STAR TREK 2d20

relating and older example to a newer codeset

I apologize if this is already listed somewhere; if so yell n00b and kindly direct me to the correct virtual space.

I've done some mod work, and a few ruleset tweaks to things created by other's. I am wanting to get started. I've un-pak'd the coreRPG set and renamed it etc in my appdata. Reading the "Anatomy of a Ruleset" (AoaR) I've been able to add a couple of lines in the overview for the main character. What I would like to do now is add attributes - AoaR references d20 ruleset and things like character_topLevel.xml which I believe is now just record_char.xml I understand templates at least enough to have an idea of what goes there, what I am trying to relate and here's where I hope someone can help me relate an older example to a newer codeset;

As an example if I were reproducing the RQ ruleset windowclass character_characterist is analogous to charsheet_main in coreRpg, and the features list_charmaincategory and list_charmainattribute in template_char.xml are analogous to windowlist characteristics on pg. 9 of AoaR? This is where the functionality would go or am I over thinking it?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
    -d0gb0y

Most rulesets that are built for specific rulesets don't need the list approach to defining attributes on the character sheet. They are all individually specified and placed. (See 3.5E, 4E, 5E, Numenera rulesets for examples)

The big thing to think about when building character sheets for rulesets is to sketch out on paper how you think that you want your character sheet to look when you're done. That will make it easier to place all your field controls and labels when you actually start placing them on the character sheet.

Regards,
    JPG

Thank you kindly for the quick reply, I do kind of have generic power point with some generic layouts out already - I am probably over thinking and just not explaining very well. Will do as suggested and take a look at some of the other rulesets where attributes are more static in nature.

Blog Entries
    Have a look at the MoreCore extension for some basic additions to the CoreRPG ruleset including a couple of extra controls and frames and an extra TAB. Its reasonably well commented. It might help.

Appreciate the suggestion. Thank you.

Thread Information