5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last
    Not sure I agree with you on the healing of hp from vitality loss.

I see it as this if you take 12 points of damage and you max is 20 you are down to 8 HP

You would also take 1 vitality and let's say that reduces max HP by 1 and the player loses
    He would be at

HP 8
    Vitality 19

When he does receive healing he can only heal up to the 19 until he recovers that lost Vitality point

And I do think over heal should recover vitality

Just my 2 cent
    Brice AKA BoringMadman

bnickelsen, the situation you just described regarding vitality damage and healing is how I've implemented it. Because FG tracks wounds instead of remaining hitpoints, in order to keep the same number of remaining hitpoints after losing max HP, you need to reduce the number of wounds. In your example, the player has 12 wounds before factoring in the vitality loss, and 11 after.

Can you give me more information about what you were doing when you got the error?
    +2 License of Ultimate Hosting
    Current Projects: Murder in Baldur's Gate Module
    Completed Projects: Curse of Strahd module, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Module, Out of the Abyss Module, Legacy of the Crystal Shard Module, Scourge of the Sword Coast Module, Effect Targeting Extension (5e), Unearthed Arcana: Vitality Extension

Quote Originally Posted by TASagent View Post
    bnickelsen, the situation you just described regarding vitality damage and healing is how I've implemented it. Because FG tracks wounds instead of remaining hitpoints, in order to keep the same number of remaining hitpoints after losing max HP, you need to reduce the number of wounds. In your example, the player has 12 wounds before factoring in the vitality loss, and 11 after.

Can you give me more information about what you were doing when you got the error?
    So last night I was getting an error during my first official test run with my group. during combat I was getting an error. I would get it when I did something and when the plays did something. So i need to get a player connected to figure out what the players were doing. The error seemed to pop up after several different steps in combat related to damage.

Any way the first thing I have found this morning is that the error is related to NPC's added to the Combat tracker when the extension is loaded in the campaign. So I can can load the game with the extension off, add NPC's to tracker and then exit the game, reload with extension and not receive error. But with the extension loaded and having added an NPC to the combat tracker if you open the NPC sheet from the tracker the error will pop up. There are other things that cause it the error to pop up, I will jump back in and see if I can figure out what the players were doing. I should note that the players did not see or get the error. it just popped up on my screen.
    Brice AKA BoringMadman

Back on the rule.

Here is my observation as your extension seems to working.

PC has the following stats.
    Max HP 50 (+2 con per HD) HD = 2 ( I inflated HP so the PC does not drop after two hits.
    Con 14
    Vitality 14

NPC rolls 14 Damage to PC

Result shown
    WND = 12 Vit =1 Max = 48 I expect to see WND = 14 Vit =1 Max = 48

Second Attack NPC rolls 12 Damage to PC
    Result shown
    WND = 24 Vit =2 Max = 48 I expect to see WND = 26 Vit =2 Max = 48

Third Attack NPC rolls 11 Damage to PC
    Result shown
    WND = 33 Vit =3 Max = 46 I expect to see WND = 37 Vit =3 Max = 46

PC Receives 50 points of healing Manually set wounds to 0
    Result shown
    WND = 0 Vit =3 Max = 46 I expect to see WND = 0 Vit =3 Max = 46

Forth Attack NPC rolls 16 Damage to PC
    Result shown
    WND = 16 Vit =4 Max = 46 I expect to see WND = 16 Vit =4 Max = 46

Fifth Attack NPC rolls 11 Damage to PC
    Result shown
    WND = 25 Vit =5 Max = 44 I expect to see WND = 27 Vit =5 Max = 44

Now this one is a crit
    Sixth attack NPC rolls 18 Damage to PC Crit This drops the PC ..
    Result shown
    WND = 38 Vit =11 Max = 38 I expect to see WND = 40 Vit =10 Max = 40
    Brice AKA BoringMadman

Second case for error.

Applying healing to PC

So after the testing I did above I desided to test healing
    So I had PC 2 target PC1 and click heal. this is the error that comes up
    Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_action_damage.lua"]:1031: attempt to perform arithmetic on global 'nWouldHealAmount' (a nil value)
    Database Notice: Campaign saved.
    Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_action_damage.lua"]:1031: attempt to perform arithmetic on global 'nWouldHealAmount' (a nil value)
    Brice AKA BoringMadman

Hey, thanks for elaborating. Yeah, we agree about what we expect to see, it just sounds like there is a bug or something preventing it from working properly. My initial testing didn't uncover this issue. Just in case - are you running any other extensions? I'll be able to spend some time working on it in a little bit.
    Completed Projects: Curse of Strahd module, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Module, Out of the Abyss Module, Legacy of the Crystal Shard Module, Scourge of the Sword Coast Module, Effect Targeting Extension (5e), Unearthed Arcana: Vitality Extension

Hey, thanks for elaborating. Yeah, we agree about what we expect to see, it just sounds like there is a bug or something preventing it from working properly. My initial testing didn't uncover this issue. Just in case - are you running any other extensions? I'll be able to spend some time working on it in a little bit.
    Just your Extension..
    Just to put this out there just in case

I am running all things 5E current libraries added
    DD Basic Rules - DM
    DD Basic Rules - Player
    DD MM Monster Manual
    DD PHB Deluxe
    and
    DD Lost Mine of Phandelver
    Brice AKA BoringMadman

So, I did find a typo regarding the healing error you experienced. However, I want to revisit your hp log, to make sure I am understanding your properly, because it's not super clear what you're saying.

If a level 2 character with 50 hit points and 14 constitution takes 14 damage he should show:
    Wound: 12 Max HP: 48 Vitality Wound: 1

Were you saying that he did not?

So, I did find a typo regarding the healing error you experienced. However, I want to revisit your hp log, to make sure I am understanding your properly, because it's not super clear what you're saying.

If a level 2 character with 50 hit points and 14 constitution takes 14 damage he should show:

Were you saying that he did not?
    In my chain above the first part was the actual output and the second part is what I expect based on my interpretation.
    So
    Result shown
    WND = 12 Vit =1 Max = 48 I expect to see WND = 14 Vit =1 Max = 48
    Means on the character sheet and tracker (Using your format above) the system did out put

However based on my interpretation of the rule I think it should have been
    Wound: 14 Max HP: 48 Vitality Wound: 1
    Brice AKA BoringMadman

Okay, that's what I thought you might be saying. Let me convince you it should be the first one.

A Character has 5 current hit points, and 15 max hit points. If his max hit points drop by 10, he should have 5/5 hit points. RAW, he isn't supposed to drop his current hit points by any amount he loses off the top. In this case, he goes from having 10 wounds (5 current hp, 15 max), to 0 wounds (5 current hp, 5 max hp).

Thread Information