5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Unearthed Arcana: Vitality Extension

There may be issues with this extension in V 3.2 with drag/dropping class features

Unearthed Arcana: Vitality Extension

Version 0.6
    Compatible with Fantasy Grounds 3.1.2

Implements Vitality as described in this Unearthed Arcana article.

It handles most of the functionality, as well as presenting the HP in a way I like a little more.

What this extensions does:
    • Vitality, Vitality Damage, and Total (base) Hitpoints added to character sheet
    • Vitality damage (I occasionally call it Fatigue) dealt automatically when Combat Damage is received
    • Vitality damage is healed at a 1:10 rate when excess healing is received at full health
    • Vitality damage automagically reduces max HP (leaving Total HP untouched as the true original cap).
    • Resting recovers Vitality damage.
    • Taking Vitality damage heals the lost hit points. This is intentional, as it reproduces the intended rules. If you're at 5/10 Hitpoints, and you lose 2 max hitpoints, you should be at 5/8. Meaning your wounds went from 5 to 3.
    • Healing Vitality Damage does not "wound" you. That would be stupid.
    • Adds temporary HP into displayed current max HP (so negatives will work with Energy Drain).
    • Setting Vitality to 0 should effectively "turn it off" for that character.

This does still need more testing.
    Monsters do not have vitality yet.

I decided not to add Vitality to the Player's combat trackers. They see each party member's current max hp.

As long as the DM has, at one point during the session, opened the Combat Tracker and each of the character sheets, all updates seem to process properly. Seems to be related to an existing FG bug. I've reported it.

It's a bit of a beast in how it clobbers a bunch of existing important scripts. I can totally continue to support this if people are interested. Just let me know if you like it and intend to continue to use it so I can gauge whether it's worth expanding, improving, and keeping up to date.

Updated Character Sheet:
    Attachment 10214

Updated DM Combat Tracker:
    Attachment 10219

Change Log:
    • v0.6 - (08/13/15) Still v0.6, I just reorganized the extension so it will work properly.
    • v0.6 - (07/27/15) Updated for compatibility with Fantasy Grounds v3.1.2
    • v0.5 - (06/15/15) Fixed NPC linking error. Aggressive attempts to link records inadvertently created HP subrecord for NPCs. Fixed. Remove exsting NPCs that won't open properly from the Combat Tracker and readd them to fix the problem.
    • v0.4 - (06/15/15) Removed vitality overheal from just short rest recovery dice. See Notes below for explanation.
    • v0.3 - (06/14/15) Fixed an issue with Character Healing. Should now work properly. No more console errors when heal.
    • v0.2 - (06/11/15) Fixed an issue with Character Sheet submenus. They should now work appropriately. Also updated includes so that Character not added to the Combat Tracker can gain proper Vitality healing from Long Rest.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; November 4th, 2016 at 19:19. Reason: Version Update
    +2 License of Ultimate Hosting
    Current Projects: Murder in Baldur's Gate Module
    Completed Projects: Curse of Strahd module, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Module, Out of the Abyss Module, Legacy of the Crystal Shard Module, Scourge of the Sword Coast Module, Effect Targeting Extension (5e), Unearthed Arcana: Vitality Extension

Adjustments I made to the the Vitality rules:
    • Recovery of Vitality with Long Rests is equal to the larger of 1 and 1 + his constitution modifier. This one was obvious.
    • Recovery of Vitality from healing was expanded to include all overheal, not just a healing effect used when they are already at max HP. In other words, a Heal spell (normally 70HP heal) will restore (up to) 5 points of vitality to a character who has taken 12 damage, not the 0 points the rules suggest. It is possible some people won't like this, but I think most will agree with the call.
    • A character at 0 HP and 0 Vitality is restored to 1 Vitality upon receiving healing (in addition to restoring the appropriate amount of HP). RAW it doesn't seem possible for a downed character to recover short of taking a long rest. After that, he is limited to the options outlined (overheal and long rests).

Notes:
    I made the decision to make recovery of vitality due to Hit dice spent during a short rest entirely manual. Players will want the ability to spend multiple recovery dice at a time, in order to maximize the overheal, and since the interface doesn't natively support that, it will need to be handled manually anyway. Since it would be handled manually, it will only complicate manual calculation if the individual dice handled their own "overheal/10" vitality healing. Now recovery dice (and just recovery dice) won't heal vitality with overheal. Keep in mind you can mark vitality dice used in the Class info screen.

To Do:
    I intend to add notification about Vitality damage to the damage output string, so it will show up in chat.
    Last edited by TASagent; June 15th, 2015 at 14:58.
    Completed Projects: Curse of Strahd module, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Module, Out of the Abyss Module, Legacy of the Crystal Shard Module, Scourge of the Sword Coast Module, Effect Targeting Extension (5e), Unearthed Arcana: Vitality Extension

Today's marks the day I official switched to FG. So begins the learning curve. How ever I can say once I figure out everything else I will be back to grasp this. In the mean time I will track off line.

Blog Entries
    Nice work TASagent - keep them coming.

That's awesome to hear, bnickelsen. It's honestly not that hard to learn. You just have to get over a small "I don't know what I'm doing" hump. I literally started using Fantasy Grounds only a couple weeks ago. I've run a few games with it so far and use for the Combat Tracker in my weekly IRL game. It's a powerful tool, and can make things very fast and easy once you and your players get comfortable with it.

Videos are definitely one of the faster ways of getting up to speed, and the community is great about answering questions and generally being helpful.

Once you've gotten the basics down, you can check out the list I am maintaining here of some Fantasy Grounds features it is possible to miss. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks damned. I should be careful. I don't want to overdo it between patches and then get swamped by maintenance when a new patch comes out. Doesn't do anyone any good to have a bunch of outdated extensions lying around.

You also need to give up on it acting like any other program you've ever used. It has it's own way of doing everything from menus, shortcuts, windows etc. It's VERY confusing if you try to apply any outside logic. Once you give up on it making any sense and get a chance to see what it is doing, you quickly can figure out what to expect and the learning comes fast.

And more on topic, I am also interested in this ext !

Quote Originally Posted by TASagent View Post
    That's awesome to hear, bnickelsen. It's honestly not that hard to learn. You just have to get over a small "I don't know what I'm doing" hump. I literally started using Fantasy Grounds only a couple weeks ago. I've run a few games with it so far and use for the Combat Tracker in my weekly IRL game. It's a powerful tool, and can make things very fast and easy once you and your players get comfortable with it.

Videos are definitely one of the faster ways of getting up to speed, and the community is great about answering questions and generally being helpful.

Once you've gotten the basics down, you can check out the list I am maintaining here of some Fantasy Grounds features it is possible to miss. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks damned. I should be careful. I don't want to overdo it between patches and then get swamped by maintenance when a new patch comes out. Doesn't do anyone any good to have a bunch of outdated extensions lying around.

Awesome TASagent.
    "We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
    M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
    J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring

"It emerges that physics is basic but inessential; that is the crucial fact."
    Wolfgang Smith

I am getting an error when useing this extension.

Ruleset Error: windowcontrol: Database type mismatch for control (hp) in windowclass (npc_combat)
    Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/npc_main.lua"]:64: attempt to index global 'hp' (a nil value)
    Ruleset Error: window: Control(hd) anchoring to an undefined control (hp) in windowclass (npc_combat)
    Ruleset Error: window: Control(hd) anchoring to an undefined control (hp) in windowclass (npc_combat)
    Ruleset Error: windowcontrol: Database type mismatch for control (hp) in windowclass (npc_combat)
    Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/npc_main.lua"]:64: attempt to index global 'hp' (a nil value)
    Brice AKA BoringMadman

Thread Information