5E Character Create Playlist
Page 5 of 6 First ... 3456 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreapsu View Post
    I know Raymond Gaustadnes (https://www.rpgartkits.com/) commercially licenses all his tokens for around $200 - couldn't these or something he creates be used in future modules?
    Are you aware that Fantasy Grounds comes with his tokens as token modules for free? Creatures, Characters and Monsters - in top/down transparent background and pog format.

As Zeus says, it's not FG's call as to whether to add more non-WotC sourced/approved artwork/tokens into the WotC modules. But you, as a user in your own campaign, can use the free Raymond tokens in your WotC modules - just a quick drag/drop to change a letter token to one of Raymond's tokens in an NPC or encounter record, before you add the NPC/encounter to the combat tracker, and off you go.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    If you want to call it lazy, that's fine. I disagree since I know how much work we put into it. You can override the tokens on the maps by dragging over a single token to the encounter before you hit the button to place them on the map using any tokens that you've purchased, built or acquired from elsewhere.

When you license products commercially, you can't just do what you want with it. There is a very specific art direction with D&D that is specific to *this* version of D&D. In addition to the cost to create or license new artwork, it would have to go through another approval process which would also have to be managed and take additional time and oversight.

Smiteworks is not in the business of creating content. We license stuff and let other content creator's works shine. For tokens, some people like the top-down style, some like the style in FDP tokens. The same holds true for maps. Not every encounter provides a map. There are some publishers that we have who do great work but include almost no maps at all. We include screenshots that even show the letter tokens in a few cases. You already know that it is this way. If you are looking for a reason not to buy it or not to buy it at a certain price, then that is up to you.

Blog Entries
    Raymond's tokens cost us $2,000 to commercially license and give to all our FG users as a free upgrade. I think there are significant limitations to the $200 option.

As I said I have already purchased the product.

It seems feedback is only welcome if it's resoundingly positive. That's fine, I'll keep it in mind.

It seems feedback is only welcome if it's resoundingly positive. That's fine, I'll keep it in mind.
    I don't get that impression from them at all. They've offered a solution to your suggestion and they've explained why the problem isn't an easy one to fix. It's obviously not as simple as getting a license for tokens and then dropping them into the official WoTC stuff.
    Ultimate License Holder
    5e, Call of Cthulhu DM

Blog Entries

Feedback is all quite obviously listened to. SmiteWorks have a different view to yours. That doesnt mean they havent listened. It looks like they have listened and have explained their position. Your view/complaint is quite reasonable but then so is the response. The product is an important product of the IP holders and the art is a very big part of that.

I think all you need to do to see how open SmiteWorks are about "something's broken" is to look at the dev responses (Zeus and Moon Wizard) to the issues raised in the 5E bug thread. The devs respond and thank people for their feedback - many of that feedback could be construed as less than positive but the devs all take it on board. The devs have responded to your feedback and given you reasons why they can't do what you request. Just because they haven't thanked you profusely and gone against the agreements with Wizards to do what you want doesn't mean that your feedback isn't welcome, it's just that they can't implement what you want.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I've spent the last 4 weeks parsing and putting together POTA within my campaign in FG. I've changed a lot of maps, encounters and even story elements to fit my campaign. I've added in a fair amount of history and breadcrumbs as well.

The feedback in here is quite negative considering how much work and energy the Devs put into the site and getting content released for it with WoTC. If you're not happy, then add the content yourself. Since when was a DM's job supposed to be easy and a few rolls (clicks) and you have an adventure from lvl 1 - 20 ? Releax and stop being so damned demanding. You can always enter all this in yourself from your book purchase by typing it manually and guess what its free so no double costs. As someone that still has and used old pewter figurines, $80 box sets for maps and lore and almost all the source books in the 80s-90s, the prices here and the options we have are amazing.

Thanks guys for your hard (and some times thankless) work on getting this content available for us. I'll be buying my second copy from you today to help re-enforce what I have already done and I'll be looking forward to more content being released soon.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I feel like I have to add my two cents. I love the PotA. I understand that people don't want numbers and letters a tokens. But even if that were valid, it's only minimally valid, because in a token in general there aren't super detailed portraits like the character portrait or anything like that. All a token has to do is occupy a spot on the map. There should be enough different ones so that they don't all looks the same. Numbers and letters fill that void. Sure it would be great to have glorious pieces of art as a token but it is by no means necessary.

The Devs seemed to have been very patient and thorough in their explanations. I haven't played all the way through. I just started so I don't know everything about it. But in all of the issues I've faced and seen on these boards the folks at fantasy grounds and community at large seems to have gone out of their way to be supportive, and helpful in all kinds of ways to make the experience fun for the users. I have to tip my hat to the customer service for everyone at fantasy grounds. In my own personal experience as well as what I've read on these boards, it's been sensational. In fact it was the great customer service that inspired me to buy PotA

I'm impressed.

Echoing the Baron, I too appreciate the fact that we all have direct access to the SmiteWorks team, and that they are all responsive to our feedback. Now if they would just fix my dice...

Thread Information