5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Is fog of war a thing in Fantasy Grounds?

Coming from maptools I was wondering if dynamic fog of war is a feature that is either already there now or planned for a future release in FantasyGrounds. I used FG years ago but moved over to maptools because of those features not being there. Now that FG seems to have increased momentum and D20pro getting a fog of war I thought it might be interesting to see what FG is up to in regards to FOW + dynamic lighting.

Blog Entries
    There is no Dynamic Lighting or Fog of War. Nor is it likely to be on the current short list as the current game engine doesnt multi-thread and so high computational things like this would impact the rest of the system. Once the Unity rewrite is completed it is likely to get god consideration.

FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

The Fog of War is manual, the DM reveals it as the players move along the map.

Fantasy Grounds has the focus on story and the characters, rather than the map. So the map functionality is a little limited when compared to map-centric tactical VTTs like Maptool, Battlegrounds or roll20. That said, it's top on the wishlist and might well get looked at in the FG Unity build (as damned mentioned above). Vote for the functionality on the wishlist (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/).
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

On your map there is a small icon in the top left corner of a mask. try it

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian View Post
    Fantasy Grounds has the focus on story and the characters, rather than the map.
    Well, what's the problem with having a focus on story and at the same time decent map system? :P I am not complaining, as I am satisfied with what I paid for, but I hope to see some new features being implemented, everything evolves, why not FG map system? If money is the issue, maybe we could do some "kickstarting". I.e. people "vote" with money they put as "points" (1$ = 1 point) to certain ideas proposed by developers and top three winning proposals are being implemented thanks to the money collected this way
    English is not my native language, I apologize for any grammar mistakes or awkward choice of words.

Quote Originally Posted by kane280484 View Post
    Well, what's the problem with having a focus on story and at the same time decent map system? :P I am not complaining, as I am satisfied with what I paid for, but I hope to see some new features being implemented, everything evolves, why not FG map system? If money is the issue, maybe we could do some "kickstarting". I.e. people "vote" with money they put as "points" (1$ = 1 point) to certain ideas proposed by developers and top three winning proposals are being implemented thanks to the money collected this way
    I don't think money is the issue; as damned said above it is a limitation of the engine which Fantasy Grounds uses. As he also said there is going to be a switch to another engine which might well mean that this feature could be more easily implemented.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I don't think money is the issue; as damned said above it is a limitation of the engine which Fantasy Grounds uses. As he also said there is going to be a switch to another engine which might well mean that this feature could be more easily implemented.
    Oh I think money always helps. The model where you sell a one time license in a niche market means you are gonna run out of money somewhere!
    This will be possible in the Unity Engine and probably there will be an upgrade fee to go to FG 4 when it arrives.

FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

Quote Originally Posted by kane280484 View Post
    ...but I hope to see some new features being implemented...
    I'm sure in the one year you've been on Fantasy Grounds you've seen a lot of new features - how many updates to Fantasy Grounds have been done during that time? At least 6, if not more... Fantasy Grounds certainly isn't standing still - take the recent 5E developments as an excellent example. And, has been said, there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes to move the platform to Unity which will allow more options within the system. This will take a lot of effort to move to the new platform, along with the other improvements and new functionality that we have grown used to regularly getting.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

As a brand new customer, something I think Smiteworks is working hard to aquire I find it disconcerting to read posts like this. Seeing statements like "Fantasy Grounds is more about the story", "It has Mask of War, so just use it." Those aren't statements I think they would want new customers to see. I think someone said that this software is changing and doing a good job of adding features. In that case I think they would be very open to seeing what customers in general are looking for and since Dynamic Lighting is #1 in the voting for a new feature I think that would be very high on their list. Just because "You" (That's a general You...) don't want or like Dynamic Lighting, it's a feature that is very popular and you shouldn't play it down.

As a long time user of Roll20, and a new customer for FGounds I think that's one large feature they are lacking to make this hands down the best product for VTT on the market. (I personally don't care about the costs, but that's an issue for some.) I was really attracted to this product because they have a great piece of software and are working to make it better. Also, I really liked that they worked to get the licensing from WoTC which should pay off for them and the user base.

With all that said, please don't disregard peoples opinions when it comes to things they would like to see in the software. There are a lot of people that would like to see Dynamic Lighting in Fantasy Grounds, and I think they know that. Remember if you don't want to use it.. just don't. That doesn't' affect you in any way.. but if I want to use it and it's not available that does affect me. Which might turn people away from this great product and I think it would be in everyone's best interest to grow the player base as much as possible.

Fyn

Thread Information