STAR TREK 2d20
Page 70 of 89 First ... 2060686970717280 ... Last

People intelligent enough to play role playing games are generally quite capable of figuring out how to do the data entry. You don’t need to be a programmer. Is it trivial? No. But most things worthwhile in this world take a little while to generate worth. And this is no exception.
    There was nothing disrespectful in Trenloe ‘s email. If the OP doesn’t want to invest the rather small amount of time to figure out how to enter the data then so-be it. But to claim it is an arcane process intelligible only to experts is just not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    1) You do realize this ruleset and the library modules are made by community members in their free time? Complaining about missing data has a fix - why don't you help update what’s there already and give back to the community?
    2) Sure, extensions are a bit more than data entry and do require IT skills. But I wasn’t referring to extensions when I said "Library data is just data entry..." - I was specifically referring to library data in FG modules.
    3) There is a database structure in the modules. That’s exactly what FG modules are - essentially a database, records consisting of fields with values. OK, a lot of the data can’t be inputting through a fancy GUI interface, but it still is just data entry - copy/paste and existing template and enter the new data.
    4) You can create items and vehicles through the FG interface and export into a module.

I’m sorry if this comes across a bit blunt, but I get pretty annoyed when people complain about "stuff" missing in community based projects but then don’t seem to be willing to contribute and help fix what they’re complaining about, or seem to find excuses to not do it (usually related to too difficult, beyond my skills, doesn’t have a nice GUI, etc.). At last that’s the impression I’m getting from your posts, if you're actually willing to learn what to do and to contribute then that’s great and will be most appreciated.

So I need to be clear since obviously my comments were taken out of context. I realize these are community contributions and they take peoples time. I never said anything to suggest I didn't appreciate it nor was I really complaining (and I appreciate Xydonus comment)...I was originally simply following up on someone else's comment and stated that there was a lot of data AND more importantly functionality missing and if it were there it would make the game easier to play. Bluntness doesn't matter to me when it is accurate, but when bluntness is misreading what I said and suggesting this is a mundane task, which it isn't, then I take some issue with your annoyance regarding my comments.

I have found most of the time what needs to be done is far more than just typing. These are not purely cosmetic items that can be typed into a spreadsheet. If they were I would have done it. If they are then let me know where to send my spreadsheet. However, most of the items that might be missing from the database can't be entered with related functionality and it doesn't seem like I can enter new Races, Talents, Force Powers etc at all which are needed to flush out characters and NPCs. If there is a way to enter that in one spot by just typing it in for all future characters I would be interested in learning how to do that.

Maybe I can also create regular items (such as weapons or armor) in the data bases that affect crits/die rolls but that surely isn't obvious to someone who doesn't do this very often or isn't technical. It seems I can only enter items that really have no impact or I have to manually calculate things which I realize many people do. The main purpose to use a VTT, for me, is to automate and book keep. The more I have to manually calculate things then it really slows down the game and this is far more pronounced when you have players who might not know the rules. Not a complaint...just an observation.

I wish there were a simple way to modify the library files or add extensions. Maybe FGU will come up with an easier way to do this. So to end this on a productive note...how does one enter Talents into the library with functionality and then be able to just drag them onto a new character or export 100 new talents, races, force powers or skills to the community?

Quote Originally Posted by watters View Post
    I wish there were a simple way to modify the library files or add extensions. Maybe FGU will come up with an easier way to do this. So to end this on a productive note...how does one enter Talents into the library with functionality and then be able to just drag them onto a new character or export 100 new talents, races, force powers or skills to the community?
    I've created a couple of videos - links below. these are Full HD and show detailed text so you may find it easier, and better quality, to download the videos and play them locally.

See this video for steps on how to add to an existing library module: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x86mpzyg5p...pdate.mp4?dl=1

This shows how, in less than 10 minutes, you can add entries into the existing player module, available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post336494

It shows how you can copy/paste existing entries as examples and enter the data for the new record. Don't be put off by this not being in a spreadsheet or fancy database GUI - the information is a database format, using industry standard XML, and it's really just a case of copy/paste and change the data that's needed. I show this for two example talents in the video. The only "IT skills" you need are being able to extract a ZIP file, copy/paste plain text, re-zip a file and rename it (change the file extension).

If you'd rather create data in the FG interface, see this video (that expands on the first video) for further details on how to enter data directly into the FG interface and then export for use in modules: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3f3asjswx...xport.mp4?dl=0
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by watters View Post
    I would love to have ship functionality as well.
    Can you expand on what you mean by this please?

Ships are handled as "vehicles" - you can assign a vehicle to a PC or NPC and they can be used and tracked in the combat tracker - select the "Show vehicles" check circle at the bottom of the combat tracker. For the PCs starship, the data is tracked through the starship icon on the desktop - PCs can roll their skills checks (Gunnery, for example) directly from the starship sheet with the correct data attached. I usually give the same vehicle to the pilot of the ship - so data from the ship can be seen in the combat tracker, damage applied, etc..

You can enter starship data as a vehicle and drag/drop it on a PC/NPC to assign that craft to them, or manually enter the data directly into the PC sheet.

Star Wars EotE starship combat is pretty abstract - there's not really any tactical movement on a grid, so there's nothing in the ruleset around movement and such.

Sure, there's always room for improvement, but I've done many startship combats (and vehicle combats - speeders, etc.) using the ruleset and it works just fine. Hence why I'm confused by your statement.
    Last edited by Trenloe; June 26th, 2019 at 19:43.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi, I think I have an easy problem. I'm using the FFG Star Wars ruleset V2.1.1d with FG 3.3.7. I'm trying to use the Enhanced Images extension (V2.1.3). But I'm getting these errors on initial load.

Code:
    Ruleset Error: windowclass: Defined with a merge attribute, but the name attribute (imagewindow) does not match an existing windowclass. Skipped. File (campaign/updated_record_image.xml)
    Ruleset Error: windowclass: Defined with a merge attribute, but the name attribute (imagepanelwindow) does not match an existing windowclass. Skipped. File (campaign/updated_record_image.xml)
    Ruleset Error: windowclass: Defined with a merge attribute, but the name attribute (imagewindow_toolbar) does not match an existing windowclass. Skipped. File (campaign/updated_record_image.xml)
    Ruleset Error: windowclass: Defined with a merge attribute, but the name attribute (imagepanelwindow_toolbar) does not match an existing windowclass. Skipped. File (campaign/updated_record_image.xml)
    Runtime Notice: s'dieboxviewlistmanager.lua: onInit()'
    Script Error: [string "scripts/updated_manager_combat.lua"]:7: attempt to index global 'CombatManager' (a nil value)
    Runtime Notice: s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshactorlist'
    Runtime Notice: s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshactorlist'
    Ruleset Warning: chat: Could not find icon ()
    Runtime Notice: s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshdestinychits'
    Runtime Notice: s'chit.lua: handleRefreshdestinyChits()  window.getClass() = lightsidechit'
    Runtime Notice: s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshdestinychits'
    Runtime Notice: s'chit.lua: handleRefreshdestinyChits()  window.getClass() = lightsidechit'
    Runtime Notice: s'chit.lua: handleRefreshdestinyChits()  window.getClass() = darksidechit'
    I'm getting these errors whether or not I activate the Enhanced Images extension. I haven't modified anything yet. I've tried the update to FG (don't think that re-installs current files though), and re-downloaded the FFG SW ruleset. My gut is telling me I just need to re-install something or other that's gone bad. Before re-installing FG, I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by Medriza View Post
    Hi, I think I have an easy problem. I'm using the FFG Star Wars ruleset V2.1.1d with FG 3.3.7. I'm trying to use the Enhanced Images extension (V2.1.3).
    The enhanced images extension isn't compatible with the Star Wars ruleset. The only extensions compatible are listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...set-extensions

I'm getting these errors whether or not I activate the Enhanced Images extension.
    The "Ruleset Error" lines in your post are all definitely from the enhanced images extension. "Ruleset Warning" and "Runtime Notice" entries in the FG console are not errors and can be ignored. You don't need to reinstall anything, just disable the enhanced images extension in your Star Wars campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The enhanced images extension isn't compatible with the Star Wars ruleset. The only extensions compatible are listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...set-extensions
    You are correct! I'm mystified. I did the painstaking 'turn off one extension at a time' method to try to figure out which was causing me trouble (besides Enhanced Images, I was running a few listed at the link above). It was pretty late last night...my only defense. But thanks a ton, Trenloe. This ruleset is fantastic! I cannot believe all the functionality you've been able to squeeze into this.

It was pretty late last night...my only defense. But thanks a ton, Trenloe. This ruleset is fantastic! I cannot believe all the functionality you've been able to squeeze into this.
    Haha, no worries - we've all been there. Glad you like the ruleset!

Any chance of adding the ability to move the chat window? Its a Core ruleset feature, I can look in to doing it myself but finding the time to do it is harsh >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Paddyjuice View Post
    Any chance of adding the ability to move the chat window? Its a Core ruleset feature, I can look in to doing it myself but finding the time to do it is harsh >_<
    Sorry, I'm not doing any coding on this ruleset as present as I have other pressing FG development priorities. Anyone else is always welcome to write community extensions for the ruleset.

Thread Information