at 1st level, then punishing them for making a PP purchase before they understand the implication in light of other changes they might need or want to make to their character? There is no value in that kind of mindless enforcement of rules vs. overall player experience and enjoyment.

Hypothetically, when trading one 1st level wand for another with equivalent charge usage as part of first-level training, there is absolutely no abuse. It changes nothing about the game and is well within the bounds of fairness, especially if other changes you are making require a different wand. Further, if you haven't used the wand at all, I would even allow you to use the 2 PP in an alternate manner...but that is rarely the case. "Oh, I should have used my PP for X instead of a brand new wand. I'm still learning about all this PFS stuff." "Sure - no problem."

Maybe in the future, there will be a rule to cover this issue that explicity states that players may also swap 1st-level wands, maintaining the charge usage count, as part of 1st-level retraining. I hope that's the case, because PFS is great, lots of fun, and should always try to take the easy path to resolve issues within reason and whenever possible for the good of all concerned and the good of the game, especially where the spirt of the rules support it.

And, this is just my personal opinion. You don't have to dig very far for RAW (Rules As Written) vs. RAI (Rules As Intended) debates.
    Last edited by HoloGnome; July 12th, 2015 at 15:06.

Thread Information