STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Elemental Adept in FG

I've got a Wizard in 5e who has the feat Elemental adept. I can't find it in the rule set. Has anyone implemented it? Basically you pick an element, ignore resistances to it and any (1) you roll is treated as a (2) when you roll damage for a spell using that element. Thanks for any help!

There is not currently any support in rule set for ignoring resistances or for automatic renumbering of dice. There is a die reroll capability added for weapons.

Regards,
    JPG

You could set up the damage for the spell as a weapon and give it the attribute REROLL 1

Thanks all! Great suggestions. Trying to avoid "DM to the rescue"

Could you not create an effect with an IF statement to represent these things, like IF(ROLL= 1; DMG: 1) [SELF] that is removed on the next ROLL. OR IF(TARGET EFFECT= RESIST: fire, DMG: "double") [SELF]?

Please forgive syntax errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorillaman13 View Post
    Could you not create an effect with an IF statement to represent these things, like IF(ROLL= 1; DMG: 1) [SELF] that is removed on the next ROLL. OR IF(TARGET EFFECT= RESIST: fire, DMG: "double") [SELF]?
    Boolean logic doesn't exist in effects. All you can do is check if a specific, predefined in the ruleset, condition exists on a target: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ial_Components
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

hmm , can you use custom dice , like 2d4 instead of d8 , 2d5 instead of d10 , 2d3 for d6 ect? ( extension mayby i dunno)
    and you could use the optional conditions extension to make a trigger for IFT to add an amount of damage = to the original damage of the spell , basically bypassing the resistance.
    It seems a little bulky , but possible.

Can I use onDiceTotal() to identify if the roll is a 1 and if true replace it with a 2, and would that be allowable in the damage rolls on a spell? I'm not sure how it would code out either. If it returns a Boolean that on true replaces the result with a number, how do you designate "number?"

onDiceTotal(1,2)?

Quote Originally Posted by DerGrumpy View Post
    Can I use onDiceTotal() to identify if the roll is a 1 and if true replace it with a 2, and would that be allowable in the damage rolls on a spell?
    You could do something in an extension... but the issue with this is how are you going to indicate this in the FG interface? i.e. use your custom code just for specifically this instance, or similar powers; but don't use it for other spell damage rolls. Then you'll have to update your extension code most times that a new 5E ruleset update comes out (quite regularly) which can get quite complex.

FG allows you to do a lot of coding yourself if you want to - which is great and it can be tempting to try to tinker with the code to add functionality such as the Elemental Adept example here. Just be aware that coding for an actively developed/developing ruleset can be a never ending job as you'll have to review and update your code most times that the ruleset is updated, which can quickly become a chore. The 5E ruleset is the most actively developed (and developing) ruleset on Fantasy Grounds at the moment and so there are frequent changes to the 5E code - adding new features and fixing/refining current functionality. Doing your own customisation can result in frustration down the line as you constantly have to try to fit your customisations into a changing codebase. If you're fine with this then go nuts with your coding, if not then I'd recommend working with manual processes for things like this - who knows, this type of functionality might be added to the ruleset at some point in the future...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

i appreciate the info. I was hoping to do all of this in the DMG field for the spell, or for a "weapon" if I have to do fire spells that way for this to work. I'm an accomplished programmer and software engineer so I undertand the complexity of doing this in an extension, and that's why I'm trying to find a workaround within the rule set.

Thread Information