STAR TREK 2d20
Page 69 of 89 First ... 1959676869707179 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by viresanimi View Post
    Here's a little "appreciation" post.

In another post, where someone wanted to shame Smiteworks, I mentioned the bugs and kinks you need to deal with and how frustrating it can be to know that this game and ruleset that I love, probably won't see much of an update for a while. But that doens't change the fact that I absolutely love Star Wars and is ever grateful that this was made in the first place!

I am currently running one of the funniest, craziest, emotionally deep, campaigns that I've done in a long long time with my friends, and it happens in Star Wars. And I am loving every moment of it.

I have spent a lot of time creating modules, tokens, battlemaps for our convenience and not a moment was wasted. I even managed to alter the theme I use for the game so the windows I wanted to be larger now are. All thanks to Trenloe giving me a tip of what to look for in the code. Sure it took me a while and a lot of trial an error went into it. But without the help I wouldn't have what I have now. Thanks!

Edge of the Empire is an underappreciated game, and it isn't helped by the fact that Fantasy Flight Games aren't allowed to sell it in any electronic form. Including pdf's. "Because that would be a video game and they don't have the rights for that". *FACEDESK*. Lawyers. The stupidity of legal rights doesn't change the fact that the star wars game is a modern game which fits very well with this universe. More should be playing it, if you ask me.

And if I didn't have this ruleset, I would never have discovered just how much fun this is. So here's a big hug to Trenloe and all the other guys who worked on it.

Vires Animi
    Unfortunately this is due to bad lawyering and bad business judgement. Frankly, I would be surprised if they couldn't negotiate these rights and I negotiate deals all the time related to IP rights. Video game companies have little interest in creating FG type products so I wouldn't see how you couldn't come up with a narrowly tailored deal. I do wish this game was more automated on FG. it would make running the game far more appealing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by watters View Post
    I do wish this game was more automated on FG. it would make running the game far more appealing to me.
    When you refer to automation do you mean base library data or ruleset functionality? If the latter, you're welcome to contribute to the ruleset through writing extensions to add/change functionality.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I mean both. I am not an IT person, but I am a lawyer so my skill aren't creating extensions/rulesets. The library is missing a bunch of data and ships are not yet in the ruleset either.

Quote Originally Posted by watters View Post
    The library is missing a bunch of data and ships are not yet in the ruleset either.
    Library data is just data entry - don't need to be an IT person for that...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Any guesses on how smooth it will be getting this ruleset to work with the unity version?

Quote Originally Posted by Batei View Post
    Any guesses on how smooth it will be getting this ruleset to work with the unity version?
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post438721

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Library data is just data entry - don't need to be an IT person for that...
    Unfortunately, it isn't that easy. I own many rulesets and have played around. In some cases you can just enter data for those items that have no real impact other than cosmetically, but they way FG is set up it is not that user friendly for novices to create items. Actually creating mods and extensions is far more than data entry. Equipment functionality isn't automatic and a lot of equipment is missing in the library as are many skills that impact rolls. Skills are more than just data entry. If you just had a data base structure that I could input data into and the functionality would be enabled by simple drop down menus then maybe I could do it...lol...maybe I am missing something. I would want to update the library module that is was published and is very out of date and I would love to have ship functionality as well.

1) You do realize this ruleset and the library modules are made by community members in their free time? Complaining about missing data has a fix - why don't you help update what’s there already and give back to the community?
    2) Sure, extensions are a bit more than data entry and do require IT skills. But I wasn’t referring to extensions when I said "Library data is just data entry..." - I was specifically referring to library data in FG modules.
    3) There is a database structure in the modules. That’s exactly what FG modules are - essentially a database, records consisting of fields with values. OK, a lot of the data can’t be inputting through a fancy GUI interface, but it still is just data entry - copy/paste and existing template and enter the new data.
    4) You can create items and vehicles through the FG interface and export into a module.

I’m sorry if this comes across a bit blunt, but I get pretty annoyed when people complain about "stuff" missing in community based projects but then don’t seem to be willing to contribute and help fix what they’re complaining about, or seem to find excuses to not do it (usually related to too difficult, beyond my skills, doesn’t have a nice GUI, etc.). At last that’s the impression I’m getting from your posts, if you're actually willing to learn what to do and to contribute then that’s great and will be most appreciated.
    Last edited by Trenloe; June 25th, 2019 at 14:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    1) You do realize this ruleset and the library modules are made by community members in their free time? Complaining about missing data has a fix - why don't you help update what’s there already and give back to the community?
    2) Sure, extensions are a bit more than data entry and do require IT skills. But I wasn’t referring to extensions when I said "Library data is just data entry..." - I was specifically referring to library data in FG modules.
    3) There is a database structure in the modules. That’s exactly what FG modules are - essentially a database, records consisting of fields with values. OK, a lot of the data can’t be inputting through a fancy GUI interface, but it still is just data entry - copy/paste and existing template and enter the new data.
    4) You can create items and vehicles through the FG interface and export into a module.

I’m sorry if this comes across a bit blunt, but I get pretty annoyed when people complain about "stuff" missing in community based projects but then don’t seem to be willing to contribute and help fix what they’re complaining about, or seem to find excuses to not do it (usually related to too difficult, beyond my skills, doesn’t have a nice GUI, etc.). At last that’s the impression I’m getting from your posts, if you're actually willing to learn what to do and to contribute then that’s great and will be most appreciated.
    Just to butt in here, but... I don't think he was complaining. Not gone back to read up his other posts on other pages, but simply referring to Watters post above Trens, I think he's merely pointing out library data can be quite involved, which it can be.

I also think its unfair to just turn around to someone and basically say, "Well, if you got a problem: fix it yourself. Contribute!" There's encouraging others to contribute, then there's hitting someone over the head and telling them to contribute...

And yes. The reality is that this ruleset is community driven with the efforts such as Trenloe and others. I, and I'm sure many others, are very much appreciative of the work that goes into this ruleset.

However, not all of us can contribute for various reasons and what you refer to as 'excuses' is often viable reasons for many.

I understand the annoyance it might cause seeing what might be complaining and what might be toeing the line somewhat, but if it frustrates you that much, and being a moderator as well, might be wise to step back a little as you do represent the community here.

Just to be clear, because I realize my post might be taken in a way that might offend - Got nothing but utmost respect for all the work and effort gone into the community ruleset. I'm merely speaking up because of the comments I've seen above that were directed at another community member, from a moderator, that I felt were unfair.

That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Xydonus View Post
    Just to be clear, because I realize my post might be taken in a way that might offend - Got nothing but utmost respect for all the work and effort gone into the community ruleset. I'm merely speaking up because of the comments I've seen above that were directed at another community member, from a moderator, that I felt were unfair.
    Fair enough. Nice to see people supporting other people. It's easy to take the written word the wrong way, hence why I included the final paragraph of my post, especially the final sentence.

I still stand by what I said in general - if you want to see things updated or added to community content, then I'd recommend getting involved!

Thread Information