DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Map Extraction Problem.. 'The Wounded Wisp'

I'm prepping my game for FG Con VI and I've run into an issue that I haven't really had before...
    I can extra the pictures from the PDF normally, (click the image, CTRL-C, paste into photoshop, save), but when I try this method with the maps it gives me a grayscale 'black' image... no map. Has anyone else run into this issue with this PDF? Are they creating these in some new way that prevents map extraction?
    As I said.. the normal pictures (monsters and the like) work just fine... it's only the maps that are tweaking.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Try extractpdf.com or one of the free image extractor apps like Nitro reader. Many times Paizo will use two-layer images, the raw image and a mask, and you might be running into something like this and only getting the mask when you try to copy. I use extractpdf.com all the time to extract images and it works pretty well, although it does have a maximum file size limitation.

ya, I've been using that extractpdf.com site... works awesome
    FGU Ultimate License - Savage Worlds GM

And if nothing else, Snipping Tool is your buddy. Make the map as big as possible on your screen then copy.

Around the beginning of Season 6 Paizo upgraded their Adobe system that creates the PDFs. It is at this point that the issue you describe occurred. Apparently (based off Paizo responses on some threads on Paizo.com) this is something to do with the way the newer version puts the image layers in the PDF and how Adobe Reader (and other Adobe PDF products) read those layers. Apps like NitroPDF and others read them correctly (probably because they're aware of the issue and code for it - whereas Adobe don't want to/aren't will to code for it).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Darren, that solution worked and made it simple.. gave me some solutions for other image problems as well.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

With all due respect, I think there are risks to using extractpdf.com. You're sending copyrighted material stamped with your paizo username/ID to be stored on remote servers in Switzerland (Amsterdam? France?) with no guarantee of where it will end up, despite whatever they put in their privacy policy. After you upload the file, you have absolutely no ability to enforce anything and no expectation of privacy. In the best case, they're on the level, in the worst case, ???

I just use GIMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    I just use GIMP.
    To extract the images from the PDF or take screenshots and edit in GIMP?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information