DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 23 of 52 First ... 13212223242533 ... Last

Thread: DCC RPG Ruleset

Quote Originally Posted by benjihad View Post
    So theoretically, I could take the 3.5E spells/monsters/magic items modules, change the ruleset to DCCRPG and use those as a guide to get started with some conversions?
    In theory you could. You'd be removing a lot of stuff, renaming/reorganising and then adding in DCC specific information - all of this would have to be done by manually editing the XML. It's up to you if you think this would be easier than taking the DCC specific template module here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post271874 and copy/pasting to build a DCC relevant spell module.

Quote Originally Posted by benjihad View Post
    Is that something I can upload to here?
    As long as it is purely OGL/SRD content - and you include a relevant OGL, then you could upload it. But, as I say above, the majority of DCC spell information is *not* in the SRD, it is significantly different, so I really don't know what information of value you could upload?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I really don't know what information of value you could upload?
    It probably took some time to enter the data from the SRD. Saves me that time to be able to use these as a base, was hoping it might help someone else, too. Can click-drag to a character sheet without having to copy-paste everything. I'll do the monsters & magic items if there's more interest, eitherwise I'll keep my value-less info to myself! Hmph!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...lTemplates.mod

Sorry, I thought you were going to modify the spells in that module specifically for DCC, and then share those, not just provide the 3.5E Spells module tagged for DCCRPG.

It's up to other if they feel this is of use. In my limited exposure to DCC the spell details are quite, quite different from those supplied in the 3.5e module. The couple of examples I refer to in post#219 are far from the exceptions, they're the norm. So, yeah, you can drag/drop a spell from the 3.5E spells module into your DCC character, but you'll have to change 95% of it (including the name for some of them), so it's just as easy (if not quicker) to manually the create the spells in the character.

For example, Chill Touch: The only thing that stays the same from 3.5e to DCC is the name and the range, everything else needs to be changed. IMHO - it's just as quick to manually add a spell and fill out the details/copy & paste from the PDF.

In the 3.5e spells mod there are 43 Wizard level 1 spells, in DCC there are 27. So a lot aren't even vaguely relevant to DCC.

I'm not viewing your info as value-less, I'm just struggling to see how, with the vast difference of spell data between 3.5e and DCC, this makes things more efficient/saves time. Or am I missing your point?

I think that time would be much better spent populating the spell template that Leo provided - one time copy/paste to get full DCC spell info in a module rather than copy/paste/edit every time a 3.5e spell is added to a PC.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Sufferin' succotash

Page 126, second column:
    There are 716 wizard spells. No more, no less. This number
    is known because Leetore the Limicker, a great mage of the
    fourth aeon, successfully contacted a somnolent elder god
    that susurrated several secrets (in limerick form, of course)
    before drowsing off forever. It is the measure of success for
    every wizard to fill his spell book with as many of these 716
    spells as can be found in his lifetime.

Thus, the spells that follow are by no means all the spells
    in the world. They are merely some that are known among
    the more quotidian wizards of Aéreth. As most wizards
    will never see more than a few of these spells recorded together,
    they are listed here as a convenience for play, nothing
    more. Should your character ever know more than this
    many spells, he will be a great mage.

Cleric spells are not so rigidly defined. Each god’s domain
    offers both powers and limitations, such that the boundaries
    of a cleric’s magic are a bit more flexible. And the gods
    themselves change over time, of course.

It's ok, you don't have to use them. Maybe someone will; be inspired! The SRD is a treasure trove!
    I really only meant for one to be able to keep the spell name around for ideas, maybe effects, whatever. I'm working on adding spells still myself, and don't have 716 spell ideas right off the top of my head. Could be the spell misfires getting to me. It's not meant to be used as is.
    I'll probably end up using the one leozelig made as a player template. Thanks!
    Last edited by benjihad; November 17th, 2016 at 18:28.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Trenloe on this one. The mercurial nature of magic in DCC as represented by the Spell Check tables is vital to the balance of the game. Unless you plan to write up tables for each and every one of the spells that you import from elsewhere, they would represent a huge shift in power balance towards the wizard's camp -- and as Trenloe said, most of the spells resemble 3.5 spell in name only, but everything else is different.

I chose a completely different tactic than Leo did. I will present this as an alternative to using xml modules or at least as an add-on.

Attachment 16418

All of that was just for one spell "magic missile". If you imported from the module, it would only save you from making just the one spell description sheet which contained 6 short copy/pastes from a pdf, but you would be missing all the rest. Unless you plan to spend time looking up each table out of the book every time a spell is cast, you really have not saved but <1% of the time. Also, it greatly behooves you to put the work in up front, so that the time can be saved during play. It doesn't seem like it is a big deal looking up one little table in a book, but when you are a harried DM trying to herd the chickens and keep track of a million details all while telling a story, and looking up tables gets done routinely, it's worth putting it into fantasy grounds in a manner which is most useful to you.
    Last edited by vodokar; November 17th, 2016 at 00:26.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Blog Entries
    I assume those are tables in a story module? I can see adding xml for the base description and then the judge creating a "rules and tables" module for themselves for when the spell is actually cast.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Yes, everything was entered into a story module manually with copy/paste or typing. This is for the DM. The only thing that the player gets is the normal Spell Description Sheet dragged to their character sheet. Whether you create those manually with copy/paste or import from an xml module, you still have 99% of the work left to do. It was a lot of work, but, it only needs to be done once and will reap the benefits for years to come.
    Last edited by vodokar; November 17th, 2016 at 00:51.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Blog Entries
    The advantage of being an accountant is having a high boredom threshold and once done it does not have to be done again.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Tried installing it with FG 3.2.1 but it doesn't seem to work. The rule books don't seem to appear at all.

What "rule books" are you referring to, Bedshaker? There are no rulebook modules for this ruleset, because it is not officially licensed. Leo created some for his own campaign, but isn't allowed to distribute them. Thus, the fact that "rulebooks" aren't appearing is because there are none.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Thread Information