STAR TREK 2d20

How to manage (i.e., bring into and out of an encounter) summoned creatures?

First off, a summoned creature is just another NPC, right? That much I get.

We had our first summoned creature the other night, and I managed to muddle through, but I'd like to hear the recommended step-by-step for using one in FG from, say, Blackfoot's Summonable Monsters module.

I'm not going to go through what I did, there's no point. If someone who Knows, would just post how they do it, I would appreciate it.

For example, the PCs have engaged Elyrium in the Temple in the Catacombs under the Glassworks (RotRL), and she and her familiar are, along with the PCs, in the combat tracker. Suddenly she flies out of the temple, but takes a moment to summon a Goblin Dog at the Temple entrance. What do I do? (again, from the FG point-of-view, not the PFRPG rules)

Thanks.

- s.west

1. Drag the NPC link into the Combat Tracker (from the Summonable Monsters module, say)
    2. Drag a token onto the NPC (if it doesn't have one already)
    3. Drag the token from the Combat Tracker onto the map
    4. Drag the "friendly" faction button (green face) from the bottom of the Combat Tracker onto the NPC's entry
    5. Adjust the NPC's initiative in the Combat Tracker (if necessary - usually to the summoner's initiative)
    6. Make the NPC visible to the players in the Combat Tracker
    7. If you want a player to control the NPC, drag the NPC link from the Combat Tracker to the appropriate PC portrait
    Last edited by Callum; March 3rd, 2015 at 12:38.

Thank you for those directions.

So, does the act of dragging the link to the CT make a 'copy' of the NPC? i.e., so that you can add the token?

And, on that point, I think I am missing a fundamental concept about when, or how, you create something 'new' in your campaign's (?) xml.. Does that make sense?

I'm thinking, specifically, about items, like found weapons or other treasure. For example, when you drag a 'parcel' onto the Party Sheet... what happens if I remove the module where that parcel was defined?

Sorry for bringing additional questions into this thread, but maybe they're related...

Blog Entries
    There are 2 ways I do this:

One
    Similar situation:
    You have a number of encounters/locations very close to each other and if you start something noisy in one, the actors in the other location are likely to hear and join in.

Create all your Encounters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx7CtPsdNbA
    and

For your summoned creatures you could roll them up before the game and add them as an encounter before the game.
    A your fight progresses and the second party or summoned creature becomes engaged activate that encounter.

Two
    Create your Encounter (as above) INCLUDING all your summoned (potentially) creatures (roll on the table in your game prep or just choose a mix of them - some high powered ones in case the party is flying thru or some low powered ones if they are struggling). Activate the Encounter but only make visible the Round 1 actors. When a creature is summoned just make him visible. If an actor is never required - doesnt matter.

FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

That's really good stuff... Thanks!

- s.west

Always wanted to know how to get them on the map automatically. Thanks

Thread Information