5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkwind View Post
    is Smiteworks in a position to be a store sponsor and provide magic item certificates?
    I've reached out to Doug and Zeus to see if that is a possibility. I like the idea of a store sponsorship as the certifications and player/gm support would be nice. The good news is, while it would enhance, its not required for online games and doesn't limit your character*if you don't have a certificate - even if you subsequently play in a store game. The other thing to keep in mind is that if we run these as a store sponsored game, we will have to report the games. That's not a dealbreaker, but it is another level of administration to factor in.

FWIW, even with the extra tracking requirement, Id like to see it!

*trades of magic items are prohibited without a cert.
    Last edited by Talen; April 18th, 2015 at 13:00.

I play regularly at my local store and am a sub dm on occasion when necessary so have access already to the modules. I am new to FG but have been DMing online via roll20 for a while. I am curious, what is the overhead in FG for prepping an Aleague module like? Has anyone fully configured one yet? Just curious on the time required etc.

Quote Originally Posted by metacynical View Post
    I play regularly at my local store and am a sub dm on occasion when necessary so have access already to the modules. I am new to FG but have been DMing online via roll20 for a while. I am curious, what is the overhead in FG for prepping an Aleague module like? Has anyone fully configured one yet? Just curious on the time required etc.
    The conversion of a module varies. It generally takes me a couple hours per adventure - I'm sure there are others doing it faster and slower. The licensed player and monster modules makes the conversion process MUCH faster. If you check out Xorn's video tutorials, he does a great job of walking people through the process. If you have an specific questions, let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    The conversion of a module varies. It generally takes me a couple hours per adventure - I'm sure there are others doing it faster and slower. The licensed player and monster modules makes the conversion process MUCH faster. If you check out Xorn's video tutorials, he does a great job of walking people through the process. If you have an specific questions, let us know.
    Thanks, Talen, for the info. And for the direction to Xorn's tutorials -- I will check them out. I own the phb/mmanual and a personal license as well as phandelver. I wanted to get an idea of effort level before investing in a universal license but it sounds like the effort isn't too bad at all... Once I start converting some modules (after proper education ), I will give my debriefing! And then I will figure out how to arrange with the community for some public play sessions!.

OK great, thanks Talen. Will try watching the vids. I went ahead with the ultimate license and am seeing about converting my Sunday AM game with local friends to FG (it's phandelver, so hopefully it's easy...). I will start working on converting a few of the expeditions modules and see how they turn out. Hopefully I can get an expedition game up and available for participants in a few weeks.

Just remember that the first few attempts at organizing an adventure and/or module takes a while longer, but once you get into how the system really works and know all the ins and outs of FG, it really is a breeze. I made short dungeon adventure for 5e, complete with a new map, story, notes for traps etc., treasure parcels, monsters, inventory tokens placed, with everything pinned to the map in about an hour yesterday. I love the new 5E modules. It has gotten my friends and me back into D&D.

Vires Animi

Yep, I'm working on getting the Return to Temple of Elemental Evil 35e into FG and adjusting it for a Pathfinder game. I've probably spent about 6 hours total, a lot of that is OCR scan issues, figuring out if I need to adjust for version differences, finding maps, creating NPC's (and then converting to Pathfinder), and re-organizing my campaign module. But this is a MASSIVE module to do that with.

VenomousFiligree
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    I've reached out to Doug and Zeus to see if that is a possibility. I like the idea of a store sponsorship as the certifications and player/gm support would be nice. The good news is, while it would enhance, its not required for online games and doesn't limit your character*if you don't have a certificate - even if you subsequently play in a store game. The other thing to keep in mind is that if we run these as a store sponsored game, we will have to report the games. That's not a dealbreaker, but it is another level of administration to factor in.

FWIW, even with the extra tracking requirement, Id like to see it!

*trades of magic items are prohibited without a cert.
    Did they get back to you?

They did and they have reached out to Wizards to discuss various issues regarding Adventure League support under their license. Their contact at Wizards was on vacation last week so they were waiting to hear back. No word from the Wizards camp yet.

In addition, I reached out to Robert Adducci, the Adventure League Community Manager at Wizards. He indicated that the extent of online support is currently being discussed, but did not have any details to share with me at this time.

I have made some CC3+ maps for the ones I've started to add in. I'm no expert map-maker, but it does add a little extra flair over the hand-drawn ones in the DDEXs. It'd be nice to know the extent of the online support WotC is going to give us.
    Classic & Unity Ultimate License
    Timezone: US Central Time [CST = GMT-6/CDT = GMT-5]

Thread Information