STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Star Wars should definitely be getting more love. Gorgeous and functional ruleset about to get an upgrade. By next FG Con more DMs should be familiar with 5e so I believe we'll see more of that. Shadowrun? All I can say is wow. I can't wait to play with that ruleset and if it's ready by next FG Con I'm running something, maybe Food Fight! hehe
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

To clarify, (cause I can see people making links about me and the point raised)

I was not talking about niche games, I am talking about the GM's that were running a D&D, Savage world or other popular rulesets, that did not get to run it due to lack of numbers. Niche games is something totally different on why they do not get players. As someone who tends to run niche games, I understand this and it the risk you take. I just felt it needed to be raised, so GM that run popular rulesets get atleast one game in, else they may not try again next CON.

Again there was only 3 or 4 games not ran due to lack of numbers, so again we perhaps giving it more discussion then it needs. This is no reflection on the success of FG Con VI which was damn good.

I think some GMs pulled their games too early. I had *no* bookings at all for over 5 weeks for my non-PFS Pathfinder game and got my first booking with 10 days to go and only got the minimum required with 6 days to go, but I ran with a full session.

But, hey, it's their decision - if they don't want to take the chance of their game not running then it's up to them.

The following graph shows the website hits on a weekly basis - the last two weeks are by far the biggest traffic, so GMs who really want to run their games should hang on a little longer before pulling their event.

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardem View Post
    As someone who tends to run niche games, I understand this and it the risk you take. I just felt it needed to be raised, so GM that run popular rulesets get atleast one game in, else they may not try again next CON.
    That's a good point. I could see this being a good addition as a suggestion for the next GM Muster newsletter.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardem View Post
    To clarify, (cause I can see people making links about me and the point raised)

I was not talking about niche games, I am talking about the GM's that were running a D&D, Savage world or other popular rulesets, that did not get to run it due to lack of numbers. Niche games is something totally different on why they do not get players. As someone who tends to run niche games, I understand this and it the risk you take. I just felt it needed to be raised, so GM that run popular rulesets get atleast one game in, else they may not try again next CON.

Again there was only 3 or 4 games not ran due to lack of numbers, so again we perhaps giving it more discussion then it needs. This is no reflection on the success of FG Con VI which was damn good.
    I probably did think you were talking about niche games but even the popular games/rulesets will have a game that just doesnt attract players for its timing, its genre or its pitch. To compare at FGCon5 we had a peak of 59 games registered and we ran 48 or 49? We had a peak of 60 games for FGCon6 and ran 56. Just like player no shows some games will not go ahead. And it also doesnt mean that we are dismissing your idea/suggestion - just putting forward some differing views

HoloGnome ran 4 games this FGCon - all full - and I dont think he was running any games on FG at the time of FGCon5 - or he was still just starting.

Im totally happy to have a one on one session with a GM who wants a few pointers or needs some encouragement as is Trenloe. We really want to make FGCon as accessible to players AND GMs as possible.

Blog Entries
    I personally pulled two of my games early not because of low bookings (all had met the minimum) but because I felt I had over-committed myself.

Well, a couple of things..

I never thought about it till now, but if a gm was looking for an extra player or two, we could have added that to our name or room title. Would make it simple to scan the list of games on teamspeak to see if anyone had room.Two out of three games I had people join in, looking to join. Both had to be declined due to the time they would have joined. Otherwise I would of had no problem with them joining.

I ran 3 games this year, and it is a huge commitment. I was drained after the third night. But I will never run more then 3, hats off to those who ran 4!

My 3rd game was a classic example of a niche game running Black Crusades, and that one would have been 6 people, but I had 1 no show and 1 person who had a family emergency in the 11th hour. But I really didnt expect it was going to happen as I didnt really advertise it as a game, more of a demo. But it went over well. And most people only booked for it in the last few days.

The one other thing I wanted to suggest could be a way of getting feedback from the players, other then asking them directly which I think would askew the results. But if a player could fill out a form( maybe some sort anonymous website form on the site) ranking their experiences and that be sent to the gm maybe useful. I stated on my blog I wasn't totally convinced about my first game, and I am not really sure why. But if I could get some feedback I could improve it if I they didnt like how I presented it, format, or what ever. Others may not want to read or hear it, but I think some (or maybe just me) would find it beneficial.

Jolly

I think that is a great idea, and could generate some great quote for the next FG CON for advertising.

On the convinced on the first game. I totally know where your coming from. Sometimes as a GM you just get it right the Narrative, the players engagement and everything just flows. However sometimes its just flat, and as a GM its a struggle, and you do not know if that is how the players felt. Normally it doesn't happen in a one shot for me, as there is anticipation on my end, which lead to excitement. But has happened on my weekly game, its just a struggle.

I know it even prior to roll of the first dice, but some time the players do not even notice. So you first game might been OK from a player perspective, and it would be nice to get that feedback expel some of your own demons.

PS loved your blog!

This was my first time playing at FG-Con and pretty much the first time I've used FG. Everything went smoothly for me, there were no technical issues with TS of FG and more importantly, I had loads of fun...more than I had expected. You guys did a top-notch job of organizing and getting this together and all the GMs and players I came into contact with were awesome.

A couple comments:

1. It was mentioned that some games were streamed? Was this announced or posted anywhere? I thought I was up-to-date on what was going on but I don't recall reading anywhere that some games were being streamed. There were a few sessions that I sat in on just to watch (they had already filled up before I had a chance to book), but was advised to ask the GM beforehand for permission to do so since I'd have to log into their TS channel as well as FG session. If the sessions were streamed, I would have preferred to observe via a stream since it would be less invasive for the GM & players and simpler for me since I'd just go to some URL. Also, it might help with FG-Con's visibility because there is possibly a number of people out there (players and GM's alike) who are curious and would want to watch but may not want to participate due to being inexperienced, shy, discovered FG-Con too late to book, or whatnot. But if the difficulty level to only watch were set low (i.e. with streaming) it would provide a venue catering to a larger, observe-only audience and perhaps sway them to participate in a future FG-Con.

2. Regarding the discussion about finding replacement players for when people drop-out or don't show, is there any kind of wait-list mechanic set up? On the FG-Con website, once the player slots are filled, submitting a booking is no longer possible, although posting comments are still possible. Perhaps once the bookings are filled, open up another entry box for a wait-list? The GM can specify how many wait-list spots are available for her/his session and once someone signs up for the wait-list, her/his name is displayed just like those who have a confirmed booking or pending booking confirmation. This wait-list mechanic can work more or less the same as the booking mechanic. That way, when people cancel before the FG-Con begins, there's a steady stream of wait-listed folks to fill the gap. And if there are no-shows or last minute drop-outs, the GM can send an email to the wait-list and see if anyone is available to drop-in at a moment's notice.
    Timezone: GMT+7
    Fantasy Grounds License Type: Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Mask_of_winter View Post
    Besides the usual no-shows I felt like there wasn't enough games this con, especially 5e games that were in demand.
    On the 5E front, I thinking running 5E has gotten a lot easier since the PHB/MM official release and will be even more so once some modules come out for it. Unfortunately the con was already sort of setup by the time that happened. For the next con if there are easy to run modules like LMoP that'd probably go a long way towards getting more GMs in for Fantasy Grounds.

Thread Information