FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 22 of 52 First ... 12202122232432 ... Last

Thread: DCC RPG Ruleset

Blog Entries
    Ok, it should be working now. Thanks for pointing that out FlightlessScotsman - it was an easy fix. I remember now changing the script because I had an idea about something (that I didn't end up doing), and I never changed the code back... if that makes any sense

But it works for me now. Let me know if the same is not true on your end. You can download from the same link above.

Awesome. I'll give it a look now.

EDIT:
    Looks like the fix did the trick.
    Last edited by FlightlessScotsman; November 15th, 2016 at 12:48.

One more question. I'm kind of at a loss how to go about adding spells to the template module that you created. I'm assuming you have to unpack the module and hand edit the .xml files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all of your hard work @leozelig

Quote Originally Posted by FlightlessScotsman View Post
    One more question. I'm kind of at a loss how to go about adding spells to the template module that you created. I'm assuming you have to unpack the module and hand edit the .xml files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is something I read will be in a future core update. Spells aren't exportable yet, but they will be.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Release-v3-2-1

Quote Originally Posted by benjihad View Post
    This is something I read will be in a future core update. Spells aren't exportable yet, but they will be.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Release-v3-2-1
    I think we're referring to two different things (maybe?)

I was referring to this post in the thread https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post271874

I think we're referring to two different things (maybe?)

I was referring to this post in the thread https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post271874
    I had missed that post, thanks. I believe that yes, you have to edit the XML files in that module to add spells, just tried it out.
    However, I gather we will have the ability to edit spells within FG without XML editing and be able to export them in the near future.

Blog Entries

That's right, I think I set it up so that you fill in the fields with the spell info and copy-paste the template to add additional spells. I have completed modules for everything except spell check tables - my spell entries end after the general description. Too bad I cannot share them. Take a crack at it and let me know if you can't get it to work. I'm sure I can help you figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by leozelig View Post
    That's right, I think I set it up so that you fill in the fields with the spell info and copy-paste the template to add additional spells. I have completed modules for everything except spell check tables - my spell entries end after the general description. Too bad I cannot share them. Take a crack at it and let me know if you can't get it to work. I'm sure I can help you figure it out.
    Page 450 in the new printing shows the OGL and it looks like anything that falls under the System Reference Document is fair game for distribution? Correct me if I'm mistaking the legal mumbo jumbo on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by benjihad View Post
    Page 450 in the new printing shows the OGL and it looks like anything that falls under the System Reference Document is fair game for distribution? Correct me if I'm mistaking the legal mumbo jumbo on that one.
    The OGL on page 450 calls out what is product identity (not covered by the OGL, can't be distributed without the owner's consent) and what is open content (can be distributed with an appropriate accompanying OGL):

Quote Originally Posted by Product Identity
    The following items are hereby designated as Product Identity in accordance with Section 1(e) of the Open Game License, version 1.0: Dungeon Crawl Classics, DCC RPG, Mighty Deed of Arms, spell check, Luck check, spellburn, mercurial magic, corruption, disapproval, all spell names, all proper nouns, capitalized terms, italicized terms, artwork, maps, symbols, depictions, and illustrations, except such elements that already appear in the System Reference Document.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Content
    Designation of Open Content: Subject to the Product Identity designation above, such sections of Chapter One: Characters and Chapter Four: Combat as derive from the SRD are designated as Open Gaming Content.
    Even DCC specific spell names can't be used.

So, benjihad, you're correct: if it's in the SRD you can use it, otherwise not.

However, this really doesn't help. Considering that the DCC spell descriptions are so completely different than the SRD spells - they include DCC specific table/s and other data, that you can't distribute more than the SRD spell names and any SRD data - that might not be DCC compatible/accurate.

For example, the SRD "Bless" spell is not used in DCC - it's called "Blessing", so you can't use the spell name (called out as "product identity"), even if you could, the SRD data for Bless is here: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bless.htm Which doesn't really tie in with the DCC Blessing - which has a different duration and range, and then the Manifestation details and result table couldn't be included as these aren't in the SRD.

And look at the differences between the D&D staple Magic Missile! SRD: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicMissile.htm and the DCC version (page 144 of 4th printing), there's very little that is the same from the SRD and all of the DCC flavour results/tables would be lost.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So theoretically, I could take the 3.5E spells/monsters/magic items modules, change the ruleset to DCCRPG and use those as a guide to get started with some conversions? Is that something I can upload to here?

Thread Information