5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last

Training Class Workshops - Fantasy Grounds

Hello everyone, I will be conducting hands-on Fantasy Grounds 5e training class workshops once a month, the first Saturday of every month at 9AM ET, over TeamSpeak for DM's new to Fantasy Grounds. The class size will be 6 people.

This class will encompass and teach all features of Fantasy Grounds and 5e functionality, and is specifically focused for DM's playing 5e. The 3 hour workshop will teach all aspects of the Fantasy Grounds interface for DM's, all the buttons and commands and how to use them. We will also build a sample module, including adding monster NPCs, text, treasure, images, maps, and how to link them to the the story. Many more things will be taught also.

The focus will be to provide formal training to DM's with little or no experience with Fantasy Grounds features. You can be an aspiring DM or an experienced one, both will benefit equally from the training if you are new to Fantasy Grounds.

To enter this class you will need either a full or Ultimate licence, we will all have our own DM instances up for the majority of the class, 2/3, as I explain each feature. Please make sure to take notes, a notebook and your favorite pen would be highly recommended, alternatively you could take notes in notepad or even in FG with the notes button, a lot of info will be given at a moderate pace.

Towards the end of the class, 1/3, everyone will log onto my server and a full demo will be given including a full combat encounter. If you're interested in uncovering the full power of Fantasy Grounds, PM me for a spot in a class and you will have the tools to start DMing your own FG groups.
    Last edited by jh79; September 12th, 2015 at 17:15.
    Thanks JH79
    AKA: Valorious Goodspeak: Gold Hill Dwarf Cleric
    Thaldor Hammersmith: Mountain Shield Dwarf

Parsed full versions-5th Edition books in-game: Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, Dungeon Master's Guide

DMing 5e content, currently:
    Lost Mine of Phandelver
    The Chosen
    Playing in Star Wars Edge of the Empire

Ultimate Licence Holder: You play for free
    1000+ Wizards Of The Coast Miniatures used in-game
    Team Speak Address: ts.fg-con.com
    Password: Dungeoneers

That sounds great.

Can I also suggest you try to record it so it can be made available later for other potential DMs to check out

Cheers

I won't be recording for several reasons, but some of the main ones are, the focus of my class is person to person, real-time. Some people like learning from a teacher that is present. Videos are great but they can't answer random questions, or further explain, especially when you just don't get something.

Also they're already plenty of videos from upstanding community members to fill this need. Anyone can just go to the wiki and will find them.

And lastly, some people just don't like to be on video, even their voice. They may shy away just for that reason, in addition to that, I really don't want to deal with getting everyones permission to video them. If interested in a class environment anyone can join one of my classes, otherwise they're are plenty of vids on the wiki. Best of luck either way and happy gaming on FG everyone.
    Last edited by jh79; May 2nd, 2015 at 02:11.
    Thanks JH79

Parsed full versions-5th Edition books in-game: Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, Dungeon Master's Guide

Lost Mine of Phandelver
    The Chosen

The vids we have are good, but they are not fielding questions, they know how it works and may skip something that a question might bring up.
    That is obvious to most but I missed how to do it.

That said I also understand the shyness on being on a stream thing.

Perhaps you can just do a most asked during the class post, after you do the training that covers stuff you were surprised was not common knowledge.

Hope to make one of your classes btw, need to get up to speed, for a game.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Larac View Post
    Perhaps you can just do a most asked during the class post, after you do the training that covers stuff you were surprised was not common knowledge.

Lee
    Unfortunately, these three hour classes is all the time I have to contribute to the community besides DMing the 5e content I currently run. Any videos or follow up posts, etc are just not feasible for me due to family, several FG campaigns, etc. Hopefully people that join my classes will get a lot out of it and then can pass it forward and grow our wonderful community. I got your PM and you are signed up for the next class.
    Thanks JH79

Lost Mine of Phandelver
    The Chosen

Blog Entries
    Hi Larac and vikingbrad there are some Hangout sessions recorded from FG Con 5 - 3 that used the Castles & Crusades ruleset but are very generic (they wont teach you anything 5e specific though) and one Savage Worlds session.
    https://www.fg-con.com/latest-news/f...ut-recordings/
    They are 60-90mins in length. They were down live but I cant remember how many questions and answers occurred - i think mine were mostly driven by me but the Savage one was a little more interactive.

This was a fear I had that this would not work out as a personal class as intended without talk of videos. I'm going to go ahead and do this one class that I committed to and end the idea about personal FG 5e classes. Probably just not a good fit since there are plenty of videos as people have pointed out.
    Thanks JH79

Lost Mine of Phandelver
    The Chosen

Quote Originally Posted by jh79 View Post
    This was a fear I had that this would not work out as a personal class as intended without talk of videos. I'm going to go ahead and do this one class that I committed to and end the idea about personal FG 5e classes.
    Don't be put off by the talk of videos - we were just trying to save you future effort and allow people who couldn't make your sessions to gain something from them via a video at some later date.

You're offering a great service to the FG community, do it the way you want and the way you're comfortable with.

There will always be the need for personal sessions, so please don't be put off by us poking our nose in and making suggestions of videoing the session - they were all well intended suggestions. But, we hear you loud and clear - no videos! Please ignore our unwanted comments and continue offering to run personal sessions... Please...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hey guys, all comments are always welcome, I have also given this some forethought. My intent for these old school person to person classes was to complement the great vids made by our upstanding members and be something in addition too those, another avenue of learning.

The vids I see here on FG are well made step by step instructional videos, great for learning in that manner, where my classes will be more free-form, and can jump around a lot. Great for the student I am jumping around with in person, probably not so great for someone watching a video of it. They would be better off watching a well made step by stepper imo.

So, with that said, after this first person to person class, I will evaluate it and see if this truly does bring additional value to our community, and if it can stand on its own merits like the videos do. Ill get feedback from the participants and decide if this is the case.
    Thanks JH79

Lost Mine of Phandelver
    The Chosen

I think this is a great idea jh79. I reckon some people might find it easier to do a 'face to face' session. I hope this goes well.
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Thread Information