STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    I just thought you were that fast.

Thanks for your work, Siggy442. Consider me a customer!

I've successfully downloaded and used your extension, and like what I see. It'll be quite helpful, since I'm hoping to run a DFRPG campaign down the line, and starting with the Night Fears one shot sample adventure provided by Evil Hat. I'd already started building those into two rulesets, both by Valarian: his original DFRPG and the more recent Fate Core. The good news is that your new DFRPG Extension for Fate Core seemlessly converted what I'd built previously to your new format. See screen shot:
    Attachment 9635

One issue I've noticed: new PC's created with the DFRPG Extension all are created with blank skills, whether or not the "Blank Skills" extension is used. I don't know if this is intentional or not. (I prefer having the skills populate to save typing. Ideally the two extensions could be compatible with one another for maximum GM flexibility.)

Your NPC sheet format is also very nice, and seems more ready-made for Fate. One minor issue there: when I typed more than one Aspect for an NPC, the display of the Stress Tracks and box for Consequences pushed down the window, accessible only by scroll bar. It'd be an appreciated feature if this window was resizable (by dragging the corner) so it could all fit in one eye-shot. (I couldn't work out how to do this.)

Final issue: compare your (very nice) new PC and NPC sheet formats to this screenshot of Valarian's original DFRPG ruleset:
    Attachment 9636

There are many tabs (for both PC and NPC sheets) included in the latter with space for recording the many things tracked by (the more complex, compared to the streamlined Fate Core) DFRPG. As someone new to both rulesets, I plead agnostic on which format is most desirable. Perhaps Valarian has already put thought into the whether and why of the redesign and could share some comments?
    Last edited by Hector Trelane; April 20th, 2015 at 21:17.

Running: The One Ring and GUMSHOE--Esoterrorists (on hold); intermittently Fiasco and DramaSystem/Hillfolk
    Want to play: Pendragon, City of Mist, Dresden Files RPG, Orpheus, Changeling, Apocalpse World and more PbtA, Bluebeards Bride, Shadows of Esteren; anything by Bully Pulpit Games

Thanks, Hector. Your comments are appreciated!

With regards to the skills, that was actually intentional. The reason I left the skills out on purpose was in order to err on the side of less rules. That is to say, while the skills for FateCore and the DFRPG are similar, there are some noticeable difference. In the interest of not getting into any copyright issues, I went ahead and removed the pre-written skills outright. It's an easy fix to add the original FateCore skills back, but that's why I did it that way. If someone else more experienced than myself has a word on what's ok for me to put there (I presume the original FateCore skills are fine), I'll happily edit it to be more helpful for players.

As far as the window resizing, that's already an option! You just need to click ctrl and then click on the corner of the window (bottom right). Then you can resize the window as you like. I just left the sizing as it was originally in order to maintain the ability to have a bunch of NPCs up at once without there being too much clutter.

Not sure on the last one. The reason the main is the way it is currently is because it has all the stuff the GM is typically going to need to see immediately. Skills and Stunts were kept together because they usually have an impact on one another... aaaaand because I wanted to keep the window's original size, in order to avoid cluttering the screen too much. Some of this was also limited by my coding skill with what we currently have, so there's that.

Window resizing [facepalm]... I simply forgot the basic controls. Thanks!

Good to know on the skills population feature, too.

As I get the chance to build the adventure into the ruleset further, I'll share more thoughts.

Running: The One Ring and GUMSHOE--Esoterrorists (on hold); intermittently Fiasco and DramaSystem/Hillfolk
    Want to play: Pendragon, City of Mist, Dresden Files RPG, Orpheus, Changeling, Apocalpse World and more PbtA, Bluebeards Bride, Shadows of Esteren; anything by Bully Pulpit Games

I'd leave the skills out. Putting Fate Core skills back in will lock those skills for editing (if you do manage to remove a skill and close the character sheet, the skill gets loaded back in when you open it again). A simple right-click and add will enable people to put the skills in for Dresden Files. It's a little clunky, having to add the skills in each time, but I also err'd on the side of caution and didn't put a skills list in for the original DFRPG ruleset. Fred Hicks' agreement was "no rules = okay". Fan-made character sheets in PDF form don't usually have skills in them, so I didn't put them in either.
    Last edited by Valarian; April 22nd, 2015 at 08:27.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy442 View Post
    Posting here to document progress on the extension of the FateCore RPG that we have to be able to make it functional for the Dresden Files RPG. As I'm fairly new to this, and I tend to have to relearn coding every year or so (believe me, there is such thing as having too many hobbies), this make take a while, but I'm dedicated to it, as this is one of my favorite RPGs. I'm going to list some of the things that would need to be altered somewhat in order for the FateCore ruleset we have now to work with the DFRPG. I'll also be noting as I make progress on some of these things, which will be... well, trial and error comes to mind.

Please, if the community has any suggestions of things I should be trying to add or consider, let me know. I'm new here, and this is something of my first project. There's going to be a few bumps along the way, I'm sure.

Character Sheer
    • Change Aspects to have a High Concept and Trouble section - DONE
    • Add Social Stress Track. - DONE
    • Add the option to add additional stress tracks. - DONE
    • Add a Debt counter. - DONE

NPCs
    • Change NPC format to allow for quicker building of NPCs, possibly similar to what a PC character sheet looks like? - DONE

The extension is now relatively complete. There were no theme changes or the like - my artistic skills are lacking, though if I ever find someone who can help me out on this front, I'll let you know. But, without further adieu, the extension is attached. The sheets, both PC and NPC, should function pretty well for a DFRPG game.

Dresden Files Extension
    Hi,

Thank you for this development. It is not working for me, however... I have just downloaded your zipped file, unzipped it and copied it to the relevant folders, but to no avail. Would you please help out a green one and let me know how to get this file. I would like to start a Mindjammer campaign and for this a flexible stress track section is required. There are 3-4 stress tracks and I would like to incorporate all into the character template.

Thank you in advance,
    Norbert

theharper,

When you download the file, does it have a file extension? .zip, .pad, .ext???

The link in the first post is for an extension (.ext)

This goes directly into the 'extensions' folder for Fantasy Grounds (on my Windows 8 box, that would be:
    C:\Users\BoomerET\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\Extensions

Hope this helps,

BoomerET

Just noticed, on the link, you'll need to click the down -> arrow that will download the file, as opposed to downloading everything individually.
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

And you need to activate this extension in a FateCore campaign - it isn't it own ruleset.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    And you need to activate this extension in a FateCore campaign - it isn't it own ruleset.
    Gents,

Thank you very much! It is working now. sorry for that, but one more question: How can I edit the stress tracks? I would like to have four with mostly different names...

Thanx a lot,
    Norbert

That would require you to make changes to the extension (Provided the extension is where the stress tracks are defined). Do you know LUA and XML?

BoomerET
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

Thread Information