Starfinder Playlist
Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotGun Jolly View Post

The one other thing I wanted to suggest could be a way of getting feedback from the players, other then asking them directly which I think would askew the results. But if a player could fill out a form( maybe some sort anonymous website form on the site) ranking their experiences and that be sent to the gm maybe useful. I stated on my blog I wasn't totally convinced about my first game, and I am not really sure why. But if I could get some feedback I could improve it if I they didnt like how I presented it, format, or what ever. Others may not want to read or hear it, but I think some (or maybe just me) would find it beneficial.

Jolly
    Awww... GMs, aren't we the insecure bunch? hehe

I remember Damian sending out surveys for FG Con II or III. Maybe the response was low and he stopped. He'd have to chime in on that. I think it was neat. I also remember Smiteworks offering rewards based on feedback from the players. I had 17 players one year and only two bothered answering. That tells me players at a convention are like one-night stands, they just want you for a few hours and won't call you back lol

Seriously, you have all your players email addresses. Make your survey with google or survey monkey and send it to them or ask them directly. Best way to get the feedback you need.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Yeah, we've done generic surveys in the past, with a section asking if there was any specific feedback that they wanted to give to their GMs. The problem with this is that to do it accurately, and anonymously if necessary, it takes a lot of manual effort from us to give accurate feedback to the GM - something that the GM might not actually appreciate or we may not be able to accurately do if the player doesn't provide sufficient info (name of game/session and their reasonable feedback for a specific game/session). So I think Mask's recommendation is a sound one - if you want player feedback, do an anonymous survey yourself.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

LMAO

One night stand.. nearly choked on my coffee when i read that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboom View Post
    This was my first time playing at FG-Con and pretty much the first time I've used FG. Everything went smoothly for me, there were no technical issues with TS of FG and more importantly, I had loads of fun...more than I had expected. You guys did a top-notch job of organizing and getting this together and all the GMs and players I came into contact with were awesome.

A couple comments:

1. It was mentioned that some games were streamed? Was this announced or posted anywhere? I thought I was up-to-date on what was going on but I don't recall reading anywhere that some games were being streamed. There were a few sessions that I sat in on just to watch (they had already filled up before I had a chance to book), but was advised to ask the GM beforehand for permission to do so since I'd have to log into their TS channel as well as FG session. If the sessions were streamed, I would have preferred to observe via a stream since it would be less invasive for the GM & players and simpler for me since I'd just go to some URL. Also, it might help with FG-Con's visibility because there is possibly a number of people out there (players and GM's alike) who are curious and would want to watch but may not want to participate due to being inexperienced, shy, discovered FG-Con too late to book, or whatnot. But if the difficulty level to only watch were set low (i.e. with streaming) it would provide a venue catering to a larger, observe-only audience and perhaps sway them to participate in a future FG-Con.

2. Regarding the discussion about finding replacement players for when people drop-out or don't show, is there any kind of wait-list mechanic set up? On the FG-Con website, once the player slots are filled, submitting a booking is no longer possible, although posting comments are still possible. Perhaps once the bookings are filled, open up another entry box for a wait-list? The GM can specify how many wait-list spots are available for her/his session and once someone signs up for the wait-list, her/his name is displayed just like those who have a confirmed booking or pending booking confirmation. This wait-list mechanic can work more or less the same as the booking mechanic. That way, when people cancel before the FG-Con begins, there's a steady stream of wait-listed folks to fill the gap. And if there are no-shows or last minute drop-outs, the GM can send an email to the wait-list and see if anyone is available to drop-in at a moment's notice.
    Hey BigBoom - for Adventurers League games to be played online they must be streamed so the 2 AL games were streamed. 2 other games got streamed. This was all done by individuals. We are looking at trying to stream a whole bunch of games for next FGCon. There is a lot of coordination to make all these things happen. It certainly would be easier and non intrusive for people to watch other games if they were being streamed.

Building a booking system is incredibly complex. Off the shelf booking systems do not understand the nature of multiple timezones and virtual events. Its quite a complex task. A suggestion in another thread was to be able to mark the TeamSpeak channels as having room for another, adding a wait/standby list to the booking system etc are all good ideas and we will see what we can achieve.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracones View Post
    On the 5E front, I thinking running 5E has gotten a lot easier since the PHB/MM official release and will be even more so once some modules come out for it. Unfortunately the con was already sort of setup by the time that happened. For the next con if there are easy to run modules like LMoP that'd probably go a long way towards getting more GMs in for Fantasy Grounds.
    5e was out and some people had already par5ed source material by FGCon5 but there were not a lot of games run. This time around there was both the availability of the 5e licensed books plus there was all the interest as that happened less than 2 weeks before FGCon6. Timing of FGCon6 is set 3 months prior to the event. The negotiations with Wizards took over 12 months. Co-ordinating FGCon with Fantasy Grounds product releases (another was Steam) is basically impossible as there are so many moving parts in contractual and technical and marketing discussions/negotiations/implementations.

But there definitely was a lot of 5e interest and a few of the 5e GMs are now building the AL community - like the PFS community - and this will be great for FGCon and for 5e in general. Pathfinder and Savage Worlds have been the backbone in terms of numbers of events and players for most of the FGCons. Getting D&D played heavily again is great news, great or gaming in general and great for FGCon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mask_of_winter View Post
    Awww... GMs, aren't we the insecure bunch? hehe

I remember Damian sending out surveys for FG Con II or III. Maybe the response was low and he stopped. He'd have to chime in on that. I think it was neat. I also remember Smiteworks offering rewards based on feedback from the players. I had 17 players one year and only two bothered answering. That tells me players at a convention are like one-night stands, they just want you for a few hours and won't call you back lol

Seriously, you have all your players email addresses. Make your survey with google or survey monkey and send it to them or ask them directly. Best way to get the feedback you need.
    We actually got really good feedback and a pretty good response rate - even the negative feedback was great to help us learn what to improve upon.
    Giving specific feedback to GMs wasnt really possible with this format though - but as a whole it did give us some good data.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Hey BigBoom - for Adventurers League games to be played online they must be streamed so the 2 AL games were streamed. 2 other games got streamed. This was all done by individuals. We are looking at trying to stream a whole bunch of games for next FGCon. There is a lot of coordination to make all these things happen. It certainly would be easier and non intrusive for people to watch other games if they were being streamed.
    If anyone is interested after the fact, the stream from the full Adventurer League session I ran is still available for viewing at www.twitch.tv/talwynor. (although, now that Im revisting, I see that my mic wasn't captured...Ill have to fix that for next session.)
    Last edited by Talen; April 22nd, 2015 at 11:58.

I ran 3 x 5e games at various time intervals to give people plenty of choice. I had to turn people away. I had several drop out and they were filled again before I could blink. 5e was definitely popular. I had one guy turn up in TS and ask me if he could watch. My answer, here's a character, how bout playing? he was stoked! my knowledge of using FG for DMing is suspect, but we managed to have loads of fun and complete the adventures. Several players emailed me some compliments and also asked about permanent games. Therefore I am not convinced you have to be fully conversant with FG, just enough that you can run the game in your own style.

I think my experience with FG Con as a GM for the first time was very positive. I was also very impressed with the level of roleplaying in a lot of cases, that certainly enhanced the games. Also a shout out to Mario who assisted with sound effects, for my creepy, ghostly pirate adventure, The Secret of the Crispy Goblin. I will certainly be up for DM duties in FG Con VII, but perhaps just one session per day so i can also play!
    Last edited by Gadreun; April 22nd, 2015 at 11:20.
    Ultimate license

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadreun View Post
    I ran 3 x 5e games at various time intervals to give people plenty of choice. I had to turn people away. I had several drop out and they were filled again before I could blink. 5e was definitely popular. I had one guy turn up in TS and ask me if he could watch. My answer, here's a character, how bout playing? he was stoked! my knowledge of using FG for DMing is suspect, but we managed to have loads of fun and complete the adventures. Several players emailed me some compliments and also asked about permanent games. Therefore I am not convinced you have to be fully conversant with FG, just enough that you can run the game in your own style.

I think my experience with FG Con as a GM for the first time was very positive. I was also very impressed with the level of roleplaying in a lot of cases, that certainly enhanced the games. Also a shout out to Mario who assisted with sound effects, for my creepy, ghostly pirate adventure, The Secret of the Crispy Goblin. I will certainly be up for DM duties in FG Con VII, but perhaps just one session per day so i can also play!
    Go the Kiwis! Well done Gadreun.
    Backing onto some earlier posts - Gadreun was a GM many years ago but had never GMd on Fantasy Grounds until about 8 weeks ago.
    So folks dont be shy. I play in a regular campaign with Gadreun and hes ripping it up!

Thanks again to the organizers who allowed me to run a 5e game at the Con last minute. There was a concern that people would see my game posted and jump from other games to play in my game. I apologize to the other GMs if that happened. It was not my intent to snag your players. I ran a low level old school 1e converted to 5e classic Keep on the Borderlands. Over the course of a 6 hour game, the players managed to role play while at the Keep, ventured into the valley of the Caves of Chaos and entered the goblin cave. During the course of the game, the party was bombarded by goblins, the ogre and a wandering group of kobolds. The party was successful in vanquishing their foes (The GM could've TPK'd the party, but due to a party member genius and benenvolence on the part of the GM, TPK was avoided). The dwarf fighter went down in combat repeatedly and ended up with broken ribs (I love that lingering injuries table in the DMG!), but was magically healed by a cure wounds spell. At the end of the game, the party members had gained enough XP to make it to 2nd level.

Next year, I will register earlier with another classic 1e to 5e converted adventure.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Timezone: UTC -6

DM: 1e Ruins of Adventure, Curse of the Azure Bonds
    DM: 5e Descent into Avernus
    D&D 1e to 5e adventures converted: Keep on the Borderlands, White Plume Mountain, Tomb of Horrors, Against the Giants, Descent into the Depths of the Earth, Shrine of the Kuo-Toa, Vault of the Drow, Queen of the Demon Web Pits
    Transitioning from D&D to DCC

May your dice rolls be ever in your favor.

Thread Information